#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

"BREXIT THE MOVIE spells out the danger of staying part of the EU. Is it safe to give a remote government beyond our control the power to make laws? Is it safe to tie ourselves to countries which are close to financial ruin, drifting towards scary political extremism, and suffering long-term, self-inflicted economic decline? BREXIT THE MOVIE shows a side of the EU they don't want us to see: the sprawling self-serving bureaucracy, the political cynicism, the lack of accountability, the perks, the waste, the cronyism, the corruption. BREXIT THE MOVIE cuts through the patronizing intellectualism of the noble, higher goals of 'Project Europe', to reveal the self-interestedness of the political-bureaucratic class which runs and benefits from the EU. BREXIT THE MOVIE highlights the danger of becoming a prisoner in an insular, backward-looking Fortress Europe. And it explores the exciting opportunities that open up to us when we look beyond the narrow confines of the EU. BREXIT THE MOVIE looks to the future, arguing forcefully and persuasively that it is safer and wiser to live in a country which is free, independent, self-governing, confident and global."

#2 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:33 PM

I think you could change the EU for UK and most of that would still apply!

" the danger of becoming a prisoner in an insular, backward-looking Fortress Europe"

So to remedy this we become, a prisoner in an insular, backward-looking Fortress UK.

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

The UK will do fine as an independent country once again, despite the BBC’s all-out mission to find every reason why leaving the EU is disastrous for the UK – and to avoid reporting the benefits. It will be the EU who have problems without our contributions to support their ongoing European Superstate project.

#4 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:19 PM

The BBC is biased when it reports things that disagree with your viewpoint. Just look at the comments section, massively toxic.

And did we really need another thread on Brexit? Theres a huge one already and its just as toxic, for the sake of the forum it might be best to keep this subject contained in one thread.

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:51 PM

Or maybe comments, opinions and discussion are toxic if they disagree with your viewpoint or the BBC's.......nothing wrong with a new thread to discuss Brexit going forward, things have moved on since the old thread was current ......for the sake of the forum we should be encouraging members to post topics of interest, not shutting further discussion down whether for Leave or Remain.

#6 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:04 PM

Youre misunderstanding what I mean by toxic. Its a subject that polarises, combined with keyboard Conans its a recipe for disaster. Much like Brexit itself 😉

#7 Pistonbroke66

Pistonbroke66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:36 PM

I’m fine with leaving the EU but I come on here to get away from the constant droning on about brexit.......

#8 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 06:41 PM

I’m fine with leaving the EU but I come on here to get away from the constant droning on about brexit.......

Tbf there was a clue in the title, it's not like the topic was "Cooper S for sale £3000" was it? :-)

#9 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:13 PM

Brexit is one of the biggest events of our lifetime or at least at this present moment in time and it also has the potential to cause serious financial hardship to a large portion of the UK population and possibly even the EU. It's surely worth discussing and even worth a second referendum before the end.

The problem with videos such as the above is that there is very little in the way of facts for people to make an educated decision on and both sides arguments are largely based on ideology. No one truly knows how this will end but we'll all find out eventually and I just hope that it works out for the best.

If it goes pear shaped you can guarantee that it will be ourselves who pay the price and those in power will walk away with plenty of loot either way.

May be the price of mini's will come down ;)

Edited by Mito, 19 February 2018 - 08:14 PM.

#10 Pistonbroke66

Pistonbroke66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:25 PM

A second referendum?

My football team lost in the 93 FA cup final, do you think we could play it again to see if we could win it this time....?

#11 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:30 PM

They have the opportunity every year don't they? They just mustn't be a very good team.

#12 Pistonbroke66

Pistonbroke66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:44 PM

How very dare you!

No, you’re right, we’re not very good.

But coming from Hull you’ll know how that feels.......!!

#13 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:51 PM

Yeah. I preferred watching them in the third division. Much more entertaining!

#14 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:03 PM

There is absolutely no mandate or real enthusiasm for a second referendum, any more than a close general election should lead to a further election. It is 'vox populi' and the people have spoken. The majority is in favour of leaving, whether some like it or not, just as if there was a close election result the minority party and its supporters have to accept it. That is how our democracy works.

It is those who continually 'talk down' this country and 'big up' the 'wonderful' EU (which is so crooked it can't get its accounts signed off) who are being undemocratic. Just get behind our country and let's show others how to run a successful economy. It is really possible and if the EU don't want to do a sensible deal, then let them get on with it. They need our trade as much as we need theirs and let's not forget this.

#15 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:02 AM

The fact a majority voted for it is not a reason to shut down debate or lobbying for another vote on it. That isn't how democracy works!

If the brexit majority are still in favour of it, then what's the harm in another vote as brexit will surely win the day again.

One would hope that everyone wants what's best for our country and to suggest that those on the other side don't is what makes this whole thing so divisive.

We have a government that doesn't think investing in infrastructure in the rest of the country and investing in the education of its young is in the nation's best interests. I think us plebs are screwed either way to be honest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users