• Absolutely Completely and Utterly Terrified

Anyone else agree?  :lol:

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:24 PM

The problems with driving in snow in Britain is more complicated than that

We can't afford the level of snow clearing equipment the Scandinavian countries, for example, have because we don't have very much snow. The impact on council tax would be huge.

The traffic density on our roads is very high and as soon as it has to slow down it is a problem.

Modern cars are not best suited to snow and ice and we don't require Winter tyres as part of C & U laws. Modern tyres are normally very wide for styling reasons, but a wide tyre with close pattern treads will never work well in snow. i know my BMW with its 275/40 x 19 tyres is useless.

Drivers under the age of around 45 have no training and little experience with driving in snow & ice due to years of mild Winters with only, perhaps, a couple of days of snow per year.

Our Minis were always good in the snow when we had Dunlop SP3 or Goodyear G800 tyres in the 145 section width, but with the trend for ever-wider wheels and close pattern tyres they are less good nowadays.

#3 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:34 PM

I've been driving my wifes Seat Ibiza for the past couple of days and it's truly useless in the snow.

It's got 245/45/17s on it, the gearing means that you can't get it to go down a hill with engine braking at a nice speed.

She absolutely refuses to drive in the snow, which, to be honest I'm fine with.

I nearly got taken out by a bloke in a VW Toureg yesterday, the speed he approached the T junction was just insane, he slid across my whole lane, fortunately I saw him coming.

If this is going to be a regular occurrence I'll go back to running winter tyres.

A young lad I know stuffed his Merc A class the other day making a completely unnecessary journey. 

I don't mind driving in the snow, you just have to plan ahead, slow right down before bends, at the top of hills etc.

#4 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:46 PM

What I noticed today is while I'm comfortable driving in the snow the biggest problem I find is the majority of drivers seem to have a complete lack of awareness of the loss of adhesion when the snow is packed hard on the minor roads.

I've adjusted my speed but I'm concerned about the number of near misses caused by other drivers drifting onto my side of the road simply because they aren't slowing down and taking the conditions into account.

I watched one driver in front of me today on her phone slowly drift off the side of the road and into a hedge and she still carried on with the call!

#5 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:14 PM

I've been driving my wifes Seat Ibiza for the past couple of days and it's truly useless in the snow.

It's got 245/45/17s on it, the gearing means that you can't get it to go down a hill with engine braking at a nice speed.

I nearly got taken out by a bloke in a VW Toureg yesterday, the speed he approached the T junction was just insane, he slid across my whole lane, fortunately I saw him coming.

If this is going to be a regular occurrence I'll go back to running winter tyres.

A young lad I know stuffed his Merc A class the other day making a completely unnecessary journey. 

I don't mind driving in the snow, you just have to plan ahead, slow right down before bends, at the top of hills etc.

I'd assume even though the 17's are useless that they actually have a legal amount of tread on them. As words fail me the amount of people who try and drive completely unsuitable vehicles (most bmw and mercs and/or rwd) And/or with completely bald/illegal tyres that might have just barely passed the last mot. And because modern vehicles are all about saving fuel, whenever you lift off the engine drops straight to idle, giving you zero engine braking.

#6 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:17 PM

I'd assume even though the 17's are useless that they actually have a legal amount of tread on them. As words fail me the amount of people who try and drive completely unsuitable vehicles (most bmw and mercs and/or rwd) And/or with completely bald/illegal tyres that might have just barely passed the last mot. And because modern vehicles are all about saving fuel, whenever you lift off the engine drops straight to idle, giving you zero engine braking.

Yeah, plenty of tread on them.

I could dig the Mazda out, its got narrower 16s on, it's probably heavier too

#7 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:28 PM

I'm fine with driving in the snow. It's others I'm not fine wirh, so tend to avoid it if I can. Had some douche in a Passat tailgate me all the way home yesterday in the snow. It's a miracle he didn't smash into me.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:53 PM

The problems with driving in snow in Britain is more complicated than that

We can't afford the level of snow clearing equipment the Scandinavian countries,

err i would say the UK has way more per 1000 cars (pick a number it dont matter) than most scandi counties as they dont clear the snow. they just make sure you can get onto the road and drive. in your car that has to be fitted with suitable winter tyres. yes you have two sets of wheels. yes motorways and main roads are cleared to a greater level. yep i lived there for a few years

https://youtu.be/6vKngYjiYkQ

#9 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:49 PM

I feel so bad for my mini. It looks an absolute state from driving it most of the day and all that salt being sprayed on it but was bloody fun, not being stupid though like some out there! 

#10 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:09 PM

Snow? that's why I moved to California. I whine if the Temp. drops below 50f.................................

I did drive to Washington to pick up mini parts in a blizzard with the XJ8 and it was great fun, but as stated It's the other other numpties on the road with their BMW/Range Rovers who think that the laws of physics don't apply to them...................................

Attached File  IMG_0853.JPG   71.53K   0 downloads

Edited by minimans, 28 February 2018 - 08:13 PM.

#11 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:08 PM

Im stuffed 3 litre auto bmw I cant get off the drive way slope and mini cant get out of the garage due to another slight incline. Im a pedestrian now which is fine.

#12 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:09 PM

Whats with the BMW bashing? I used to drive a 528i Touring with 16s and Blizzaks in the snow in Aberdeenshire each year and watched plenty of fannies in suitable cars as you would have it go off the road.... you need the right gear and the right idea.
I have changed to winter tyres every year for the last 20odd years and yes most years I dont need them but I also know how to drive according to the conditions. My modern BMW has all the fuel saving devices but I also know how to set it up for the conditions I have....I live at the top of a hill and we currently have about 9 inches of snow but I managed to get home without any drama.
Oh and my current winter tyres are 17s as if that generalisation means anything.

FS

Edited by FlyingScot, 28 February 2018 - 11:11 PM.
Toned down

#13 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:04 AM

It's not the BMWs, it's the BMW drivers :-D

#14 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:29 AM

Theres a polish bloke at work who has a 30 year Peugeot 205. Hes used to snow and puts winter tyres on it. It out performs most 4x4s up here on Exmoor. The secret is the right tyres I reckon.

#15 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:52 AM

4x4 is a mixed blessing, plenty have no real off road capability (save maybe on a beach) and as you say tyres are everything when it matters, (virtually) all cars have 4 wheels with brakes. The trick's not to put yourself in a situation that's beyond the brakes and rubber and quite a few let their 4x4 overestimate it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users