#16 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:07 PM

My LHD version of what you did, in my Racing Green. Keep at it, it will turn out fine once you're done!

Thanks.
... well now I want magnolia dials instead!

I know, mine had the dark green faces as well, a mate had this spare triple clock in magnolia off his SPI as he wanted the three clock center binnacle, so we made a deal, and I later added the three center gauges. I found the magnolia faces much easier to read, but with the wood dash the angle of the instrument faces is different, so same issue......not so easy to read.

#17 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:51 PM

74574D22-EEC6-4E5A-85F4-C05E79709A57_zps

:-D

Looks very well made but need to iron out a few issues before I can go ahead full steam. The kit uses 1275 head gaskets and decompression plate to achieve the right chamber size, but some of the coolant passages dont seem to line up right.

#18 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:56 AM

9DF2F487-8E47-44CA-9615-4F439B955E35_zps

#19 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:42 AM

Yes please that thing looks the nuts! Love it!

#20 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

A698614F-C813-4000-BD7A-5747963BABD1_zps

So.. got this far and going to have to hold off now until my bits arrive to sort the fuel pump.
Plan was to use the mechanical pump for now, but turns out its leaking. So Ive ordered a blanking plate for it, and need to decide what to do with the electric pump.

Im thinking:
Feed from ignition at fuse box, switch hidden in the cabin somewhere, to a relay in the boot, switching a fused feed directly from the battery via an inertia switch to pump under rear subframe. Or maybe this is overkill, and I can use the feed from the main fuse box to supply the pump.
Also undecided on which pump to go for. The basic Facet seems plenty, and wont require a regulator, but I may need to upgrade again if I decide to chase more power.

#21 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:41 AM

The faucet block pump is a good reliable solution, you can run off the main switched fuse as the pump draws very little power....if you want to put in a switch for extra safety or theft proofing, that's easy to do.

The supercharger looks terrific, can't wait to hear how it runs now....you are running filters, right?

Edited by Magneto, 18 March 2018 - 03:43 AM.

#22 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

Unfortunately yes, I have a foam filter that stretches over the trumpets. But it looks much less cool with it on!

Ive ordered the pump and blanking plate, so hopefully I can get this finished in the next week or so.
Still unsure what to do with the engine breather,going to have to get everything else in place and work out if I can fit a catch tank somewhere.

#23 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:48 AM

minibay.jpg?raw=1

Engine bay done except a jubilee clip, a Tee for the vacuum hoses, and I need a shorter belt for the supercharger.
Just the electric fuel pump to install, and an exhaust then its ready to start up!

Edited by Dannyboolahlah, 21 March 2018 - 10:51 AM.

#24 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

Small update on this.... it broke!
The 1275 decompression plate and gaskets that I was concerned about didnt work. Its worked perfectly fine for loads of people Ive asked, but due to the unique way Austin/Rover did things, my head is slightly different to every other one they made. One of the coolant ways seems to be 3mm larger than it should be, which caused it to blow the headgaskets the first time I started it! :(
New decompression plate made from a 998 gasket template is on the way for attempt 2.

#25 Jc1991

Jc1991

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:20 AM

nice to see another racing green edition, love what your doing with the supercharger.

#26 998cc

998cc

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:14 PM

nice build, what is your crank pulley size?

im running the old set up with m45 and hiff 44 on a 998 cc 

998cc decom plate is temporary, a 12g202 head is ready to be modified so no decom plate is needed 

for now with standard pump next step is facet block and filterking reg

look forward to your next update 

#27 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:20 PM

I never thought to measure it to be honest.

Its running now. The 998 decompression plate works fine. Had serious trouble finding somewhere to tune it though, nowhere around here seems to do it. The nearest is Minisport, whos rolling road is out of action!
So Ive fitted a wideband and Ill have to have a go myself even if is just temporary to get it to a rolling road further away. Just waiting to get the manifold Y-piece back from a mate whos welding the bung on.
Its taken much much much longer than anticipated but its all coming together now.

Took delivery of some Metro Turbo brakes today to keep me busy when the engines done! They want stripping, painting, new seals/nipples etc.

#28 998cc

998cc

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:27 PM

wideband works fine, i use one on it

itruns a bit rich but better than lean, do you run standard ignition?

i had a standard distributor first, now a 123 distributor so advance curves can be set

and it is a massive difference 

keep on the build :D  

#29 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:38 PM

Still on standard ignition yes. Set to 26 degrees btdc at 4K rpm as recommended. Seems to bog down at low revs, but not sure if this is due to mixture or timing. The wideband should help work it out.

#30 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:10 PM

Widebands in. Timing was out.
Now it’s all good, it’s awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users