261 replies to this topic

#211 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 09:08 PM

sorted out the solenoid the connection to my starter button was via the old solenoid so I just by passed the solenoid and it all works well.

I think I've also found the problem with the wipers although not 100% sure. the circlip that holds the main gear in place is missing. This I think means that when the cam goes over the button in the stop switch the gear rises up and down rather than pushing the switch down. Not sure where the circlip has gone but will try and find a suitable one which hopefully will fix the problem. Parking wipers will be good.

#212 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:09 PM

mmm so I spoke too soon on the wipers I think. I've changed the switch, the old one looked brand new any way I haven't used the small wiring loom becacause the main loom is brand new any way. I did look at the tabs in the loom plug and the switch all fine. The cam on the wiper motor cog looks absolutely fine. But I still only have the two wiper speeds slow and fast and they still don't park unless I turn the switch off at the column???

The loom has five wires which I understand is the loom for the later wipers and the motor was new and has the park switch? I'm a bit flumoxed as to why it won't park?? Its not the end of the world just annoying. Intermittant wipers would be great as well if its drizzling.

#213 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 November 2019 - 03:46 PM

I don't think the circlip would've made much difference, the gear is still under the cover plate.

There's a green wire at the motor's multiplug that should be live when the ignition's on. It supplies the column stalk via the park switch so that current is sent from the stalk to the low speed windings of the actual motor when off is selected and until the park switch opens. If the wipers stop as soon as you move the stalk to stop then the fault's somewhere in that loop.

green fused live wire - park switch - brown/light green - stalk - red/light green - motor.

Note also,

When the park switch opens it also connects the solid red wire in to the motor to earth so that it's stopped dead and doesn't override the parking cam and set off on another lap.

#214 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 04:29 PM

mmm so I spoke too soon on the wipers I think. I've changed the switch, the old one looked brand new any way I haven't used the small wiring loom becacause the main loom is brand new any way. I did look at the tabs in the loom plug and the switch all fine. The cam on the wiper motor cog looks absolutely fine. But I still only have the two wiper speeds slow and fast and they still don't park unless I turn the switch off at the column???

The loom has five wires which I understand is the loom for the later wipers and the motor was new and has the park switch? I'm a bit flumoxed as to why it won't park?? Its not the end of the world just annoying. Intermittant wipers would be great as well if its drizzling.

#215 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:54 AM

Ethel thanks for this very helpful. two things jumped out at me. the green wire is fused? an in line fuse presumably? I wonder where that is and if its still intact so thats a search point. secondly that the red wire is earthed from the switch. Should the motor body be seperately earthed I presumed it was earthed throught the cable that drives the wipers that are firmly attached to the body.

#216 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 04:39 PM

Interesting that I checked the green wire and with the ignition on there was no power there. I'm waiting for some time to check the whole loom. Took the car out yesterday and the rev counter isn't working. fiddled with the wires nothing. But shock horror the wipers are parking????. Then suddenly I have working rev counter and parking wipers. Hooray??

Started her up and took her out this morning, no more parking wipers. Could this be a loose earth wire, its certainly a wiring mystery???

by the way I don't seem to have a purely green wire just a mostly green wire. This is the plug in the picture.Attached File  20191129_131607-774x1032.jpg   30.13K   4 downloads

#217 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:56 PM

added an extra earth from the motor body of the wipers to a solid ground and wipers park.

Next job why don't the lights flash when you pull the switch. dip and main beam both work so I suspect this is a switch issue.

#218 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:33 PM

Sorry I may have called the colour wrong, but it should still trace back to fuse 3 on a 4 fuse fusebox I think? A wiring giagram will confirm.

Looking at your photo it's the one behind green/red (slow wipe) 

wiperplug.gif

#219 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:35 PM

Next job why don't the lights flash when you pull the switch. dip and main beam both work so I suspect this is a switch issue.

Headlight flasher shares a supply (purple wire), and fuse, with the horn and interior light.

#220 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:43 AM

Ethel, continued determination to assist much much appreciated. The self parking has gone west again LOL. Clearly a loose wire somewhere. The only thing I've changed is to put the wiper motor cover back on again. Perhaps I've knocked the plug loose, who knows. fortunately the mini isn't my daily driver,

Thanks for the thoughts on the flashers I'll take a look today. Its bloody cold in the shed though LOL

#221 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:44 PM

So today I was driving in the rain. NO Self parking. But then I switched the lights on and lo and behold self parking wipers???? lights off, self parking off LOL. I've looked at the wiring diagram but no obvious answers. Any thoughts Ethel or from the electrical genius's out there. I still need to work out the flash unit as well. The lights switch from main to dip no problem but don't flash with the lights off. Not a major issue but irritating. I've got to take the heater matrix out as its got a leak so that will be a good time to get to all the wiring under the dash. Cheers

#222 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:50 PM

I still reckon going through the park circuit, as I set out above, is the way to go. Start at the live on the motor connector (piccy 4 posts up) with a test lamp between a good earth and work your way round the loop to the low speed wire going in to the motor. Be sure to have the ignition key in the appropriate position!

The headlight poltergeist action could be anything from dropping the overall voltage and slowing the motor enough to not override or equalising potential across the motor via poorly grounded earth wiring.

#223 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:01 PM

just starting on a little tune up. I have a high lift cam in the engine. Fast road nothing too silly. Question is should I set the valve gaps higher than usual. they are currently at 12 thousanths. I'e read on here that I could go as high has 15 or go with 12 inlet and 14 exhaust. Also should I run more advance. I actually have the advance at idle at something like 16 btdc as it seems happy there and doesn't pink under load. I do use good fuel. I had it set at 12 btdc and it didn't pick up or rev as well. Any thoughts appreciated

#224 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:03 PM

It depends on the cam? What does the maker suggest?

#225 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:47 AM

I still reckon going through the park circuit, as I set out above, is the way to go. Start at the live on the motor connector (piccy 4 posts up) with a test lamp between a good earth and work your way round the loop to the low speed wire going in to the motor. Be sure to have the ignition key in the appropriate position!

The headlight poltergeist action could be anything from dropping the overall voltage and slowing the motor enough to not override or equalising potential across the motor via poorly grounded earth wiring.

Does it still park correctly with the headlights on? If so is the park to the motor wired from or to the lighting circuit accidentally?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users