33 replies to this topic

#31 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:15 AM

Just seen some picture of the snow in England... Looks like where I am, before the snow! 😂
It is better to have new summer tyres than worn out winter tyres. And to add on that, most people call them snow tyres but they should be called winter tyres, as the rubber is harder on summer tyres and becomes hard like stone in low temperatures.
Over here we say that if the temperature goes below 10degC (averaged between lowest and highest) you should fit them, October to April more or less.
40cm here and lots of fun, apart from the idiots with 4 ton '4x4' in the middle of roundabouts... sideways... 🙄

Edited by MacGyver, 02 March 2018 - 09:19 AM.

#32 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:48 AM

My RAV4 with All Terrian Tyres out performs a lot of other 4x4s. Its meant to be a soft roader but it never fails to get me where I need to get, I put this down to the tyres. We have between 6 and 8ft snow drifts on Exmoor this morning right across the roads so I think its met its match today. Cant even get the snow plough up there yet.

#33 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:38 PM

My 18 year old Honda civic with its 14" narrow steel wheels seams to be out performing a lot of other peoples cars at work. We have a private road into work which is not gritted or cleared. I ended up overtaking one our managers in his BMW on the way out on Friday as he was sliding around all over the place.

Someone once told me the art of driving in snow/ice conditions is to drive smoothly not necessarily slowly. If you can avoid sudden movements such as turning sharply or braking then the car is less likely to loose traction and you can maintain control even a relatively high speeds which will help prevent you getting stuck on inclines.

#34 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:43 PM

Someone once told me the art of driving in snow/ice conditions is to drive smoothly not necessarily slowly. If you can avoid sudden movements such as turning sharply or braking then the car is less likely to loose traction and you can maintain control even a relatively high speeds which will help prevent you getting stuck on inclines.

exactly this. on Friday i was driving to work on roads that had mostly been ploughed on one side and were to the eye very bad! Despite this though there was actually a surprising amount of grip and i was safely able to travel at around 30mph most of the way and didn't have a single scary moment. It's a very hilly road with corners on the hills so you needed momentum to get up without spinning the tyres. That didn't stop the xc90 driver franticly waving at me to slow down though as he crawled along at 10 mph with a growing line of traffic behind him!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users