Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:00 AM

Hi all,

Had some feedback from SMC about my roof. I knew it had one dent in it already from when I had to put the car upside down in the mattress after my floor issue. But apparently I have a few more. The roof needs to be stripped back anyway due to the crap paint a previous owner put on, however Steve at SMC he given me 2 options (not priced up yet). One is to strip it and skim fill the roof (probably the cheaper option), the other is to replace the entire roof (bloody expensive option!).

As my budget is rapidly diminishing, what would you bodywork gurus suggest is a viable option?

jPMLQ9e.jpg

z2AAQU4.jpg

#2 bluedragon

bluedragon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:33 AM

Well, if the indentations are 3 mm or less, body filler will be perfectly fine for the job. If the headliner is out of the car, a good body person should be able to straighten the dents if they exceed 3 mm or you don't want to use any heavy body filler.

If the dents aren't sharp edged, possibly a "paintless" dent repair person could work them out, especially if it's going to be stripped and repainted anyway. If they're sharp edged, then that person would need access to the backside of the panel (again. headliner out) so no real advantage their over having a regular body shop person straighten it.

Myself personally, if 3 mm or less, I'd use the filler.

Dave

#3 Archived1

Archived1

Super Mini Mad

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:35 AM

That can easily be rectified with paintless dent removal (PDR). To be honest as you’re re painting anyway then anyone worth their salt with panel beating can rectify that in no time.

No need to skim the roof and I wouldn’t upset the welding around the gutter by fitting a new skin.

#4 Archived1

Archived1

Super Mini Mad

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

Blue dragon beat me to it lol

#5 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:48 AM

Cheers chaps. I did wonder if they could be pushed out. None have sharp edges and the car is totally stripped.

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:13 PM

Steve when I checked Paddy’s roof I thought I had captured all of the dents. Alas no I found a couple of sneaky buggers after I had painted the roof.

Now they were indents, reasonably large but no hard edges so with some gentle manipulation with my hands I pushed them out. Job done. No pictures I’m afraid but they pushed out very easily.

#7 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:35 PM

Steve when I checked Paddy’s roof I thought I had captured all of the dents. Alas no I found a couple of sneaky buggers after I had painted the roof.

Now they were indents, reasonably large but no hard edges so with some gentle manipulation with my hands I pushed them out. Job done. No pictures I’m afraid but they pushed out very easily.

Hi Neil,

I'm just a little confused as to why Steve has offered the extremities of replacing the roof when there are other options! Bodywork isn't my forte, unfortunately, so I'm at the hands of those that have a more in depth knowledge of these things. As Steve will also be fitting my headlining (it's the one job I utterly dread doing so leaving it to the pros) I want to make sure the roof is sound before it all goes together.

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:37 PM

Hi Neil,

I'm just a little confused as to why Steve has offered the extremities of replacing the roof when there are other options! Bodywork isn't my forte, unfortunately, so I'm at the hands of those that have a more in depth knowledge of these things. As Steve will also be fitting my headlining (it's the one job I utterly dread doing so leaving it to the pros) I want to make sure the roof is sound before it all goes together.

A decent sheet metal man can sort that out to be honest Steve. I know its not always easy to see things by photo but i have seen far worse sorted out. No new roof required.

#9 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:05 PM

You don't need a new roof or filler. They just need carefully dressing out unless they are worse than they look in the photos.

once they are dressed out, a body file will take car of any remaining imperfections

#10 cookie4343

cookie4343

**Caution: Do Not Feed Alcohol**

• Traders
  • 2,257 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 Mini's

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:31 PM

You don't need a new roof or filler. They just need carefully dressing out unless they are worse than they look in the photos.

once they are dressed out, a body file will take car of any remaining imperfections

You make it sound easy ben lol. Im about to give it a go slapper file in hand. going to practice on some scrap doors first then might get a quote from a PDR dent person to remove as many dents as possible depending on cost from my mk2 golf.

As above any decent panel beater should be able to remove them and my personal opinion you dont need a new roof skin.

Edited by cookie4343, 25 February 2018 - 07:32 PM.

#11 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:48 PM

I does seem excessive. Steve said panel beating will get the most however he still says itll need a skim of filler after.

#12 clarkey31

clarkey31

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:05 PM

As said above changing a roof is the last thing i would do panel beating it should get it all out if the time is spent on it a very light skim wont hurt but better job without i have got worse out of panels

#13 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,800 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:04 PM

It's hard to see what's going on but I would expect a decent bodyshop can get it very close with a shining hammer or disc, and then do the rest with hi build primer

#14 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:13 PM

The roof on a mini has to be perfect before paint, as it's right in the line of sight for most people and probably why he quoted the two extremes to give you a good choice. Yes it could be worked  to a perfect surface by a good metal masher but that won't be cheap either, so a panel beat and skim of filler is what most would do as the cheaper option. using the advise given gives you good range of choices.

#15 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:43 AM

I've got a dent in the NS/F of my roof.

The toerags responsible were caught in the act-

(you may have to ask your daughter/ granddaughter who they are/ were...)

39597675005_74fe2193e0_b.jpg1D#2 by David James, on Flickr

25622679357_cf0b2cace7_b.jpg1D#1 by David James, on Flickr

39597674845_f2f51cae7c_b.jpg1D#3 by David James, on Flickr

39597674615_14c334551b_b.jpg1D#4 by David James, on Flickr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users