261 replies to this topic

#121 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:07 PM

I'm still having a major problem with the outside cv joint rubber gaiter. No matter how tight I get the clip the damn thing keeps coming off. That results in all the grease flying up onto the rad and then all over the engine bay. I dont understand why it keeps coming off. I've been using the clips with square holes that has a tool to squish the clip tight. I'm wondering if the old twisted wire would be better. Any ideas?

#122 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:24 PM

I prefer these type of clamps, but you need the tool to fit them. The type of clamp you're using I find the crimped part is too tall and fouls the inside of the hub carrier.

Attached Files

#123 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:49 AM

Maybe that's what's making it come off. I also think I have cheap clips. The bits that go through the square holes dont stay in place very well. The trouble is I've done a out 30 Miles with the boot hanging off so the bearing is probably full of crude.

#124 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:56 PM

Crude oil?..or crud?:)

#125 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:27 AM

Crud LOL I haven't driven across the north sea or Saudi

#126 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 05:55 PM

I had problems getting the CV gaiter ties to hold when I built my car - trying to work under the car doesn't help. In the end I got the garage that did the first MOT to do them on the ramp.

#127 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:39 PM

yeah i do think thats part of the problem. the gaiter is greasy with the grease that has spilt. I don't think the clip comes undone it just slips off the rubber. I've bought some more expensive clips and some with a different system.

#128 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:50 PM

Sorted out the CV joint boot. Gave up with the clips and used a plastic wire tie. Worked a treat.

#129 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:52 PM

My last problem is this awful rattle in the clutch. It's not the release bearing. It gies away when you dip the clutch. I think the engine is going to have to come out to sort this which is really annoying. U tube video attached https://youtu.be/JqwhZJethiA

#130 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 05 April 2019 - 02:03 PM

straight cut drop gears? bit of a cam?

but that is the idler gear rattling.

#131 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 02:10 PM

crikey - doesn't sound good.

you want to get some oil on those door hinges as well  :ohno:

#132 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:01 PM

Straight cut main gears not drop and a fast road cam. Good ears. Yes I've been told it's the idler gear. What's the solution. Engine out clutch off adjust idler gear. Or leave it??? How much damage does it do or is it just noise?

#133 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:19 PM

Straight cut main gears not drop and a fast road cam. Good ears. Yes I've been told it's the idler gear. What's the solution. Engine out clutch off adjust idler gear. Or leave it??? How much damage does it do or is it just noise?

what was the clearance when you set it on the idler? it that was right i would ignore it. as it might just be the straight cut rattling in neutral as they are all turning.

#134 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 05:35 PM

I didn't because I had the engine complete with box and orange clutch and lightened flywheel all delivered. The engine was built by Andrew at Retro Mini so I would be stunned if he hadn't set the idler clearance correctly. He's made me a lovely engine and has been unbelievably helpful. I've sent him the video as well. I have straight cut close ratio gears but not the drop gears as Andrew told me they would be just too noisy for road use. The rattle seems to go away mid range but comes back higher up the rev range. If its not doing any damage and is caused by the straight cut gears i'll leave it because it was an absolute BA83ard getting the engine in and I don't really want to take it out again. It is bloody noisy though, i'm currently limiting to 4000rpm as I'm running in. I've done 200 ish miles.

#135 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 06:43 PM

is it rattling when driving? if yes then it is more likely to be the release bearing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users