261 replies to this topic

#151 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:13 PM

It's a brand new crank that was fitted by someone I trust so I doubt that. But it's something I will check when I have the motor out.

#152 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:55 AM

Is the flywheel loose on the crank? Let's hope not.
Noise may go in this case with clutch depressed.

#153 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:00 PM

When you lift the engine can you use the two head bolts either end. Does that disturb the head seal? By undoing them and then doing them up again?

#154 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:39 AM

So I have the engine out to investigate the clutch rattle. The release bearing which I think is new does have a tiny bit of play. But it does t make sense that it's the source of the rattle?

https://youtu.be/3w5vR3EIXNQ

#155 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:00 AM

That’s nothing. The issue is elsewhere.

#156 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:51 PM

I agree, it chatters like a magpie at idle and if you put some revs on it. But if you dip the clutch the chatter goes away. i've been reading articles in the forum to try and find out what it might be. Answers to this thread have helped. I haven't taken the clutch or flywheel off yet as I've got to get a new puller, its ordered. I have straight cut gears in the box but helical drop gears. My engine builder told me not to get SC drop gears as they are fearfully noisy. This is set up is noisy enough. Nothing loose in the clutch housing, shame as i was hoping to find something simple early on. So its either the drop gears or something in the main box. Do the drop gears turn when in neutral? I'll take the clutch and fly wheel off. Although I'm thinking about sending the engine back to the builder to get him to take a look.

#157 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:24 PM

In neutral and foot off the clutch the drop gears are turning. Clutch pedal pressed and drop gears are static.

#158 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:36 PM

with clutch engaged (..and engine running..); primary, drop gears, first motion and layshaft will be turning all the time

with clutch disengaged; crank tail spins within the bushes of the (..in theory..) static primary gear and therefore no drive transmitted through the drop gears

Edited by KTS, 19 May 2019 - 01:38 PM.

#159 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:56 PM

So ina search for a rattle that goes away when the clutch is depressed. I'm looking for something g that might rattle when its engaged. Primary, drop gears, layshaft and first motion could all be the cause.

#160 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:01 PM

So I've sorted out my engine problem. I had the fuel overflow pipe blocked off. I think i did it so petrol didn't leak during transport. Now she goes like Sh*t off Shovel.

Now I have a problem with the drive shaft or the UV joint. or maybe with the wheel bearing. The drive shaft on the drivers side is not fully into the diff, maybe three inches of metal sticking out. Obviuolsy its working becuase you can drive it but it doesn't sound right at all. Plus its knocking on lock which is classic UV issue. Should the drive shaft be right in against the seal on the diff on both sides or do they stick out when necessary?

#161 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:03 PM

just about a flush fit.

#162 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:09 PM

Well thats a problem then because the pot is a good two to three inches out of the diff seal. the threads must just be hanging on. How do I push the pots in further just leaver them in. Should they then click into place and not come out again?

#163 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:33 PM

the diff output shafts should have c-clips that lock into the pot joint to stop them sliding off

the driveshafts lock into the pot/cv joints in the same way

is it just one side that has the issue or both ?  if you are able to post a photo of what's going on it might be useful

#164 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 04:56 PM

I've got a horrifying clicking sound and sticking in the near side front hub. probably bearing its all new, just under 500 miles. I've almost certainly put the bearing in wrong or not done it up tight enough. I've got new bearings but i can't get the old hub off.

steering arm, top and bottom ball joints all off, the hub should pull off of the drive shaft NO? it moves about 4mm and then won't come any further. I pulled it hard and it pulled the pot joint out of the diff. Not sure what to do. is there a way of leavering the hubb off the drive shaft?

#165 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 04:57 PM

perhaps I could get a hubb puller on it somehow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users