#1 np90

np90

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:36 PM

evening all,

just trying to figure out what the best way to rust-proof my mini, acquired it 3 weeks ago, and been tinkering with it to

get it running right before i strip it down,

spent today stripping down the engine bay, most parts/ components im replacing and plan to detail/ polish up the engine bay,

theres not a great deal of rust as it has been sitting in a garage since 1999, and had a full bare shell respray before it went in, the subframe and parts around the engine bay do have some surface rust however,

what would the best option be to protect essentially the subframe/ arches and underside?

I recall someone mentioned dynax s50 for internal sections, however what about the subframes & arches which are most exposed,

thanks

#2 Will16

Will16

Wants a custom member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:34 PM

I've not used it myself, but I'm planning to on my rx7 and have only heard of good things about using rustbuster epoxy mastic. Your wire brush the underneath and arches to get rid of any loose bits and then brush or spray it on. You can leave it as or spray stonechip over it and then even top coat on that to give more protection.

As for subframes, Por15 paint is very good.

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:29 AM

Dynax S50 for inside box sections/sills, Dynax UC (which is clear... well until you put around 3 layers on then it goes yellow-ish) for underneath or inside subframes.

#4 ings

ings

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:24 AM

I think the best option for subframe is sandblasting, then galvanize with zink, powdercoat and finaly some cavity sealer...

#5 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:42 PM

I personally think por15 is vastly over rated. Had much better results with epoxy primer and stone chip. If everything isnt perfect with the prep for por15 it just peels off in huge chunks

#6 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:18 PM

I try and hold back on the use of POR15, i personally think its garbage.

Hot zinc galv dip on the rear subframe could potentially warp it due to the temperatures involved. Zinc primer is just as good, however.  I remember Ben_O mentioning a rubberising compound he put in with paint for subframes? 

#7 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:11 AM

Dynax S50 for inside box sections/sills, Dynax UC (which is clear... well until you put around 3 layers on then it goes yellow-ish) for underneath or inside subframes.

2nd that. Great stuff and nicer to work with than waxoil. I prewarmed the box sections and the S50 to make sure it travelled nicely.

#8 np90

np90

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:00 PM

cool will use the s50 for the box sections, had a look at the por15 stuff bit pricey..

not sure the subframe itself is in very good condition... want to avoid removal if I can and too much keying/ sanding just something to protect it..

or would the best option be to remove sand/ key / zinc primer then a sort of stone chip used for valances possibly?

#9 bluedragon

bluedragon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:07 AM

POR-15 is an excellent product, but not a magic potion.

First, it's a paint. Which means it needs to be applied over primer if used on clean, smooth sheet metal. This is true for any paint. If the surface is rusty, then all that needs to be done is to clean off the loose rust. The remaining corrosion pits leave something for the POR-15 to grip to (which is unique about it vs. normal paint topcoats.) If completely coated, it will seal the rusted area off from further corrosion. But without a primer or rough surface, it won't stick very well.

Second, to be effective, it must completely seal the corroded surfaces and any surface prone to future corrosion. If not, the rust will just submarine the POR-15 and rust out the surface from behind.

Third, as is well known, it shouldn't be used for surfaces exposed to sunlight (UV radiation.) If used in such an application, it has to be topcoated with something to keep UV rays away. Most undercarriage parts are fine.

Fourth, purchase the smallest quantity needed to do the job (or purchase it in small containers that can be opened as needed.) Once you open the container, if you spill any on the paint can lid sealing grooves or get it on the threads of a sealing cap, after a week it may be impossible to remove the cap or lid without destroying the container. The cured product is almost stronger than the metal container. Unopened it will keep for a long time. For small quantities, I use a large screw-type bolt to thread into the top of the lid, and unbolt it with a wrench to pour small amounts out. The screw action allows it to be unthreaded without destroying the lid.

It isn't a magic anti-rust potion. It is simply an extremely tough and durable coating that is fairly easy to apply, but unsuited to be a finish topcoat for anything where cosmetic appearance is important (i.e. visible body panels.)

I've used this to coat battery trays which were heavily corroded, and the coating was never damaged afterwards. I also use it on brake calipers (rough cast type, not forged billet) and it takes the abuse without failing. (though it's good to topcoat it in case of wheels that let a lot of light through.) On brake backing plates that were already heavily corroded, I scrubbed them and then topcoated with POR-15 - still in great shape after a couple years of daily driving.

If you spill some on a concrete floor, and it puddles up and dries leaving a lump - you can smash it with a hammer and it won't fracture or crack. It is useful if you're filling a gap with metal mesh, as an adhesive and binder (I often use it on composites instead of resins for small chipped/cracked/smashed areas.)

