19 replies to this topic

#1 Glenny1481

Glenny1481

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:56 PM

So basically I've just fitted two new front shockies and both front plastic arches, and also fitted wider wheels and now my wheels are rubbing on the arches as soon as I turn really bad, and also ripped my nice new arch clean off. What are the options to stop it from rubbing ideally something that isn't going to cost me a fortune.

Thanks

Glen

#2 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:09 PM

You can raise it for free by fitting washers between the trumpets and the knuckles. Every mm of washer thickness gives you about 3mm height increase. It's a bit of work though.

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,923 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:17 PM

So basically I've just fitted two new front shockies

Just be aware that Shocks don't raise the car or hold it up what so ever.

You need to either swap out the rubber cones, or if not sagged too much, fit Hi-los, which - to an extent - allow for adjustment of the ride height, however, be aware, they are not a 'fix' for worn out Rubber Cones.

#4 Glenny1481

Glenny1481

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

You need to either swap out the rubber cones, or if not sagged too much, fit Hi-los, which - to an extent - allow for adjustment of the ride height, however, be aware, they are not a 'fix' for worn out Rubber Cones.

So a set of rubber cones and a pair of hi lo's should sort my problem without any cutting of the arches?

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:12 PM

So a set of rubber cones and a pair of hi lo's should sort my problem without any cutting of the arches?

A pair of cones, hilos and knuckles will fix the issue aslong as the wheels aren't wider than 5 inches

#6 Glenny1481

Glenny1481

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:16 PM

A pair of cones, hilos and knuckles will fix the issue aslong as the wheels aren't wider than 5 inches

Aaaaannd what if the wheels are 6" wide

#7 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:10 PM

Then if 10" no problem...... but i suspect we're talking 12  or 13" then things get very snug indeed and in some instances a bit of arch trimming & lip reforming may be required...also depends  on the profile of the tyres you have on

Dampers changing has nothing to do with things - how much clearance do you need? as raising the front by either spacing the balljoint/trumpet or fitting hilos will adversely affect the handling if overdone - if cones & balljoints in good order then most effective option if you're determined to keep your wheels is  bit of restrained body modding....

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,923 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:12 PM

Usually.

It's more so when you get in to bigger diameter wheels and / or high off-set wheels that you need to cut the arches.

I've run 6.0" wheels on a Mini without issue.

#9 Glenny1481

Glenny1481

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:01 AM

Then if 10" no problem...... but i suspect we're talking 12  or 13" then things get very snug indeed and in some instances a bit of arch trimming & lip reforming may be required...also depends  on the profile of the tyres you have on

Dampers changing has nothing to do with things - how much clearance do you need? as raising the front by either spacing the balljoint/trumpet or fitting hilos will adversely affect the handling if overdone - if cones & balljoints in good order then most effective option if you're determined to keep your wheels is  bit of restrained body modding....

I think because my shockies were pretty dead for some time it's maybe knackered the cone because it sits lower on the right side than it does on the left by two finger widths. I've ordered two new cones and a set of hi lo's with knuckle joints so I'll see how that does

#10 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:55 AM

Then you will need to trim the arches. I have used a set of 12*5 inch wide minilights with new tyres which just caught the lip, fitted 12*6 inch and they stopped rack travel early

#11 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:32 AM

6" width wheels often cause a problem with tyre to wing clearance. Even 5" can be a problem

The tolerances of manufacturing make this a bigger or smaller problem and if the caster angle is too great the wheel will be at the forward end of its tolerance position.

Before cutting and re-shaping the wing lip and thus the position of any arch extension it is worth having the caster checked. It can be between about 3.5 degrees and 2.75 degrees. If the wheel is too far forward because of caster a set of adjustable tie rods is a good idea as the caster can be set accurately to 2.75 degrees. 

Once this is done, if there is still wing to tyre interference the wheel arches will need to be cut and re-shaped.

Setting the ride height to standard or maybe 1/2" about standard when fitting new cones to allow for some sinkage will help some more, but most of us with wider wheels have had to re-shape the front of the wheel arch. I know I have and I run up to 5" wide x 10" wheels. If running extensions it is easy to do as you don't need to re-paint the wing in that area. If running without arch extensions the paint needs to be 'fixed' after fettling to get clearance..

#12 Glenny1481

Glenny1481

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:06 AM

Usually.

It's more so when you get in to bigger diameter wheels and / or high off-set wheels that you need to cut the arches.

I've run 6.0" wheels on a Mini without issue.

The new wheels are 6x12 and even my old ones, which were 4.5x12 rubbed on the right side slightly now that I think about so was probably very stupid of me to assume a set of shockies would stop my new much wider wheels from rubbing. I'm pretty certain that the cones and hi lo's will sort it. Like you said you've ran 6" wide before and not had problems so I'm hoping I'll be in the same boat. Thanks

#13 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:08 PM

make sure you have ordered quality cones

#14 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:45 PM

make sure you have ordered quality cones

Good point! Red spot cones are my recommendation

#15 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:48 PM

Aaaaannd what if the wheels are 6" wide

You get the angle grinder out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users