#1 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:51 PM

Thought I would post a topic on my latest project. I plan to put a 1293 turbo engine into my mini thirty. I'll post pics & clips of the car running in due course. I've always wanted a turbo engine, and started looking into used engines, but didn't make financial sense to invest so much money into a iffy engine, that's tired, and worn, at best.

The spec list.

Block

Engine bored and CNC honed to 0.020” making it a 1293cc fitted omega 10cc cast race pistons, ARP rod bolts fitted, new cam bearings, phase 2 billet X drilled oil fed hi performance turbo camshaft, crank ground 10/10 fitted with heavy duty main and big end bearings, std thrust bearings, centre main strap fitted with hi spec cat bolts, hi capacity steel backed oil pump. conrods soda blasted 

block face flashed 0.020”new high capacity water pump, new core plugs, all oil gallery pugs removed & cleaned and fitted with hex plugs, duplex rotor slide adjustable cam drive, fitted with IWIS minimum stretch chain, cam timed in @108 deg. 
Supplied with Cam chain cover, new oil seal, plus crank damper, crankshaft fully dynamically balanced to 14000 rpm

DSCN6849_zpsqj71n1wb.jpg

DSCN6848_zpsplkofgfm.jpg

I plan to run a gt1752 turbo, minispares clubman straight cut gearset, top spec turbo head, 2wd cosworth intercooler, megasquirt running a couple of sensors EDIS, PLAYMINI 2''.

The block was built by steve benross, and he will also be doing my cylinder head.

Let the games begin. :)

Edited by Anthony30, 27 May 2019 - 12:44 PM.

#2 TobyM2018

TobyM2018

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:08 PM

Wow thats quite a build.

The obvious question from me as a newbie is what is the overall cost and is it worth it for the performance? Would you get better using a different unit entirely? Only asking... It's your car! :)

#3 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:17 PM

Wow thats quite a build.

The obvious question from me as a newbie is what is the overall cost and is it worth it for the performance? Would you get better using a different unit entirely? Only asking... It's your car! :)

Well, It's a mini, and I don't have the heart to remove the a series engine. I like them so much. :shades:  Potential power figures are hard to quote, because you only really know when it goes bang, which I'm not willing to do. :lol: It will be a genuine over 200BHP capable spec engine. I will be running it low boost 5/6 PSI roughly for about 1 year to run it in, then up the boost to around 10 PSI, giving around 140-150 BHP. I think the engine is well worth the money I'm paying. Not cheap by any means, but It's the old power/reliability/Cheap dilemma. 

#4 TobyM2018

TobyM2018

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:34 PM

If I'm honest I really like that response and agree with it. I would also much prefer to keep with an original unit... not really sure why other than it just seems a bit b.s to use anything else.

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear your estimated figures. Again as a newbie they are a bit above my expectation. I look forward to hearing what else you will do to the car to help you put it down

#5 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:11 PM

Sounds like a solid build. For me the Mini has to have an A-Series in some form, so it's good to see another turbo.
Engine conversions hold no interest for me, once you fit a different motor the Mini loses some of its charm in my opinion.

Phil.

#6 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:20 AM

Does look a good spec, I would use a 4 pin diff, and preferably a turbo sized 1st motion pilot bearing / flywheel housing too.

Have you considered flowing the oil pump and its ports ? Where the oil filter head ports into the block is another. The oil really gets some hammer in a tuned turbo engine.

7dZAhKw.jpg

#7 burchy35

burchy35

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:10 PM

You wont be disappointed with that benross motor, cracking bloke and he has always done my motors. We are putting a 1460 turbo together which should be ready for the mini action day at Blyton.
Good luck and enjoy the ups and downs of A series turboing. There are a lot of people with a lot of knowledge on these forums like phil who are always there for advice.

Roy B

#8 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:34 PM

You wont be disappointed with that benross motor, cracking bloke and he has always done my motors. We are putting a 1460 turbo together which should be ready for the mini action day at Blyton.
Good luck and enjoy the ups and downs of A series turboing. There are a lot of people with a lot of knowledge on these forums like phil who are always there for advice.

Roy B

Nice crank and conrods.  :highfive:  :lol: Posh sod.

Edited by Anthony30, 15 February 2018 - 09:34 PM.

#9 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:36 PM

Roy B

I've been researching turbo engine for a couple of years. reading on here and turbo minis. can't wait.

#10 mini_man96

mini_man96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:41 AM

Thought I would post a topic on my latest project. I plan to put a 1293 turbo engine into my mini thirty. I'll post pics & clips of the car running in due course. I've always wanted a turbo engine, and started looking into used engines, but didn't make financial sense to invest so much money into a iffy engine, that's tired, and worn, at best.

