21 replies to this topic

#1 benjwildeboer

benjwildeboer

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:11 AM

Ok, I have a slight dilemma that I could do with some opinions on.

For the last few years my Mini has been sat unused in a barn in a dry, carpetted space. Not bone dry as it's not properly sealed but there's a dehumidifier running 24/7 so it's pretty dry. Cold, but dry.

I am losing this space so need to find somewhere else to keep the Mini (and my old Rover as well, but that's less of a priority).

I'm building a business and live in a pretty expensive rented house, so my income is pretty low and expenditure already pretty high, so I can't really afford to rent a unit or garage, and besides we live in the middle of nowhere so there aren't any garages or units nearby anyway.

I want to get the Mini running again (it was in pretty good shape when parked up 3 or so years ago, should just need some basic recommissioning work.

I'm therefore toying with the idea of just keeping it on my driveway under a cover, and looking for somewhere come the Autumn when hopefully I'll be a bit more financially flexible and I would have had a good Summer of use out of it.

We have a 2 car driveway which is already filled but I'm happy to park my daily Merc on the village green 50 yards away, and I don't think that'll pose a problem.

Am I mad? My Mini is in pretty good shape, rear subframe was replaced 8 years ago when I first got it on the road and from memory the underneath is pretty solid. Scuttle and A panels are a bit scabby but otherwise it's alright.

Am I signing the Mini's death sentence by condemning it to a life outside?

Edited by benjwildeboer, 28 February 2018 - 11:13 AM.

#2 cooperdan

cooperdan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:21 AM

You do what you got to do really

Your business has to come first, and its not end the world it being sat outside covered up. its not going to rot over night, as long as its been well protected underneath and all that etc. then 5 months or so is nothing at all in my eyes

#3 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:33 AM

http://www.theminifo...f-wight/page-24

One of these covers might be an option, got to say that even with the snow we are experiencing at the moment the cover is working great with no condensation on or in the car.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:50 AM

Personally I'd build a timber shed just big enough to store the car

#5 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:03 PM

Car port might be a cheap idea too. Waxoyl the nuts off it while you have it in the dry and free of grit etc.

#6 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

Mine has been used daily in the wetter colder months and parked outside on a north facing driveway in the dryer periods as I like to commute via motorcycle if possible.

so basically it has been outside in a place that never sees the sun for 13 years unless its being used as its raining or I need to carry something.

As for corrosion it is virtually the same condition as it was when I recommissioned it 13 years ago due to large amounts of spray oil, chain lube and anything else oil based i can chuck at it. The secret is to soak it everywhere to start with then keep topping it up during dry periods. You need the remove the doors, tip them upside down and drown them. same with the boot skin, sills, under the scuttle from inside the engine bay etc etc.

My three other minis are tucked away in a heated garage but after 20 years or so there is the tiny bit of corrosion here and there and they don`t get wet ever.

A wooden shed/ car port type thing is easy to make and is far better than any sweaty cover no mater how much the glossy literature tries to convince otherwise. 

#7 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:09 PM

If you have outside space, a friend used to keep his VW beetle in a metal-tube-framed 6m x 3m tent/marquee affair that you can find quite easily on searches. I think he tack welded all the joints to make it stronger and strengthened the side panels.

something like https://www.houseoft...vd6ee6sgbvbet66

I'm sure cheaper are available!

This was over his drive and was always dry inside. It gave plenty of room to get in/around the car though I am sure that you could get a smaller one for a mini.

I've been thinking of getting one since!

Edited by jonlad, 28 February 2018 - 03:14 PM.

#8 panky

panky

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:27 PM

It all depends on how much space you have and what you are allowed to to put in that space. A Trikehome is far better than a fitted cover, in my opinion, but you need to check for condensation occasionally in the very cold weather, just means giving the inside a quick wipe - I think I've done mine three times over the winter.

45OnZxQ.jpg

MVjTsfu.jpg

#9 benjwildeboer

benjwildeboer

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

Thanks guys, I'm suitably reassured that this isn't such a stupid idea afterall.

I don't want to / can't build or fabricate anything. We live in a rented listed house in a conservation area and the driveway is at the front of the house so any car ports / semi-permanent structures are a no-no. I don't particularly want to annoy the National Trust either, I sometimes get a fairly "Hot-Fuzz" vibe from some of the more prominent members of the village!

I think that Trike home is a good compromise, either that or just a tailored car cover. I conveniently forgot that the last time the car was on the road was when my fiance needed a run around and so for about 9 months it was used and abused in all conditions, and parked on the road next to our old house.

It's a tough old cookie really, I'm sure it'll be fine. I want to eventually do a complete strip down restoration anyway so it can live outside for a year or so.

Thanks chaps, much appreciated. Watch this space, I may do a simple recommissioning thread.

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:15 PM

Ben been kicked of the farm by your Sis?

out door storage. I am not a fan of covers sitting on the car for a long time. I do like air to be able to move about the car.  but a good cover over it for the winter and no cover in the summer.

or a frame with a cover that is kept away from the shell.

if the car is in fair condition it should be fine. but if there is rust and it gets damp it will get worse.

#11 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:00 PM

There was a recently thread http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/332899-non-ventilating-car-cover-rusty-engine/ 

where someone has been storing under a fitted cover outside and the engine bay suffered, and no doubt the rest of the car as well.

I have a concrete garage but my cars suffer from condensation on damp days, so it really isnt perfect storage.

Have a look at outside carcoons?

I think the best option is a car port, stops rain leaking in and allows condensation to wick away.

#12 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

Kept mine for coming up for 2 decades in an unheated single 60's crinkly roof garage - the up & over door is a poor fit as is the side door, the roof leaks a bit too..... but IMHO its the best place for the mini - it's 99.9% dry and there's constant airflow - mini is laid up with thick coat of old turtle wax not polished off, windows open and a blanket over the engine ....has no "raw" chrome though......

I'm not a fan of keeping cars totally covered... but minis really don't react well to unused & prolonged outside storage

#13 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:34 PM

What's your budget?
If car>costs look for a carcoon. amazing stuff, just a tad on the expensive side!

#14 benjwildeboer

benjwildeboer

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:32 AM

Thanks again guys - the Mini is now stood up on the driveway with a cheapo car cover. It's not a minter by any standards so a few months outside won't hurt it, hopeing to get it MOT's in the next month or so so it should get a fair amount of use over the summer. When things start getting dark, wet and cold again towards the end of the year I'll think about somewhere a bit more appropriate!

#15 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:28 PM

http://www.theminifo...f-wight/page-24

One of these covers might be an option, got to say that even with the snow we are experiencing at the moment the cover is working great with no condensation on or in the car.

I have one of those and the condensation was horrendous. They even sent me another cover in case mine was leaking (it was not)/. Mine is bolted to a fully paved parking area and figured if I put a spacer (pieces of 2 x 1) under the bolted down frame it might increase the airflow. It worked. So even though the cover comes with good high level vents it need low level airflow to stop or reduce the condensation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users