93 replies to this topic

#76 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:18 AM

Hmmm, i dont understand why they went that route they could have had a real pocket rocket if they used their own model drivetrain (i3) but they use a 28-kilowatt electric motor with a 10 KWh battery.

-120 km / h top speed
-100 kilometers range

-755 kilograms
(https://www.auto-mot...eb-fahrbericht/)

Edited by Mini-dude, 02 April 2018 - 12:52 AM.

#77 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:24 AM

Video driving the Mini Electric here

I would never consider a Classic Mini without rear seats and a 65 mile range. If these could be overcome, then yes, an Electric classic Mini would be a fascinating alternative to the A -series option.

#78 MalcolmB

MalcolmB

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:46 PM

I came across this thread a little late, but really interested in everyone's reactions as I'm working on an electric conversion right now. For me it's just a fun project and intended as a city runabout, so range isn't all that important.

I actually converted my mini a few years back, so it's already registered as an electric vehicle, but it was rather a clunky conversion, with two fork-lift motors and independent chain drive to the front wheels. This time I'm trying to get it right.

For Mark 2 I'm using a Seat Ibiza gearbox and plan to mate this to a 50 kW (67 hp) AC motor that's also used in the Zero electric motorcycle. I spent yesterday machining the mini CV cups so they will bolt on to the gearbox output flanges. The battery pack will go in the back seat. Not decided which batteries to use yet as they keep on improving, so it makes sense to leave that decision until last. Right now Nissan Leaf batteries are the easiest and safest to use. Range should be 60 miles plus, which is enough for my needs, and also means you can use a lighter battery pack and keep recharging times short. I plan to start a build thread when I've made some more progress.

Lots of DIY converters are starting to use OEM components now, as you can buy them relatively cheaply from dismantlers. The downside is that they all run on high voltage, and the original controller needs to communicate with all the other system components by CAN. To get around this several people are working on replacements for the stock controllers or hacking them so that they can be controlled directly. There's loads of information on the DIY Electric Car forum.

There are lots of possible ways to convert a mini, but one of the most challenging parts is finding a drive system that will fit without major modifications.

#79 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:52 PM

Any photos MalcolmB? It always interesting to see how people do their own swaps

#80 MalcolmB

MalcolmB

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:21 PM

Hi Dude. No photos yet, but here are a few other conversions to inspire you

https://youtu.be/8uG2PQk0OGM
http://evmini.ca
http://www.evalbum.com/3959
http://www.evalbum.com/4768

#81 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,929 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 April 2018 - 01:53 AM

Now found this under bonnet photo below of the BMW Classic Electric Mini on another website

KM6nNJN.jpg

strange thing is BMW did not do that Mini.

#82 MalcolmB

MalcolmB

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:09 PM

Yes, I thought that was odd too. Despite all their resources BMW seem to have latched on to an amateur electric conversion for their own promotional purposes. If they really wanted to be innovative they could come up with an electric concept that took the original minimalist design of the mini and combined it with modern materials and engineering. I'd love to see a new electric mini that weighed the same as the original but outperformed it in fun, safety and reliability. It's not too much to ask, is it?

#83 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:58 PM

Yes, I thought that was odd too. Despite all their resources BMW seem to have latched on to an amateur electric conversion for their own promotional purposes. If they really wanted to be innovative they could come up with an electric concept that took the original minimalist design of the mini and combined it with modern materials and engineering. I'd love to see a new electric mini that weighed the same as the original but outperformed it in fun, safety and reliability. It's not too much to ask, is it?

With current technology that would be like asking pigs to fly lol, the problem comes with energy density sure you can make it as light as the standard gas powered classic mini but it won't have anywhere near the range of it, the 900lb electric car i posted only has a 20hp motor around a 1/3 the power of a 970cc mini going off this list (http://www.retromini...id=13&chapter=4) and range on it was 99 miles . I love to see a classic mini shell made out of that carbon reinforced plastic bmw used to make the i3 shell

Edited by Mini-dude, 15 April 2018 - 12:08 AM.

#84 MalcolmB

MalcolmB

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:41 AM

Agreed, battery range is the biggest obstacle right now, but at the current rate of progress in battery technology it shouldn't be for too long.

I'd not seen the Visio M. before. Thanks for that. According to the source I found it weighs 535 kg with a 13.5 kWh battery, so you still have 100 kg to play with before it becomes heavier than an early mini.

Motor power is the easy part. This is what's on my birthday wish list – 100 kW peak power from a motor weighing 12 kg. Yes please!

#85 JonC

JonC

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:40 PM

MalcolmB there's zero bike languishing at CAT in Machynlleth, sad to see it going into waste it's just sat in a sort of tent not really being looked after.
Fascinating prospects ahead for self builds and conversions, it's the diversification of the vehicle market which is going to be a real global game changer, motor battery power control all available off the shelf and can be fitted into anything you fancy.

#86 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:46 PM

That Visio M looks good, a new Midas!

#87 MalcolmB

MalcolmB

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:33 PM

MalcolmB there's zero bike languishing at CAT in Machynlleth

That is a waste. I would give them a call to find out if they're willing to sell, but all I need is the motor and it would be a shame to break a good bike just for that.

Been reading a bit more about the Visio M. It does look like a re-design of a Midas. A lot of R&D went into it, but I can't find any recent updates. I really like the torque-vectoring motor-diff unit, it just needs a bit more power.

#88 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:23 AM

Been reading a bit more about the Visio M. It does look like a re-design of a Midas. A lot of R&D went into it, but I can't find any recent updates. I really like the torque-vectoring motor-diff unit, it just needs a bit more power.

I think the Visio.M may have been canceled last update on it are from 2015 (https://www.verbundp...tum.de/en/home/), it was supposed to hit production in 2020 so who knows maybe they are working on it in secrecy even though I highly doubt it, since in order to sell you want to promote your product (https://en.m.wikiped...rg/wiki/Visio.M)

#89 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:22 AM

I suspect there a quite a few projects that were designed and prototyped, but canned because the cost vs the number of sales is uneconomic.  My guess is that  the market for the Visio M (or similar) now is pretty much non-existent because it would be £20k, when the market is closer to £5k.  If in the future the batteries and motors for these cost the same as a mass-produced 3 cylinder turbo engine, last 100,000 miles without being replaced and there's the charging infrastructure then it would probably make sense to build, but we're a long long way away from that.

I think that if someone grabs the bull by the horns and introduces a half-car standard that'll be adopted in cities across the UK (and wider) where the road lanes are split in two and are only available to vehicles that fit then a market for single-seaters under 200kg that do 40-50mph and can be financed for £150 a month or so, then a market might exist. Would make for some really good fun vehicles too.

There are loads of logistics around goods transport that would need to be resolved in that, but I just don't see a future economic case for 2 tonne vehicles carrying 1 person around a city.

#90 Big Sam

Big Sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:59 PM

I'd have thought a Smart Fourtwo electric would make a good starting point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users