288 replies to this topic

#256 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:44 PM

very nice.  i shall look forward to seeing them on the car I hope.

I did notice in that first photo that you've introduced a stacking system to save space  ;D

#257 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:14 PM

very nice.  i shall look forward to seeing them on the car I hope.

I did notice in that first photo that you've introduced a stacking system to save space  ;D

Ha ha, yeah

We have a 914 imported from California and nowhere to keep it so it kinda moves around to where it isn't in the way :lol:

#258 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:33 PM

Yeah sure.
Split it into the 3 main parts, drill the rivets and remove the top bracket and remove the badge.
I scrub the whole thing with a grey scotchbrite wet with plain water. This removes all the crap and if you rub quite hard on any areas where the black paint is chipped it will rub it back nicely. The grey scotchbrite isn't too abrasive so leaves the silver parts with a nice sheen.
I then cleaned it all off, de-greased and carefully masked up the silver parts and then sprayed on about half a dozen light coats of matt black. I also cleaned the rust and flaky paint from the top bracket and primed that followed by a few coats of matt black also.
Once dry, i de-masked and reassembled with nice new rivets, black self tappers and black washers for the screws.

Brilliant, Ben. Thank you.  :thumbsup:

#259 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 11:13 AM

Not much worthy of photos the past week but I have finished plumbing in the engine, bleeding the brakes and clutch and it's now running and driving

T77ZZMN.jpg

The interior is 98% finished now. I just need to pick up some more contact adhesive to fix the carpeting that goes on the inner front arches

TVvJz4H.jpg

As part of the engine plumbing, I fitted the exhaust system too

6NaPBrY.jpg

I have a small list of outstanding small parts to order and fit and then I shall set up the suspension, tracking, castor and camber.

Cheers

Ben

#260 miniireland

miniireland

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 03:51 PM

Lovely

#261 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:22 PM

Today, I have made a start on the flatting and polishing of the paintwork.

I started off doing the roof.

lhbH9sI.jpg

75tAT19.jpg

And then moved onto the bonnet

19jem58.jpg

Cyw9dKZ.jpg

F5cpWVs.jpg

Just the sides and back to go!

#262 leyland73

leyland73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 05:59 PM

Just gorgeous, car looks absolutely lovely.

#263 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:20 PM

I have finished the initial polishing now.

I will re-visit with a softer pad and some fine compound closer to it's departure as it's likely to sat under a cover for some time.

SU64xx0.jpg

zfb6iAI.jpg

1CiJBfg.jpg

bGnb5f2.jpg

0oULeHO.jpg

2zN1GWP.jpg

8c9QfiW.jpg

1CiJBfg.jpg

1eprred.jpg

And I finished fitting the carpets completing the interior

1lX2yL5.jpg

This afternoon, I shall make a start setting up the suspension, tracking, castor and camber and then It just needs a good run and a valet and it's finished

Ben

#264 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:28 PM

Wow that looks gorgeous, really nice and love the colour too.  Just think yellow GT's look just right.

One question and not wanting to criticise, are the chrome wheelarch strips finishing at the same points on each of the arches?

#265 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:31 PM

Wow that looks gorgeous, really nice and love the colour too.  Just think yellow GT's look just right.

One question and not wanting to criticise, are the chrome wheelarch strips finishing at the same points on each of the arches?

Thanks.

The chrome side trims aren't finished yet. They need to come back off so that i can wax beneath the arch trims anyway so they will be done later.

I am contemplating getting some more of it and starting again as Minispares ones are rolled the wrong way making it impossible to follow the sharp bend in the arches (bottom of the a panels and bottom of the front of the quarter arch)

I bought some elsewhere on another project and they were rolled the other way making them much nicer fitting.

Cheers

Ben

#266 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:37 PM

Thanks.

The chrome side trims aren't finished yet. They need to come back off so that i can wax beneath the arch trims anyway so they will be done later.

I am contemplating getting some more of it and starting again as Minispares ones are rolled the wrong way making it impossible to follow the sharp bend in the arches (bottom of the a panels and bottom of the front of the quarter arch)

I bought some elsewhere on another project and they were rolled the other way making them much nicer fitting.

Cheers

Ben

No worries, where did you get the nicer fitting trims from?

Jonny

#267 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 04:47 PM

Thanks.

Cheers

Ben

No worries, where did you get the nicer fitting trims from?

Jonny

M&m's I believe

#268 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:04 PM

Just out of curiosity whats the chassis like on the 08 plate Navara on the ramp in one of the photos?

#269 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:19 PM

Just out of curiosity whats the chassis like on the 08 plate Navara on the ramp in one of the photos?

Not snapped but pretty crusty!

#270 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:00 PM

Its a real shame as they look nice pickups.  Thats the reason why I went L200, much better condition I found when looking.  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users