261 replies to this topic

#46 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:57 PM

So Im replacing the front drums with the 7.5inch disc set up. It all looks pretty straight forward. Only problem Ive had is getting the old CV joint off. The new ones with the discs have a bigger spline on the outside. So I put the drive shaft in the vice and gave it a wack with a screwdriver and a hammer. NOthing. Couple more wacks and off it came. Problem was I was hitting the split ring that goes round the shaft not the actual CV joint. Ive managed to break the ring. Does anyone know what part number this is and if its replaceable or do I need a new shaft?

Attached Files

#47 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:20 PM

https://rimmerbros.c...m--i-GRID000768

#48 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 06:54 PM

thanks Steve but I can’t seem to find which one of those parts in the list your code is referring too? Clicking on your link takes me to a list of drive shaft parts. Is it part no 6 in those diagrams. Which doesn’t seem to correspond to anything that they have? I’m going to make sure I don’t break it on the other side???

#49 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:19 PM

Try this;

http://www.somerford...roducts_id=2983

Got the manifold and orange diaphram OK by the way thanks.

#50 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:42 AM

Yup ordered some from them. Ordered two just in case LOL

hows the engine coming along?

#51 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:50 PM

So my latest question involves the seats. I’ve got some really great green and cream seat covers from Newton commercial to match the paintwork. Black carpets. They look great. Problem is I stripped all the smelly old foam off the seats and I can’t find any details anywhere on how to attach the foams to the frames. The foams for the seat I have from Newton seem too big. The base foam overhangs the front of the seat by about three inches. Does anyone have any pictures of mini seats with just the foams no covers in place I can use as a reference. Newton have instructions for fitting the diaphragms and the covers but nothing it seems for the seat foams themselves???

#52 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:33 AM

I couldn't work them out either, in the end, because there was a problem with the manufacture of my back seat cover, Newton fitted all my covers for no charge - speak to them, I'm sure they'll be happy to explain the method (then put a video up for other people who are scratching their heads!)  

#53 spraybeater

spraybeater

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Local Club: Mcr

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:39 AM

So my latest question involves the seats. I’ve got some really great green and cream seat covers from Newton commercial to match the paintwork. Black carpets. They look great. Problem is I stripped all the smelly old foam off the seats and I can’t find any details anywhere on how to attach the foams to the frames. The foams for the seat I have from Newton seem too big. The base foam overhangs the front of the seat by about three inches. Does anyone have any pictures of mini seats with just the foams no covers in place I can use as a reference. Newton have instructions for fitting the diaphragms and the covers but nothing it seems for the seat foams themselves???

For what its worth MiniWorld Mag! did  a couple of articles of Newton Commercial recovering front and rear seats

Dec 2017 for the front seats and Jan 2018 for the rears, might be of interest ( I have never used Newton ) just giving

MW a little plug since they are featuring my car next month ;D  

#54 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:00 PM

I spoke to Newton today they said they would try and find some information about the foams. But the seat foam seems really big. If you push it right to the back it sticks out about three inches from the front. I could just slice a big chunk off the back but I dont want to cut it and find its then wrong. Im thinking there may be mini seats with longer front seats but I cant think which one it might be.

Ive sent the seat back covers back to them because they put holes for head rests which I dont have.

Attached Files

#55 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:02 PM

I’m sure the front of the foam should be level with the front of the seat maybe a little proud because there is a foam surround that glues round the front.

#56 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:32 PM

So for what its worth I contacted Newton Commercial and they have promised to get one of their seat fitters to talk to me over the phone. The rear seat foam also appeared to be too big but in reality it isn’t you fold it around the frame. I used spray adhesive and pegs to hold it in place. Then the cover stretches over the whole lot. I’ve attached some pics.

#57 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:35 PM

Here is a pic of the finished article my pics of the foams are too big to send. Ill try and reduce them and send if anyone is interested.

Attached Files

#58 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:42 AM

So I’ve spoken to Tom at Newton commercial and the foams are correct. The answer is that you have to chop a small section out of the rear corners so that the back edge goes right under the squab and the rear of the foam. I will take some pics when I get to that stage for everyone to see. I’ve also got the back issues of the mini magazine which show what to do. Although they don’t really show the foam cutting.

#59 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:10 AM

So the engine seems to be coming along well with Andrew and I’m working hard on the interior.  Carpets are in and front seats are now 95% done.  I’ve moved on to the windows.  I managed to get the drivers side wind up window in although its very very very stiff to operate.  The passenger side  I put in last night and it was much easier.  Until I came to wind it up?  It doesn’t go up evenly the glass reaches the top at the rear of the window about an inch before the front??  Tried taking it out and doing it again, same thing?  I wondered if the winder mechanisms are handed i.e left and right but it doesn’t appear so.  I just can’t get the bloody thing to work.  The rollers are in the right place in the grooves on the window frames.  Perhaps they go the other way up on the other doors????  What am I missing?

#60 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,940 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:19 AM

the mechs are handed.

IIRC there should be a tab on the rear edge that "clips with the door frame and the winder is at the front.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users