#1 Eds.mini.lulu

Eds.mini.lulu

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:15 PM

Hi all,

i have a verto clutch and brake servo, having big difficulties in removing the slave cylinder. i have a haynes manual i'm following. problem is i cant seem to undo the hydraulic pipe from the bulkhead section. it states to do this is there anyway round this? ive put wd40 on the nut but cant get it to free.  both the union nut and the nut that holds it to the bulkhead seem pretty solid anyone have any tips/ shortcuts i can try. i have already moved the breather canister and i tried anothr suggestion i found on here for trying to move the brake master out of the way but not having much luck.

thanks 

Ed

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:45 PM

use more force.

have you disconnected the hard line yet?

if you are having issues with that as well cut it off and get a socket onto the big nut. and replace both the hard and flex lines at the same time as you change the slave.

PS WD40 is crap at most things get some penetrating/release fluid like PlusGas.

#3 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:52 PM

They are never easy, as you are finding, the fine threads have so much hold and there is a star washer too.

Remove the brake pipe at the top.

If that won't come out chop it short.

you may then be able to get either a ring spanner or long socket on the top nut.

You will need to cut the rubber pipe just below the metal.

You can then get either a ring spannner or long socket on the lower 'nut'

Then is the time to give it some rice and see if you can move it.

If it moves you have a chance...then work it left and right to help clean the threads.

As Nick says use some penetrating fluid it will help.

If all else fails its cutting time...either hacksaw or angle grinder on the big nut

#4 Eds.mini.lulu

Eds.mini.lulu

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for the ideas yes having trouble with the hard line aswell, cutting sounds like a good option will just replace both lines and thanks for the tip about wd40 i shall get something better :)

#5 Eds.mini.lulu

Eds.mini.lulu

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

had a look on mini spares, they do i one piece braided pipe from master straight into the slave,  any expierence of these will make refitting easier, any down side to deleeting the hard line pipe?

#6 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:20 PM

had a look on mini spares, they do i one piece braided pipe from master straight into the slave,  any expierence of these will make refitting easier, any down side to deleeting the hard line pipe?

In my opinion, has made no difference to the feel of the pedal. Benefits? Ease of removal of the engine as you just remove the cylinder and move it behind the brake servo.

#7 Eds.mini.lulu

Eds.mini.lulu

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

there isnt much price difference one piece sounds easier to install and remove if necessary, so if there's no draw back sounds like a win.

#8 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:26 PM

Access is a pig here and with a bit of age and the odd fluid leak these can be very tricky to undo...with the added complication that the spanners you have that fit will doubtless be too long.....
But...if you're just replacing the slave there's no need to disturb the bulkhead join....just unbolt the slave from the mounting plate and lift off then you can access the hose joint...
Obviously best to replace the hose too but.....

#9 Eds.mini.lulu

Eds.mini.lulu

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:03 PM

finally got it off, just have to order the replacement bits for what i cut off.  Haynes gave that a 2 spanner difficulty....i beg to differ maybe on pre- verto but def not on 3 that was a pain. shame rover didint think about ease of servicing when they did the later engines!!

#10 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:13 PM

Age takes it toll.  When these cars were new, those fixings would come undone very easily and you'd have the job done in ten minutes!  Fast forwards decades of heat cycles, damp & rust and you have a real fight on your hands!

The construction in this area shows the Mini's design age too.  A ginormous nut, fitted with a shakeproof washer, with another metal pipe and fixing going into it... modern cars wouldn't even have a joint here, let alone a fixing that could lift the front of the car up!  Nowadays, a single push-fit plastic pipe would be fitted, maybe with a tiny brittle plastic clip to keep it in place  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users