#1 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:31 PM

Hi guys,
Im a new member and long time Mini fan. I recently had to buy a van as I went self employed, leaving a car shaped void in my life! So for the first time I could get a car that I dont need to rely on, and it doesnt matter if its off the road for weeks on end.
My original plan was to buy a very tatty but solid Mini, strip it down to a bucket seat and stick a more powerful engine in it, but my plans changed when my girlfriend got wind of it and decided she wanted in. So now the plan changed to a nice presentable car with a nice full interior and a bit of extra go (and essentially doubled my budget!)
This lead us to buy this 1989 Mini Racing Green!

7FC93562-6C74-4EA5-8D8A-7430A28F9F18_zps

After an eventful 130 mile drive home involving multiple break downs and a terrifying stint on the M6 with no lights or wipers, all caused by the alternator deciding it had earned retirement, it was home, and I was for some reason absolutely in love with it!

3B3B4613-B953-4659-82C6-8A7D5FB1E139_zps
47A62F2E-02BD-4AF1-B9DF-3F8FE3CAF134_zps

Its not had the easiest life, but the bodywork isnt too bad and most importantly its solid. Had a good look over it and replaced inner CV gaiters, the alternator, and a few other bits and it looks good to go.... except I thought whilst its in the garage hiding from the cold I may as well supercharge it! So thats on order =D

Sorry for the essay, Im still a little excitable with the car! Been looking through some projects on here recently and love what some of you guys are doing so thought Id share my own project.

#2 Archived1

Archived1

Super Mini Mad

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:58 PM

Nice little mini that! Good choice

#3 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:08 PM

Nice little mini that! Good choice

Thanks. Its not bad, a few crusty bits but the important stuff is good. Bodywork will be next years project though, want to get the mechanicals spot on first.

#4 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:14 PM

This is how it currently looks under the bonnet. After realising that the split CV gaiter was caused by it fouling the LCB manifold I had to remove this to adjust the pipe.
The radiator had to come out to access the speedo drive as the speedo was reading miles out, its had a new engine at some point, and obviously the worm and pinion were never swapped to the correct ratio.
At this point I decided to order the supercharger as Id been planning to do it eventually, and didnt see the logic in doing it all twice!

8DB45245-49EB-47E6-9772-5BCDBA498B2E_zps

In the meantime Ill be giving it a good clean and lick of paint under the bonnet.

Edited by Dannyboolahlah, 15 February 2018 - 08:15 PM.

#5 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:08 PM

Loving this little car, my first car i learn to drive it was a 1990 Mini Racing Green and I am gutted i sold it all those years back see in about a 5 years ago at a show but not see it since.

Enjoy this little thing, is the engine a 1275 then?

#6 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

Loving this little car, my first car i learn to drive it was a 1990 Mini Racing Green and I am gutted i sold it all those years back see in about a 5 years ago at a show but not see it since.

Enjoy this little thing, is the engine a 1275 then?

No its still a 998. Not sure why it was changed.
May get a 1275 one day.

My original plan was a Ford 1.0 Ecoboost engine. But is a bit too tall and itd end up costing a fortune as Id have to get everything fabricated. Then looked at Rover K series conversions, and then settled on the supercharger for simplicity and avoids cutting the front end off.

#7 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:14 AM

Which charger kit have you ordered there are afew out there at the mo? Keep getting tempted myself and I have essentially the same car as you only mines been resprayed. Looks like a good project

#8 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:04 PM

Gone for the Vmaxscart kit with the twin Webber carb :D

#9 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:09 PM

Todays effort. Its not gone well if Im honest. Discovered the steering column is bent somehow (car doesnt seem to have been crashed), and the dash is a nightmare to fit. Nothing wants to line up right and the vents are now too far back so Ill have to make some sort of duct to connect them.

80C49BE6-B147-40E7-ACD7-6EAB822F71D6_zps

#10 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:51 PM

Very interested to follow your supercharger build! I love the look of that kit and it's on my wish list.

#11 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:35 PM

27A9E10A-592A-40C1-BB82-51521BE4223A_zps

Dash is now in (excuse the mess and terrible photography). I naively thought a genuine dash would fit straight in! Had to raise the top rail pad slightly and extend the vents but got there eventually.
Also fitted the steering wheel and gearknob I got from Bingley along with the dash; along with a new steering column thats a bit less hockey stick shaped than the old one!

Was hoping for a nice clock between the boost and oil pressure gauges but I nearly fell over when I saw the price!! Thought theyd be half the price of the functual gauges, not double! And the radio right below has the time on it so its difficult to justify £60/70 for a bit of bling.
I was also hoping I could get the glass off the boost gauge to put something over the Turbo lettering, but I cant do thats just going to have to annoy me forever.

Supercharger will hopefully be here at the end of the week!!! :D

Edited by Dannyboolahlah, 26 February 2018 - 05:37 PM.

#12 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:25 PM

My LHD version of what you did, in my Racing Green. Keep at it, it will turn out fine once you're done!

Edited by Magneto, 26 February 2018 - 10:29 PM.

#13 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:43 PM

The glass must come of the boost gauge somehow - how is the bezel attached?

#14 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:50 AM

My LHD version of what you did, in my Racing Green. Keep at it, it will turn out fine once you're done!

Thanks.
... well now I want magnolia dials instead!

#15 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:52 AM

The glass must come of the boost gauge somehow - how is the bezel attached?

The bezel just spins fairly loosely around. At a guess Id say it just clicks on, but I dont want to damage it trying to open it up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users