Photo
- - - - -

Cooper Car Company 8.4 Inch Twin Pot Brake Kit- Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:55 AM

It's time to replace the brakes on my JDM SPI Cooper. I could stay stock and just replace the rotors and pads. Or, given that it is a Cooper, I thought I could upgrade to the Minispor....err...Cooper Car Company brake kit.

Pros:

1) Looks the best of them all, especially in black

2) 4 pot braking bite > 2 pot

Cons:

1) It's really expensive for essentially a rebranded Minisport kit.

2) Not sure what my options are when it is time to replace any components

I'd rather not purchase other aftermarket braking kits as I'm trying to keep the car as original looking as possible (for me, even the Cooper kit is a bit of a stretch)

Cheers!

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:55 AM

the only issue I have is the drilled discs.

and you don't really need the drive flanges. Or maybe even lots of the other bits.

I would get standard discs and Minispares calipers and save 200 quid.

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:03 AM

All the alloy 4 pots I know use Metro pads and pistons, so rebuilding isn't an issue. I like what they've done with the bleed screw, assuming the screw in seat comes out. 

#4 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:37 AM

Great to hear! 

Anyone own these? 

#5 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

All depends on what YOU want.
Extra braking is it needed on your car? Are 2 small pistons really any better than 1 big piston? I always had my doubts. I lock sticky slicks with standard 8.4 calipers, and they survive a full race without fading.
Minispares has some good looking calipers too. Depending on your budget and time you could always rebuild your own calipers,a bit of Heat resistant Paint on it and off you go.
Might be worth checking the condition of the steel brake lines and flexi lines as well

#6 superchiwawa

superchiwawa

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Local Club: Minis Stuck in Garages

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:34 AM

Extra braking is it needed on your car? Are 2 small pistons really any better than 1 big piston? I always had my doubts.

It's all about contact surface area. Plus, under dynamic conditions (when braking), the discs warp a bit (elastic deformation unless severe strain), so the pad to disc contact is no longer parallel. 2 pistons are better at applying a more even load under these conditions than one. Whether you need this depends how much power you are sending to the wheels, and thus how much force you need to counter that power & momentum.

Edited by superchiwawa, 22 February 2018 - 11:37 AM.

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:43 AM

Extra braking is it needed on your car? Are 2 small pistons really any better than 1 big piston? I always had my doubts.

It's all about contact surface area. Plus, under dynamic conditions (when braking), the discs warp a bit (elastic deformation unless severe strain), so the pad to disc contact is no longer parallel. 2 pistons are better at applying a more even load under these conditions than one. Whether you need this depends how much power you are sending to the wheels, and thus how much force you need to counter that power & momentum.

not really it is the grip your tyres have. that is what stops you.  the more pistons allow greater pad control and so allow longer pads to be used at a greater radii on the disc.

poor tyres great brakes is poor braking. average brakes and great tyres is better braking.

I could get the rear of my race car off the ground with both the 8.4s and the Minispares 4 pots.

#8 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:20 PM

Chaps, this is a street car. No track use (I typically drive like an old lady). I simply want to keep the car looking good and like the odd bit of extra "Cooper" accessories to increase desirability.

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:18 PM

You really do not need anything above the standard 8.4" discs with standard callipers. They are more than adequate for road use and many of us have used them for serious competition without any problems.

Just make sure that you use good quality brake pads, not some of the cheap rubbish sold by some local motor factors. Mintex are always good as are Ferodo. Mini Spares stock good pads.

#10 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:08 AM

I bought a good set from Mini Spares, worth a look.

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:28 PM

Techy point: What work your brakes do is down to your speed and weight (mass). More power just means you can put the speed back on more quickly so your brakes get used again sooner and might not get to cool down. If that's the case, cooling the discs will be more effective than generating more heat with high spec calipers. 

#12 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:55 PM

With the right pads and normal road tyres it is not possible to get brake issues with 8.4" discs and standard callipers. If the then on public roads you have the wrong pads for your application. The Mintex 1144 is good for normal road use. For serious rallying a Mintex 1166 or 1177 is better, but they really need a higher boiling point brake fluid (AP600 or equivalent).

For a serious competition Cooper 'S' with 7.5" discs and standard 'S' callipers the carbon-metallic pads as supplied by Mini Spares are simply superb.

If advice on pad material for competition is needed there is a company called 'Questmead' who are very helpful and will recommend the right pad for the required use.

If you can fade out a standard disc/calliper on the public roads when fitted with a Mintex competititon pad you must be in danger of losing your licence some time soon.

The vented discs and multi-pot callipers are really only needed for competition when very sticky slick tyres are used (and where the regulations allow).

#13 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 05:26 PM

Okay, I guess you lot talked me out of it. I'll guess I'll get the EBC pads and the slotted discs as a compromise unless anyone suggests otherwise?

Edited by Screwdriver, 25 February 2018 - 05:29 PM.

#14 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:39 PM

Personally I have never tried EBC pads but I have not heard much good about them.

The best pad is a Mintex and the M1144 is really good for all road applications.

For use on the public road you do not need a slotted disc.

Just fit standard brakes with top quality pads and the car will be fine. No need to waste money.

Edited by Cooperman, 25 February 2018 - 09:40 PM.

#15 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:55 AM

Okay, I guess you lot talked me out of it. I'll guess I'll get the EBC pads and the slotted discs as a compromise unless anyone suggests otherwise?

Your money, your car.

Sometimes there are cheaper options available, buy you end up spending more just to get the kit you have your heart set on.

FWIW £480 for ali calipers and a set of discs would be a billy bargain if you were buying them for any other car out there.

Edited by r3k1355, 26 February 2018 - 11:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users