#16 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:21 PM

Lots going on there, not all of which I understand much like spiguy has already said. Really need some usable data. Lots of options but by far the best option (other than testbook) is one of the recent PC based applications that can actually data log.

I can guarantee you that every adjustment screw has been screwed in and out, meaning the base 'tune' is messed up.

#17 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:33 PM

Actually I think the PC based software gives too much info if anything as most folks haven’t understood how the system is supposed to work.....
Most Spis don’t work due to the basics....and oh the wiring is probably rotten after all this time.

Go step by step, confirm mechanically it is set up correctly and serviced (by the way vacuum pipes and fuel trap are service items as Craig has written. There is no black art to these just logic an perseverance and assume nothing.

FS

#18 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:07 PM

Actually I think the PC based software gives too much info if anything as most folks haven’t understood how the system is supposed to work.....
Most Spis don’t work due to the basics....and oh the wiring is probably rotten after all this time.

Go step by step, confirm mechanically it is set up correctly and serviced (by the way vacuum pipes and fuel trap are service items as Craig has written. There is no black art to these just logic an perseverance and assume nothing.

FS

Can't argue with that, but for the likes of us that information is needed, either that or being in front of the car yourself

#19 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:38 PM

FS

Can't argue with that, but for the likes of us that information is needed, either that or being in front of the car yourself

True, I guess that’s something to bear in mind.. it much easier to diagnose problems when you can see the issues and follow the logic of the variances detected than try and narrow down the possible causes by post

#20 MiniAida

MiniAida

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:44 PM

Hi All,

• 2016. Failed MOT on emissions. Replaced catalytic converter. Passes MOT. Given back to me and the exhaust acoustics are much louder. On the way home the car cuts 
  • Towed home. Fires up but chases idle (exhaust acoustics sound like a revving tank)
  • After a few drives the acoustics start to increase again. I find that the new MAP sensor hose connector (straight design) has been slipping off so I replace with an right-angled connector which offers a tighter grip.
  • Coolant temp 33deg C
  • Lambda 740mV

OK here's my 2p worth.....

I wonder if the exhaust sound is a clue. If you've got a leak in the exhaust manifold, the Lambda readings will be all over the shop.

Going up hills could be exaggerating this as the engine will be under more strain & flexing the whole system making a leak worse.

If you've got the standard exhaust / inlet system, the downpipe bolts on just under the lambda sensor, so I'd be tempted to check around there. Easiest to do if the front's on stands / ramp & the engine's cold (so you don't burn yourself). You'll need to get underneath and behind the engine to see the downpipe, but be able to feel any leak blowing on your hand if you hold it close to the joint & check all around. Obviously this area warms up quickly, so don't touch any of the pipes.

The exhaust noise in the engine bay will be noticeably more than usual when you rev, so you could try that before fumbling around from underneath.

Otherwise, do try and get it looked at by someone on here with a scanner & a bit of experience. It will save a lot of hassle (and money probably).

Most mechanics are honest, but the SPi is a bit of an enigma and I'm sure someone in the local mini community would be more than happy to take a look.

Good luck!

MA

#21 mini 4o

mini 4o

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Local Club: corfu mini's

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:24 PM

I replaced the ambient air temp sensor and now the coolant temperature sensor and sender.

coolant temp sensor  is "one thing", it is the sender .So, are you shure you replaced the right thing? It's a bit of work O_O

My mechanic did and he wasn't happy about it! (So I am assuming it was a big job!)

was the water way clear ?? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users