#1 rubdub

rubdub

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:01 PM

Hey folks! 

Has anyone any tips or tricks for stretching the diaphragm across the seat base on an mpi to get the little hook thingys in on either side?

Would heating up the elastic part in the middle help?

Cheers! 

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:13 PM

This is how I fitted mine, made it pretty easy, just need to be careful of it slipping off.

The Ritz drivers seat collapsed about a year ago and since then had been held together with cable ties, so thought I'better fix it with a new diaphragm but rather than put the new diaphragm on the ritz's I put it on the MPI seat and put the MPI one on the Ritz's. 

I couldn't find anywhere on the internet that had instructions of how to do it. So I had to make it up, the diaphragms have holes on one side for some reason so I used these to be able to stretch it. I got a bit of rod that fitted into these holes and a length of pipe to go over the rod. I hooked all of one side over first and then put the rod in the first hole nearest to the front and in between the seat frame as in the 1st pic below, levered it to stretch it and lifted the hook until it went into the hole. I then done the 3rd hole and the 3rd hook but using string tied around the frame, levered it and hooked it as in the 2nd photo. I then used a pair of grips to grip the 2nd hook and lever them against the seat frame and hooked it into the seat (if you're trying it you may require to to this one last is it's to tight to fit). I then done the other 2 using the string method.

DSCF0545_zpsfpb7mb0s.jpg

DSCF0544_zpsir1d4cdc.jpg

#3 rubdub

rubdub

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:23 PM

Genius! So you done it with the seat upside down?

#4 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:27 PM

Genius! So you done it with the seat upside down?

Yep, seats out, on top of a workmate bench.

#5 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:28 PM

found it easier with seat base off, or i use a large screwdriver and push the little metal bars over. but these days i end up putting welds in the seat base, because the holes end up getting elongated.

#6 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:19 PM

i would not heat the base as I'd hate for it to stretch and not go back to original size.

I recently did this and its a pain for sure but with the seat out, and some patients, you'll get it. I believe I just used a long screwdriver.

After I replaced mine though, my seat squeaks over larger bumps. I was just driving today and wondering if there was a way to "upgrade" this design to make these seats less trampoline like. I feel like I am in a constant state of oscillation while on the move...never fun after a large meal;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users