261 replies to this topic

#181 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:40 AM

i've actaully got a digital torque wrench that goes on the end of the ratchet.

#182 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:45 PM

I used my standard torque wrench with the washers to do it all up to 200lbs and left it like that over night. then switched to the cone washer. didn't need a bar the torque wrench is pretty long went together easily. total change to the car. everything on the front end feels freer. it felt like something was tight, i suspect it was actually loose. but it was making a hell of a racket. fitted my racetech rev counter today. anyone wants a proper smiths rev counter i Have one to sell.

#183 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:00 AM

how far in should the pot joints be on the drive shaft from the diff. mine seam to have a couple of inches or more of the inner part of the pot joint showing outside of the diff oil seal. Should these be shoved in deeper? I'm trying to trace a decent size oil leak under the car and the seals around the pot joints look oily. there doesn't seem to be a clip or anything on the end of the pot joint. There is one that attaches the pot joint to the drive shaft but nothing it would seem that holds the pot joint to the splines in the diff????

#184 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:04 AM

second oil leak area is around the rocker box cover. The car came with the thick cork gasket but it seems to be leaky all around. are there better quality rocker box cover seals and should you use some qaulity high temp gasket seal on this gasket? my cover has hand screws rather than bolts so perhaps its just not tight enough. Perhaps some washers would be a good idea.

#185 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:18 AM

leaks are generally just poor positioning and or over tightening.

some covers hold the gasket in place better than others.

#186 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:24 AM

how far in should the pot joints be on the drive shaft from the diff. mine seam to have a couple of inches or more of the inner part of the pot joint showing outside of the diff oil seal. Should these be shoved in deeper? I'm trying to trace a decent size oil leak under the car and the seals around the pot joints look oily. there doesn't seem to be a clip or anything on the end of the pot joint. There is one that attaches the pot joint to the drive shaft but nothing it would seem that holds the pot joint to the splines in the diff????

edit:  http://www.theminifo...11#entry3614339

Edited by KTS, 06 October 2019 - 11:29 AM.

#187 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:33 AM

there is a C clip on the out put shaft that engages in the pot joint as can be seen here

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

and the pot joint should be close to the cover. circa 1/4"

#188 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:56 AM

Like this

Attached Files

#189 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 03:39 PM

yup as I thought mine are definately wrong they are not fully in. will they click as I push them in and the circlip engages?

#190 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 03:47 PM

While you guys are helping how do I connect up an oil temperature gauge. I have oil pressure and an oil light off of a tee piece on the sensor. Where do you connect a further sensor for the temperature?

#191 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:13 PM

yup as I thought mine are definately wrong they are not fully in. will they click as I push them in and the circlip engages?

They can click but depends on how easy they slide in. it might not be going in easily due to them being at the wrong angle or the diff cover bushes being to small for the pot joints. if you push them in as far as the picture posted above it should be held in by the clip, try pulling it out by hand, it shouldn't come out if it's in fully.

#192 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:06 AM

While you guys are helping how do I connect up an oil temperature gauge. I have oil pressure and an oil light off of a tee piece on the sensor. Where do you connect a further sensor for the temperature?

in the oil cooler thermostat. or in a suitable oil filter head.

#193 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:38 PM

here is a question can Ive narrowed the oil leak down to the timing cover. I'm pretty sure that its coming from the seal around the crank pully? Question is if I take the radiator out can I change the timing cover gasket and the crank pully seal with the engine in the car?

#194 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:09 PM

Yes.

Handy tip from someone here was to fit the timing cover loosely and only tighten the fasteners up after the pulley has been refitted, that way the oil seal is centred on the pulley..

#195 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:33 PM

Yes i remember reading that as well. I presume I don't need to take off the water pump?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users