37 replies to this topic

#1 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:15 AM

Due to some very dangerous mounting points being used (parcel shelf, etc) here is a diagram showing you where you can fit harness straps. From this, the best place would be the original front seat belt mounts, the rear seat belt mounts, you can purchase special mounting plates from places like MiniSpares of DNS Classics.

One more thing, as yet, I can think of no safe way in which you can retain use of the rear seats for passengers if you have harnesses!

Posted Image

#2 smudger

smudger

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • Local Club: Lots

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:50 AM

I also use a Spreader Plate behind rear seat.

If you have a cage, get the bolts welded into that, that way the car/cage is the strength!

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:00 AM

Cheers Smudger. The mounting plates you can get from MiniSpares or DNS Classics have 2.5"x2.5" spreader plates with a nut welded to them.

And as smudger says, its a great idea to fit your harnesses to a rollcage. Harness bars can be bought from Safety Devices or MiniSport, or custom made from places like Roll Centre.

#4 lemmingzappa

lemmingzappa

Tubby White Ninja!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:51 PM

Just got myself a pair of 3 point harnesses, I know you're supposed to use a mounting plate at the rear but I dont understand how I can use it with these straps, as the metal bit on the end has a hole in them but with no eye/hook bolt ?

And im pretty sure its impossible to get a complete circle eyebolt into the hole :)

Posted Image

Edited by lemmingzappa, 29 November 2007 - 04:54 PM.

#5 lemmingzappa

lemmingzappa

Tubby White Ninja!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:53 PM

I did think I could use the standard bolt that comes with it, but that might be unstable and put pressure on the metal at an odd angle like that.

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:55 PM

Your meant to get an eyelet and mounting plate, you can get them from DSN Classics or Mini spares.

#7 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:55 PM

I fix my harness to the existing seatbelt captive nuts on the tunnel, side of the car, and the two at the rear.

#8 lemmingzappa

lemmingzappa

Tubby White Ninja!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:00 PM

I fix my harness to the existing seatbelt captive nuts on the tunnel, side of the car, and the two at the rear.

I have mounted the tunnel and side ones like this already, I just cant see where the rear ones are as the metal is covered in acoustic carpet...have you got a pic ?

and I know im supposed to use those plates jammy but I dont see how I can get the eyelet onto the harness strap.

#9 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:49 PM

Ah yes, I see now, theres no slidey catch like on other harnesses for you to clip it on to the eyelet... must just put the bolt through the hole them?! :)

#10 lemmingzappa

lemmingzappa

Tubby White Ninja!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:06 AM

Ah yes, I see now, theres no slidey catch like on other harnesses for you to clip it on to the eyelet... must just put the bolt through the hole them?! :ph34r:

yeah no slidey thing, will have to use bolt on it's own.

and what shall I do about plating, do I HAVE to weld those plates onto the back seat, or can I have them inside the boot "pulling" against the back of the rear seats.

#11 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:13 AM

You don't have to weld them in. In fact the ones DSN Classics do have a second smaller hole that allows you to bolt them to what either your mounting them against.

#12 sam_shelton

sam_shelton

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local Club: notts about minis

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:30 PM

Hi,
I have a 5 point luke harness for my mini which has a weldin cage. Can I wrap the rear harness round the diagonal on my roll cage. Does anyone have pics of this being done?
Thanks
Sam

#13 dave20046

dave20046

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:02 PM

Are harnesses much safer then normal seatbelts? And is it possible to have normal seatbelts with a bucket or is that just daft? I'm considering having a bucket with harnesses for my driver then a standard seat or a rover seat or something for the passenger. And then that should allow for a 2nd passenger to sit in the back (no one behind me) will that work?

#14 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:07 PM

I have mounted the tunnel and side ones like this already, I just cant see where the rear ones are as the metal is covered in acoustic carpet...have you got a pic ?

oops :) only just saw this :D

here you go :xxx: a bit of an old photo, but it shows you where it's bolted in

Posted Image

Edited by DJH MINI MOTORSPORT, 20 January 2008 - 08:08 PM.

#15 Puddings

Puddings

Nurburgring Master

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Local Club: fabmoc/TMF

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:09 PM

might look strange just one bucket seat :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users