Photo

How Can I Improve A Very Poor Spray Can Paint Job?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:28 PM

Hi all
I got my mini back in September and It is now pretty much ready to have an MOT and Im dying to take her out on the road.
The 1 thing really letting it down is the paintwork. Everything is solid and no welding is needed but sadly the last owner has done some shoddy filler work (not the end of the world) and has resprayed everything apart from the roof with what Im guessing is Halfords primula yellow rattle cans... the paint has a dull chalky finish which is hard to capture in photos but it doesnt look or feel very nice...
My plan is to wet sand 1500 and 3000 grit then polish to see if I can at least get an acceptable finish out of whats there.
I know really it needs respraying but i really want to use it this summer and I dont have endless funds to spend.

Has anyone got any tips? Should I put on a layer of clear coat? Would this improve anything?

#2 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:56 PM

Depending on your funds, sanding will be a good thing to do, although you run the risk of burning through the paint.
Could consider a vinyl roof from optmise automotive.

#3 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:04 PM

just use a course cutting compound and see what it gives

#4 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:13 PM

Looking at your photos it'd need wet and drying but would probably rub through to the primer to get it smooth. Depending on what sort of finish you want it may pay to rub down a panel at a time and if you rub through paint it, then move onto the next panel, would be costly in rattle cans though.

#5 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:43 PM

Looking at your photos it'd need wet and drying but would probably rub through to the primer to get it smooth. Depending on what sort of finish you want it may pay to rub down a panel at a time and if you rub through paint it, then move onto the next panel, would be costly in rattle cans though.

I know Im never going to achieve a concourse finish with whats there but just something that isnt hideous and is at least the same texture across panels! I currently have some smooth glossy areas and then chalky areas...
My thought process is to enjoy the mini this summer then if I can justify the cost to have a respray next winter when the cars off the road.

#6 ashparry_

ashparry_

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:17 AM

You don't get a build with aerosols so you'll break through very easily when flatting

#7 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:16 PM

Few beers and a mate round and some 1200 in soapy water, see what you're left with after a couple hours and go from there. It's either gonna be carry on sanding it with 400 and respray , or it comes up ok and you can mop it with some compound and get a shine out of it

Merv

#8 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:47 PM

I know Im stabbing in the dark for ideas but Ive got next week off work and no plans.... Im gonna have a day with some 1200/2000 wet and dry and see if I can smooth things up...
Would a coat of clear lacquer improve things do you all think?
Is there a chance the previous owner has just sprayed base coat and thats why I have a chalky feeling dull finish..
Like Ive said Im not looking for showroom finish as this is my first summer with the mini so I just want something that isnt hideous so I can have some days out in the sun.

Maybe next winter will be a full strip down and respray if I have the money but this year I really want to enjoy driving it (before anything else breaks!)

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,895 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

Don't use 1200, use 2000 with plenty of soapy water. Would not bother with Lacquer at this point in time, you may well end up wasting more money.

#10 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:04 PM

Don't use 1200, use 2000 with plenty of soapy water. Would not bother with Lacquer at this point in time, you may well end up wasting more money.

Ok will get some 2000 grit
I have a air orbital sander, would this be too aggressive and better off done by hand??

Why would you not bother with lacquer would this not provide extra material to create shine (sorry I have very little understanding of paint but am trying to learn!)

Thanks

#11 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:21 PM

2000 and a bucket of warm soapy (car shampoo) water by hand.

An orbital sander will just go through very quickly.

I would flat and polish a panel at a time. that way, it breaks up the monotony of hand flatting and give you a boost as you see it start to improve.

Assuming the aerosol paint was a solid colour, then you should get a shine without the need for a clear coat.

besides, aerosol clear coat isn't that great and quite hard to get a nice shine on a larger panel leaving you with a dull dry finish. 

#12 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:47 PM

I would flat and polish a panel at a time. that way, it breaks up the monotony of hand flatting and give you a boost as you see it start to improve.

Assuming the aerosol paint was a solid colour, then you should get a shine without the need for a clear coat.

besides, aerosol clear coat isn't that great and quite hard to get a nice shine on a larger panel leaving you with a dull dry finish. 

when wet sanding the current paint what am i looking for/feeling for?? as im assuming that its going to give it a slightly dull finish until some polishing has happened so am i just sanding until it feels silky smooth?

I am just assuming the previous owner used rattle cans as theres a lovely round blop of paint where it looks like he started/finished a can on the boot.

its odd as some parts have a little bit of glossy shiney finish but id say 90%+ has the texture of a chalkboard, its relatively smooth apart from some poor filler work! 

#13 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:11 PM

when wet sanding the current paint what am i looking for/feeling for?? as im assuming that its going to give it a slightly dull finish until some polishing has happened so am i just sanding until it feels silky smooth?

I am just assuming the previous owner used rattle cans as theres a lovely round blop of paint where it looks like he started/finished a can on the boot.

its odd as some parts have a little bit of glossy shiney finish but id say 90%+ has the texture of a chalkboard, its relatively smooth apart from some poor filler work! 

You need to sand with plenty of water and you are trying to achieve a flat even finish.

When I colour sand, I stop and wipe dry the panel at very regular intervals to check what is going on. You only need to go as far as the flat even finish and no further

a good finish requires very minimal colour sanding but in your case, I would probably save the wet sanding for the rougher areas and have a go at buffing up the rest with a cutting compound without flatting and see how it comes up.

Have you got any close up photos of the paintwork?

#14 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:14 PM

When I wet sand paint, I do it until I get this

ANJWFTo.jpg

As you can see, the finish it flat and even and there are no imperfections left in the finish.

Then once machine polished, the finish is even

rCb9WO8.jpg

#15 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:47 PM

I have a Solar Yellow mini and the paint was very dull on that and felt horrible. I borrowed my mates polisher (a beast made by Makita and just some Autoglym SRP) and the difference is impressive! it looks like a different car and feels so glossy, but in a way I miss the crappy paint as it suited the look I was going for lol. I think I've seen your mini on Instagram, if so mine was probably worse!!

Edited by megamini_jb, 27 February 2018 - 09:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users