6 replies to this topic

#1 leyland73

leyland73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:30 AM

Hi folks Ive had to remove the front wheel arch extensions from my Mini 1100 Special to attend to a couple of small rust scabs which were underneath each arch where the wing meets the front panel. The car is original and the arches have not been removed since the car was assembled in Jan 1980.

My dilemma now is how to refix the wheel arch extensions using pop rivets, I had looked at using black self tapping screws but the fixing holes are far too big for this idea; so back to pop rivets. Ive 2 pop riveting tools a single hand held one and also a two arm bigger pop riveter, but both of these are too big to fit into the cut out in the wheel arch.

Can anyone recommend a pop riveter with a long narrow nose that would allow me to refix these arches?

Thanks

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:09 AM

I find a normal hand held rivetter will normally just fit.  I have also previously used a short (5mm or so) piece of metal tube slipped over the rivet shank first, but it can cause the rivet shank to be too far away from the jaws inside the pliers such that they can't grip and pull it.

Other options are rivnuts in the wing then machine screws; or self tappers with spire nuts on the inside of the wing.

(if using self tappers I always file/grind the point of afterwards so I don't slice my hand open when doing any work in the area)

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:40 AM

M4 Riv-Nuts and stainless steel socket head cap screws/washers are the very best way to fit arch extensions. They are then easy to remove, keep corrosion to a minimum and it looks a professional job.

Namrick Ltd can supply all you need and you can order on-line for very quick delivery.

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:51 AM

Button heads look more professional ;-)

#5 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:38 PM

Spire clips will do the job, just hold in place with some grips while you do up the screws

Merv

#6 leyland73

leyland73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for the replies, I used some m4 button head bolts, really pleased with the results and easy to remove again if needed

#7 Quincy Sparks

Quincy Sparks

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Local Club: BHMC, MCR

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for the replies, I used some m4 button head bolts, really pleased with the results and easy to remove again if needed

Just about to do this myself, and had M4s on the list to order - using button heads is a great shout. What length did you go for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users