It would be good on a subframe if treated and applied like paint (part scuffed, primed, then topcoated with POR-15.) It would be as close to powdercoating as you can get if you don't have powdercoating equipment.

Dave

#10 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:31 AM

POR-15 is an excellent product, but not a magic potion.

First, it's a paint. Which means it needs to be applied over primer if used on clean, smooth sheet metal. This is true for any paint. If the surface is rusty, then all that needs to be done is to clean off the loose rust. The remaining corrosion pits leave something for the POR-15 to grip to (which is unique about it vs. normal paint topcoats.) If completely coated, it will seal the rusted area off from further corrosion. But without a primer or rough surface, it won't stick very well.

Second, to be effective, it must completely seal the corroded surfaces and any surface prone to future corrosion. If not, the rust will just submarine the POR-15 and rust out the surface from behind.

Third, as is well known, it shouldn't be used for surfaces exposed to sunlight (UV radiation.) If used in such an application, it has to be topcoated with something to keep UV rays away. Most undercarriage parts are fine.

Fourth, purchase the smallest quantity needed to do the job (or purchase it in small containers that can be opened as needed.) Once you open the container, if you spill any on the paint can lid sealing grooves or get it on the threads of a sealing cap, after a week it may be impossible to remove the cap or lid without destroying the container. The cured product is almost stronger than the metal container. Unopened it will keep for a long time. For small quantities, I use a large screw-type bolt to thread into the top of the lid, and unbolt it with a wrench to pour small amounts out. The screw action allows it to be unthreaded without destroying the lid.

It isn't a magic anti-rust potion. It is simply an extremely tough and durable coating that is fairly easy to apply, but unsuited to be a finish topcoat for anything where cosmetic appearance is important (i.e. visible body panels.)

I've used this to coat battery trays which were heavily corroded, and the coating was never damaged afterwards. I also use it on brake calipers (rough cast type, not forged billet) and it takes the abuse without failing. (though it's good to topcoat it in case of wheels that let a lot of light through.) On brake backing plates that were already heavily corroded, I scrubbed them and then topcoated with POR-15 - still in great shape after a couple years of daily driving.

If you spill some on a concrete floor, and it puddles up and dries leaving a lump - you can smash it with a hammer and it won't fracture or crack. It is useful if you're filling a gap with metal mesh, as an adhesive and binder (I often use it on composites instead of resins for small chipped/cracked/smashed areas.)

It would be good on a subframe if treated and applied like paint (part scuffed, primed, then topcoated with POR-15.) It would be as close to powdercoating as you can get if you don't have powdercoating equipment.

Dave

Rusty rear subframe rubbed back (still rough) and degreased. 2 years later peeling off in sheets just other side of the coin there. I wouldnt touch it again particularly for how much it costs.

#11 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:42 AM

It is rust after all, if you don't get rid of it, it will keep on going, nothing will stop it in it's tracks, not even POR15.

#12 ings

ings

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:42 PM

http://www.theminifo...en#entry3513648

wK1kjyil.jpg

#13 bluedragon

bluedragon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:59 AM

Rusty rear subframe rubbed back (still rough) and degreased. 2 years later peeling off in sheets just other side of the coin there. I wouldnt touch it again particularly for how much it costs.

Without seeing the condition of the surface, I would suspect it was still too smooth for POR-15 to grip. If it were sandblasted that should have been sufficient though.

I would only paint relatively small parts with POR-15 without a primer. I tend to think it is a bit tricky to use as a topcoat for large areas of clean unprimed metal. For a small area, it's a decent way to prevent future rust if all areas are treated, but most people don't. Any other rust arresting product will fail too if any gaps are left in the protection. For large areas, it's a stopgap because if someone is going to take the time comprehensively seal all areas, they probably are inclined to do a full job and clean/prime/paint.

It's been around for 20 years so it's not like it's a fly-by-night magic product of the week. I use it mainly to preserve smaller parts like trays and brackets. I coated the decayed fuel filter bracket of my MPI 11 years ago, have driven it 60,000 miles, and it still looks the same as when I coated it.

Dave

#14 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:20 AM

It is rust after all, if you don't get rid of it, it will keep on going, nothing will stop it in it's tracks, not even POR15.

Rust is a chemical reaction comprising oxidation. If you cut off the oxygen, it cannot continue. In theory, a comprehensively applied coating that is non-porous will do just that.

#15 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

Rust is a chemical reaction comprising oxidation. If you cut off the oxygen, it cannot continue. In theory, a comprehensively applied coating that is non-porous will do just that.

If what you say is true then the rust patch I have in the centre of my bonnet only needs repainting and a nice thick layer of 2k laquer and it will never rust again.

I don't think so somehow.

Edited by pete l, 23 February 2018 - 02:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users