288 replies to this topic

#226 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:13 PM

Nothing is finished yet as I am assessing what needs to be trimmed and seeing how well it fits together.

I have never come across an aftermarket carpet set that fits nicely but this one seems that it will need the least amount of work.

Cheers

Ben

Looking good Ben, where did you get the carpet set from?

Cheers John.

I believe it was Minispares premium

#227 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:14 PM

I started off this morning by doing some glazing.

Rear window cleaned and in

LliO9cm.jpg

E0yO3rc.jpg

You will notice that the rear bench is installed too. It doesn't match the interior at all but is only temporary as the owner is going to be sorting out the seats himself

mY6bVJZ.jpg

Quarter windows cleaned and in

kRkDUKW.jpg

I then took a break from that to get some bits painted. I can now fit the bootlid and the arch trims so they were the obvious choice

o3TLO45.jpg

jkjrD9O.jpg

rFQ7Nm4.jpg

cqi2l73.jpg

oV2PZM4.jpg

With that done, I installed the windscreen

L2cS1lr.jpg

2gYlua6.jpg

And then done a bit more carpeting first starting off by finishing the anti drum

wH2Cpyi.jpg

KKZGoEg.jpg

I then trimmed and fitted the crossmember carpet

mfOcuXd.jpg

And tried the rear carpet for size

vI6cCTi.jpg

It doesn't naturally sit quite right but if held in position looks good so ill be using the press studs supplied with the carpet to achieve this especially as cars of this age have the correct bracketry on the floor to install them.

Before I finalise that, the seat restraint brackets need installing.

I also need to finish gluing down the front of the crossmember carpet once I have cut the carpet for the seat bolts.

More tomorrow.

Cheers

Ben

#228 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:39 AM

This thing is looking like another stunner from you guys! Awesome work as ever!

#229 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:51 PM

Well today has been a very frustrating day.

I had planned to fit the boot lid and arches that I painted yesterday but as soon as I brought them out of the spraybooth I noticed a problem.

The colour was wrong...

I used the first batch of paint on the bodyshell and so needed to order a few more litres to paint the panels and other bits. After lots of discussions with the supplier about what the problem could be (he only has one variation on his scheme) it was found that the second batch had been accidentally mixed using his other scheme which uses completely different tinters and a different formulation.

One of those things I suppose and it is the first time it has happened in all the years I have used them so ill just have to repaint the parts again. He has replaced the paint with the correct colour now so ill get on with that in the morning.

Instead, I continued with the trimming.

After lots of trimming and removing/refitting the rear carpet, I am now satisfied that it's the best fit it's going to be 

Ly1COOT.jpg

So I installed the seatbelts

87mtzbS.jpg

Oh and before that, I ran speaker wire front to back for the parcel shelf speakers.

Although I am not going to be installing a radio into this, I am preparing all of the wiring so that one can be fitted down the line. This involved making up a separate ISO wiring loom which I shall finish plumbing in tomorrow.

I also bolted in the front seats

5Q1GLik.jpg

I am leaving the front carpet out for the time being as I would like to get the engine in first however my engine crane is off being repaired and will be back tomorrow.

I also fitted the sun visors and rear view mirror (not pictured)

So back to painting tomorrow!

Ben

#230 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:57 PM

The interior is looking really good! Shame about the paint on the arches though. It'd be cool to see pictures of the car with the GTS arches fitted. 

Would the owner consider fitting GTS style seats? (I think they'd suit the rest of the interior nicely.) They had a slight bucket to them with a dip in the foam and a cool pattern on the vinyl. 

#231 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:39 PM

The interior is looking really good! Shame about the paint on the arches though. It'd be cool to see pictures of the car with the GTS arches fitted. 

Would the owner consider fitting GTS style seats? (I think they'd suit the rest of the interior nicely.) They had a slight bucket to them with a dip in the foam and a cool pattern on the vinyl. 

Cheers Vinay.

I'm not sure what the plans are regarding seats but the ones you say about sound like they would look great in this.

#232 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:05 PM

Cheers Vinay.

I'm not sure what the plans are regarding seats but the ones you say about sound like they would look great in this.

This is the only decent picture I have in my imgur collection of pictures. It was an old set of worn seats that I had considered purchasing and fitting. This design was used on later GTSs with the bigger discs and wheels. They've got extra padding on the sides with a cloth centre and I think they were all the typical 70s brown on brown colour scheme. 

BNhuR2v.jpg

I'll try and find a better picture, but since the door cards are black, perhaps black vinyl with a dark grey/black cloth insert would be cool. These also had a headrest slot, but I don't think they ever came factory fitted with a headrest. 

#233 ccdavid

ccdavid

Starting My Mini Up

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:43 AM

Cheers Vinay.

This is the only decent picture I have in my imgur collection of pictures. It was an old set of worn seats that I had considered purchasing and fitting. This design was used on later GTSs with the bigger discs and wheels. They've got extra padding on the sides with a cloth centre and I think they were all the typical 70s brown on brown colour scheme. 

BNhuR2v.jpg

I'll try and find a better picture, but since the door cards are black, perhaps black vinyl with a dark grey/black cloth insert would be cool. These also had a headrest slot, but I don't think they ever came factory fitted with a headrest. 

Hi Vinay

You're right they didn't have headrests, but if you can find an SA produced SD1 headrest, you will see it fits perfectly - if you're lucky even the colour/trim will match. That's what i did.

#234 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

The workmanship looks excellent as always Ben.

That looks like a Newton Commercial carpet and the fit of those seems to be the best.

I had those seats in a Russet Brown 1978 mini 1000 that I was lucky to have had from new. I loved that car. I traded in a Vauxhall Magnum 1800 to buy it. The mini was like a breath of fresh air to drive after that thing.

If only I knew then what I know now.

Edited by MikeRotherham, 10 August 2018 - 02:52 PM.

#235 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:06 PM

Not too much done today as I was working on some other bits but I did get the latest batch of parts prepped and repainted in the correct colour.

nGmJeEM.jpg

GzLzVUU.jpg

PLAlW4S.jpg

vZ2SUZ2.jpg

6qqcqtY.jpg

And after they baked, I slipped on the arches to check the colour

LLseb2d.jpg

Perfect match now.

I also finished the ISO wiring and tested that with a head unit. all is good.

Ben

#236 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:00 AM

Looks good.

How long did it take to re-prep those panels? was it jsut a case of giving the whole lot a rubdown with some sandpaper?

#237 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:29 AM

Looks good.

How long did it take to re-prep those panels? was it jsut a case of giving the whole lot a rubdown with some sandpaper?

Cheers

Not long at all to prep, probably 20 minutes or so

The hinges and arches were prepped dry with a grey scotch brite and the boot lid was sanded with 400grit dry on the outer skin and the inner frame prepped with a grey scotchbrite and then the whole lot was overcoated with the correct colour

Edited by Ben_O, 11 August 2018 - 10:30 AM.

#238 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:49 PM

A few more bits done the past few days.

Boot lid built up and fitted

NGIphao.jpg

And then got the doors out of storage and finished the prep. No reason why they can't be painted now

QCDRXef.jpg

pyAd4q4.jpg

Plus the spacers and hinges

yoQqj7r.jpg

UmtN8Gh.jpg

0QAynX2.jpg

And then on with the Bronze yellow

XMUKl4M.jpg

Kvevmh6.jpg

1aGXlkF.jpg

I plan to flat and polish the doors tomorrow before fitting them

Cheers