TobyM2018

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:37 AM

Spotted the following engine on ebay

Item number 282852236190

How does this stack up as a replacement for my 998?

Any thoughts or comments to help this noobie would be appreciated

Edited by TobyM2018, 21 February 2018 - 03:38 AM.

#2 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:21 AM

I paid 150 euro 3 years ago for a full 1275 90's metro in need of a rebuild. 450 quid (517 euro) is a lot for An engine with straw/woodhippings on it.
Needs a full strip to clean it imho.

#3 Rocket.

Rocket.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:58 AM

I would say its about the eBay asking price for one of them

All Id say is expected to budget for a full rebuild

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:10 AM

I would take any engine bought off Ebay as a starting place for a rebuild.

450 will go a long way towards working on your engine.

look at it this way unless it comes with a guaranty or comes from a known engine builder, the most it is work is the surcharge value against a new rebuild engine.

#5 TobyM2018

TobyM2018

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:56 PM

I realise that it will need to be fully stripped and rebuilt. The question is more whether this is the right engine to go for in the first place. A quick bit of research on the forum suggests it is so I was just trying to get any further thoughts. Maybe for someone as new as me I should start with a rebuild on the 998 I already have???

#6 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:04 PM

It seems very expensive to me.  Maybe I'm a bit out of touch, but I've never paid anything like that for an 'unknown'.

It's been left without manifolds on it and you can clearly see how the damp has got into the head.  The fuel pump is smashed, which suggest careless handling and/or long term storage in less than ideal conditions.

There's better prospects out there, maybe put a wanted ad on this 'ere forum (best place to buy Minis and bits IMO!)

#7 TobyM2018

TobyM2018

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:09 PM

Ok that's the advice I'm after. Cheers for That!

#8 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:20 PM

Left outside and obviously straight out of a metro as it still bears the mounts and thermostat cover - I find it  a bit curious it's got two engine ID plates - one on the gearbox?? Running what I'd assume to be the credible number through Guessworks decoder reveals: Economy spec with an (originally but maybe in doubt) 3.1 diff.- I think it's been messed with though as head is a big valver (ex MG metro) ...and dizzy is a 59D4 - only fitted to the turbo if I remember rightly - so it may have been selectively upgraded... the presence of the oil cooler - although blanked off, makes me 99% convinced this engine has been messed with before...

Seems to be the 1275 ballpark price at the moment - but a refurb candidate - much worse have been brought back to life - just off the top of my head , strip / dip, rebore new pistons, crank grind , big end, main & cam bearings, new cam and duplex timing gear, new clutch kit a bucket load of sundries and gaskets  as a DIY bill (bar machining and fitting  cam bearings) no discernable change out of  about 6 - 700 quid to spend  - thats assuming that the gearbox is good or your existing box is up for a transplant (that'd be true of 90% of ebay engines.... don't know what's happened to him but there used to be a chap on there  fond of his jetwasher and engine paint - instant "fully reconditioned" - so very much buyer beware - personally I always go & see...) The positive here is that this is complete - seller seems only to have removed the head to prove its  seemingly unseized  and bores resemble round...

You'd be able to reuse most ancilliaries off your current engine - even your HS4....but I'd budget new water & oil pumps, rad inc. bracket, dizzy, coil, hoses, engine mounts etc - some necessary and some that just need doing when you pull out your old lump...

Reconned short engines seem to be in the two and a half grand ballpark now... so options?  There's a few ways of looking a this;

Buy it - recondition it  yourself  - and you'll know what's in it and have reassurance you've a good 'un (it's not hard by the way)

Buy it and farm out the whole job to the professionals  - more expensive and lacking in personal satisfaction

Buy one "done" from ebay / private  - be very very careful..... even more expensive

Buy one from a reputable builder - ouch

Down to you, your capabilities and budget.......

If it were me in need I'd just, let auction run it's course and if it doesn't sell contact seller and offer him 300 - that tactic has been massively successful for me over the years! 

Edited by wile e coyote, 21 February 2018 - 09:48 PM.

#9 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:22 PM

An engine you can hear and see running is your best bet.  If that's not possible, you need to assess it the best you can.  Dip the oil (if it's still in it).  Is it fresh, black, brown or emulsified?

Remove the oil filler cap.  What's it like inside?  If it's showing nasty black deposits that scrape off and look burnt, the engine hasn't been serviced when it should have and is probably very close to needing a full rebuild.  Is there sludge in the rocker cover?

Look at the outside.  Is the block very oily?  Neglected engines block their breathers with the sludge described above and then leak oil out of every gasket and seal.

Regarding storage, I always plug every place the damp can get in.  That means cloth stuffed into the carb (if fitted) or into the exhaust and inlet ports.  Missing spark plugs are not a good sign either.

As I said above, I may be a bit out of touch nowadays, but for £450, I'd want a good used engine I could fit with only a little 'freshen up' work.  It wasn't that long ago that we used to pick up good low milers for £50!!

#10 TobyM2018

TobyM2018

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:48 AM

Really appreciate the detailed responses guys. I would like to rebuild an engine myself as a learning exercise so I don't need the perfect engine but at the same time it makes no sense to pay for something only fit for scrap!

I've got my eye on what is described as a running engine but once again its on ebay. I do wonder if for the time being I'd be better of rebuilding my 998 and waiting for an engine via TMF...

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:59 AM

it all comes down to why you are buying a engine. to use as is or as a base for a new build

that one you may have noted had a oil to water oil cooler so may have been an MG version (but IIRC others had it) and it was an easy add on.

but with the one in the first post points to note. no oil in it (pot joints no present) lots of unsealed openings. only fit for a strip and rebuild. about 250 too much in my eyes.

be aware there are a few well known engine scams on ebay and other sites. a few hare listed on here look in the feed back section. or just ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users