The spec list.

Block
Engine bored and CNC honed to 0.020” making it a 1293cc fitted omega 10cc cast race pistons, ARP rod bolts fitted, new cam bearings, phase 2 billet X drilled oil fed hi performance turbo camshaft, crank ground 10/10 fitted with heavy duty main and big end bearings, std thrust bearings, centre main strap fitted with hi spec cat bolts, hi capacity steel backed oil pump. conrods soda blasted [/size]block face flashed 0.020”new high capacity water pump, new core plugs, all oil gallery pugs removed & cleaned and fitted with hex plugs, duplex rotor slide adjustable cam drive, fitted with IWIS minimum stretch chain, cam timed in @108 deg. [/size]Supplied with Cam chain cover, new oil seal, plus crank damper, crankshaft fully dynamically balanced to 14000 rpm[/size]

I plan to run a gt1752 turbo, minispares clubman straight cut gearset, top spec turbo head, 2wd cosworth intercooler, megasquirt running a couple of sensors EDIS, PLAYMINI 2''.[/size]

The block was built by steve benross, and he will also be doing my cylinder head.

Sounds like a great build! Will the megasquirt just be running the ignition or will it be fuel injected as well?

#11 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:22 PM

The spec list.

Block
Engine bored and CNC honed to 0.020” making it a 1293cc fitted omega 10cc cast race pistons, ARP rod bolts fitted, new cam bearings, phase 2 billet X drilled oil fed hi performance turbo camshaft, crank ground 10/10 fitted with heavy duty main and big end bearings, std thrust bearings, centre main strap fitted with hi spec cat bolts, hi capacity steel backed oil pump. conrods soda blasted [/size]block face flashed 0.020”new high capacity water pump, new core plugs, all oil gallery pugs removed & cleaned and fitted with hex plugs, duplex rotor slide adjustable cam drive, fitted with IWIS minimum stretch chain, cam timed in @108 deg. [/size]Supplied with Cam chain cover, new oil seal, plus crank damper, crankshaft fully dynamically balanced to 14000 rpm[/size]

I plan to run a gt1752 turbo, minispares clubman straight cut gearset, top spec turbo head, 2wd cosworth intercooler, megasquirt running a couple of sensors EDIS, PLAYMINI 2''.[/size]

Sounds like a great build! Will the megasquirt just be running the ignition or will it be fuel injected as well?

Might as well go megajolt if just staying ignition.

#12 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:33 PM

Roy B

Benross is a great bloke, you lose hours just chatting to him. He done me a 1098 short engine and box, should have seen the state it was given to him and what i recieved are worlds apart. He also done my turbo gearbox and head, the whole lot i think. I bought them off people who were selling up but he had done the work.

#13 mini_man96

mini_man96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:02 PM

Thought I would post a topic on my latest project. I plan to put a 1293 turbo engine into my mini thirty. I'll post pics & clips of the car running in due course. I've always wanted a turbo engine, and started looking into used engines, but didn't make financial sense to invest so much money into a iffy engine, that's tired, and worn, at best. The spec list. BlockEngine bored and CNC honed to 0.020” making it a 1293cc fitted omega 10cc cast race pistons, ARP rod bolts fitted, new cam bearings, phase 2 billet X drilled oil fed hi performance turbo camshaft, crank ground 10/10 fitted with heavy duty main and big end bearings, std thrust bearings, centre main strap fitted with hi spec cat bolts, hi capacity steel backed oil pump. conrods soda blasted [/size]block face flashed 0.020”new high capacity water pump, new core plugs, all oil gallery pugs removed & cleaned and fitted with hex plugs, duplex rotor slide adjustable cam drive, fitted with IWIS minimum stretch chain, cam timed in @108 deg. [/size]Supplied with Cam chain cover, new oil seal, plus crank damper, crankshaft fully dynamically balanced to 14000 rpm[/size] I plan to run a gt1752 turbo, minispares clubman straight cut gearset, top spec turbo head, 2wd cosworth intercooler, megasquirt running a couple of sensors EDIS, PLAYMINI 2''.[/size] The block was built by steve benross, and he will also be doing my cylinder head. Let the games begin. :)

My thoughts exactly, or Nodiz is a similar solution.

#14 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:45 PM

The spec list.

Block

Yeah. I've had the ecu for a while, and was planning on going the injection route at the time. I also want a couple of sensors ect. so the extra features over megajolt will be used.

#15 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:49 PM

The spec list.

Block

Only running ignition. Might go 7 port in the distant future.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users