Photo
- - - - -

Wheel Weights On The Outside Of Rim, Worth It Or Just An Awful Sight?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Local Club: none yet

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:27 PM

Just had tyres fitted to my 7 x 13 deep dish ultralite extremes and they have fitted wheel weights to the inside and outside of all four wheels.

My question is:  Is there any real benefit to having the wheels balanced this way instead of just on the inside because to me it is quite upsetting to look at. 

I can paint the weights but I think it would still bother me.

I am thinking of taking the weights off some how and taking them somewhere else to get re-done.  Any recommendations on removing sticky weights without messing up the paint??

70_E545_B0_27_BE_4_CA2_B14_A_4_C15_D6_EF

B5_FC6429_EA65_435_C_9_F70_C500_CDE8141_

Or am I just being a tart????

Edited by thespikeyone, 21 February 2018 - 08:28 PM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:42 PM

take them off and take them somewhere else and there is a very good chance that you will end up with new weights in exactly the same place.

it is the way the machines tell them to do it.

it is possible to have only weights on the inside but it is not quite as good.

have a chat with the fitter.

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:55 PM

it is the way the machines tell them to do it.

It all comes down to how lazy the fitter is. Most machines let you do any combination of what type (knock on and stick on) and were to put the weights.

Have them rebalanced and tell them/make clear that you want them done on the inside only. As for removing the weights on the outside (obviously the wheels will then be out of balance) without damaging the paint, try soaking/spraying the adhesive (double sided tape) with wd40 and prying them off with something plastic. Then any remaining sticky residue can be dealt with white sprit/polish etc.

#4 Simont

Simont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Local Club: Thames Valley Mini Club

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

I took a set of steelies into a garage and they stuck weights on the outside, and then he ruined the paint trying to get them off, and his excuse was, knock on weights cost him more,

#5 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:03 PM

Id be fuming if they did that to wheels of mine as nice as that.

#6 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:05 PM

I took a set of steelies into a garage and they stuck weights on the outside, and then he ruined the paint trying to get them off, and his excuse was, knock on weights cost him more,

Probably because now every other car on the road has alloys, its no longer worth keeping a stock of knock on wheel weights (witch can be fitted to both steels and alloys) Still not really an excuse though, for not doing a job properly.

Edited by 1984mini25, 21 February 2018 - 09:06 PM.

#7 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:02 PM

I'd be going ape ****. I had my d1's double balanced and still had the weights on the inside not on the visible face.

#8 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:24 PM

You don't want clip-on weights kn alloys. Cuts into the clear coat and then they corrode.

#9 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:20 AM

That is the only way you are going to balance deep dish wheels properly. 13x7 wheels on a mini is not ideal at all - undue strain on wheel bearings and affecting the steering geometry.

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,900 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:13 AM

Weights are fitted to both the inside and outside to not just balance the wheel as a whole, but also balance each side of it too.

It is lazy to fit weights on one side only, if in fact weights are needed on the other side too.

The wider the wheel, the much more important this is.

Sometimes a fitter may remove and remount a tyre on a rim to possibly reduce this, however on alloys you can be sure the balance of the wheel itself is pretty good as they are made, especially 'billet' type wheels. On steel wheels, much less so.

You could have the wheel 'rebalanced' and have the weights only fitted on the inside, however, expect the steering wheel to shake and poor / odd tyre wear.

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,900 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:24 AM

Just looked this up, which may (or may not) give some back ground and explanation;-

" If the tire is not checked, it has the potential to wobble and perform poorly. In tire retail shops, tire/wheel assemblies are checked on a spin-balancer, which determines the amount and angle of unbalance. Balance weights are then fitted to the outer and inner flanges of the wheel. Dynamic balance is better. "

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Tire_balance

#12 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:15 AM

That is the only way you are going to balance deep dish wheels properly. 13x7 wheels on a mini is not ideal at all - undue strain on wheel bearings and affecting the steering geometry.

How does it affect the steering geometry? Wheel bearings is also a debatable topic as there's no proof wheel bearings wear faster, merely theory.

#13 dotmatrix

dotmatrix

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:42 PM

the balancing machine can probably be adjusted to place the weights you have had fitted visible on the outside behind the line of the spokes of the wheel, the machine I use for balancing my wheels can anyway, and the wheels I have tried (6x13 superlights and 5.5x13 ronal multispokes) can be balanced in this way so that they ride nicely, but my experience is that more weights blocks are needed when placing them in there and that if you use the thick stick on weights like the ones they used on your wheels, my 8.4 inch callipers sometime rips them off. but it looks nicer having all weights on the inside.

#14 ings

ings

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:35 PM

maybe it would be a good idea to balance the wheel without a tire and grind material away (behind the tire surface)?

#15 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:40 PM

You can them just on the inside, another car I have has 15" on the front and 16" on the back, all the weights are on the inner side of the rim, I told him what I wanted and he just spent more time doing it correctly.

Old school tyre fitters know their stuff, you just need to find the right ones, typically they will do lots of high performance stuff, no more expensive just more experienced.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users