93 replies to this topic

#61 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:59 AM

That makes the assembly far too wide for a Mini. The motor should be rotated 180 degrees and mounted on top of the gearbox.

#62 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:46 PM

Why would you want to use the Mini Geabox?

Do you need a gearbox at all?  I thought they could be done without.

#63 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:48 PM

Can be done without a gearbox. However, a diff is required. Using the gearbox as a motor mount and driving the diff through the box is I guess an easy and cheap solution.

#64 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:55 PM

I've been googling and here's how one guy mated the motor to the box.

P1090554.JPG

P1090555.JPG

Now we're getting somewhere.

Was it ever fitted to to a Mini?

I serious doubt it....

Not sure its just a mock-up photo...

No sign of the motor being secured to the fw housing

And the bolt in the centre of the primary gear needs to be hiding some good engineering to transfer the power.

Is the jack supporting the motor to stop it falling out or overbalancing?

Got to agree with SolarB the motor is 180 degrees out.

#65 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:40 AM

MINI has made an electric Mini for the recent NY Motor Show

https://www.caradvic...-battery-boost/

#66 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:45 AM

I would have trepidation about putting the torque a motor can produce through a mini gearbox,

Nisan leaf engine swap? looks like a package that would fit the mini well.

#67 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:59 AM

In regards to the Electricity Network, and it's capacity, it may need some up-grading when everyone goes electric, but perhaps not as much as it may first appear. A simple solution here is an Off-peak controller. This is used to make power (usually at a cheaper rate) available for charging (and other purposes) when there is spare capacity in the Networks. Typically, this is between around 10 AM to 2 PM and then even more come available between roughly 10PM and 5:30 AM.

Whether that's enough time to charge most batteries for the next day's run is another matter, but I'm sure in time, they will get there.

Another issue that needs to be address in regards to this is one of Harmonics from all them chargers buzzing away at the same time, that could play very serious havoc with the Electricity Networks, but can be addressed by using better quality (and more expensive) chargers.

Solar I think has a long way to come yet. They need a storage device to really make them 'work' properly, like the Tesla system posted in this thread, however, I've run the numbers on many of these systems and presently, they do not pay. After an initial system purchase and enjoying it for a few years, you'll typically only get 15 years from them, before major items like Batteries and Inverters need replacing, yet the payback period is around 18 - 20 years.

#68 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:16 AM

actually I was having a drunk conversation about lectric cars at the weekend, whuich included larger vehicles ( vans busses etc)

somone came up with the thought of using a small generator possibly powered by a gas turbine etc, they you could cut the no of batteries substacially, and jkust use them as a buffer/ reserve.... then there was more beer and somone sugessted a small nuclear reactor and it all got rather off topic

#69 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:46 AM

That's the system the Chevrolet Volt uses - electric motor to propel the car and a generator as backup electricity.

#70 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:07 PM

I think the perfect swap would be a bmw i3 swap small compact electric motor, the hard part is finding space for the battery pack.

Edited by Mini-dude, 31 March 2018 - 11:36 PM.

#71 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:41 PM

Have you guys heard any news on the Delta MiTRE? Such a cool little concept a £1000 range extender turbine that is 40 percent smaller and 50 percent lighter then the same power piston engine. It would allow us to use smaller packs which is a great help in a car as small as a mini

Edited by Mini-dude, 31 March 2018 - 11:42 PM.

#72 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:46 AM

I think the perfect swap would be a bmw i3 swap small compact electric motor, the hard part is finding space for the battery pack.

BMW don't seem to have released any photos showing their Classic Electric Mini power train yet.....perhaps it has the BMW i3 motor shown below?

mcyTclg.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 01 April 2018 - 07:47 AM.

#73 gronkjor

gronkjor

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:27 AM

As much as I love the smell, feeling and sound of the a-series engine I still think an electric converted Mini is a brilliant idea. The handling would likely be at least as good due to the placement of the batteries, and the driving costs would be an absolute minimum. 

#74 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:27 AM

BMW don't seem to have released any photos showing their Classic Electric Mini power train yet.....perhaps it has the BMW i3 motor shown below?mcyTclg.jpg

It is most likely using a i3 drivetrain, if the 2019 electric concept used the i3 drivetrain (https://www.google.c...concept-car.amp), i don't see why the classic one wouldn't. The i3 22kwh battery pack comes in at 450 lb so it is possible to put it in a mini, the i3 motor is 65kg if i remember right

Edited by Mini-dude, 01 April 2018 - 10:46 AM.

#75 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:24 PM

Now found this under bonnet photo below of the BMW Classic Electric Mini on another website

KM6nNJN.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users