18 replies to this topic

#1 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:49 PM

So Ive been trying to make my mini look half decent ready for summer, the previous owner had done a pretty awful paint job which Ive managed to flat and get some sort of shine from however the roof I just couldnt get to look nice.
Having flicked through the web I thought maybe if I wrapped it black Id be happy...
Well... I just dont know if Im feeling it... its got a few creases which arent the end of the world but i just think it looks a bit tacky... would love to get your opinions
I know ultimately its my choice but Id like to know how you all feel about wraps

Attached File  BDA1F1A6-C5B6-4D14-9F0D-4F874365AA7D.jpeg   56.55K   21 downloads

#2 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:55 PM

This is the sort of look Im going for maybe with the roof rack but that undecided

Attached File  E4AAC2FF-EB57-4E6E-9841-2398A07DB707.jpeg   60.31K   7 downloads

#3 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:33 PM

i think the black roof suits it, but my personal opinion of vinyl wraps.......I just don't get it I'm afraid.

I understand not everyone has the space or equipment to do paint, or they may not be amazing with the spray gun, but. you could paint that roof with gloss black rattle cans with a little time and effort, and you can soon polish it back up by hand if you don't have a mop. then you would be wrinkle free.

just my opinion though.

#4 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:36 PM

I like it. Overall im not a fan of wraps on minis but for just a roof I wouldnt have an issue. The edging trim covers the change. 

Suits your car i say

#5 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:40 PM

i think the black roof suits it, but my personal opinion of vinyl wraps.......I just don't get it I'm afraid.

I understand not everyone has the space or equipment to do paint, or they may not be amazing with the spray gun, but. you could paint that roof with gloss black rattle cans with a little time and effort, and you can soon polish it back up by hand if you don't have a mop. then you would be wrinkle free.

just my opinion though.

You know what I’m debating just that... the wrap finish although shiney is kind of plastic which I guess makes sense.
I’ll see how I feel in the morning but it may end up being a trip to halfrauds for some black paint
Would satin black give me a better effect?
I want that sort of vw look.. not rat but kinda grubby/not perfect patina they seem to get

#6 Lord Oversill

Lord Oversill

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:13 AM

Maybe if you go with the roof rack , especially the older retro types. The supports on some contact the roof, perhaps adding more future wrinkles in the wrap?
Think the paint option sounds better long term.
I like the gloss black roof, it sits well with your main colour.

#7 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:17 AM

Looks good, I'd leave it as is if was me

#8 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:45 AM

I do like the yellow black combo. Im not a massive fan of yellow but this was the most solid best mini I could afford so Ive grown to like it
To be honest the wrap photos better than it looks in person so I think Im gonna spend the weekend painting the roof black.

Gloss or satin? It will be a rattle can job so whats easier to get a nice uniform finish with

#9 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:22 AM

Rattle cans would do the job if you have lots of patience but I would avoid it on such a large panel.

What's a decent rattle can these days, £12? Say you use 6, that's £72 and that still won't give you enough material to polish back well.

Providing the roof is sound, I would suggest leaving the yellow or leaving the wrap and save up for a respray but obviously, it's up to you :-)

Have an ask around local bodyshops, You might be surprised at the price of painting just a roof black. It may not be as much as you expect

#10 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:33 AM

Rattle cans would do the job if you have lots of patience but I would avoid it on such a large panel.

What's a decent rattle can these days, £12? Say you use 6, that's £72 and that still won't give you enough material to polish back well.

Providing the roof is sound, I would suggest leaving the yellow or leaving the wrap and save up for a respray but obviously, it's up to you :-)

Have an ask around local bodyshops, You might be surprised at the price of painting just a roof black. It may not be as much as you expect

I’ve just been out to the garage and yeah the wrap looks awful so that’s coming straight off!
Turns out my girlfriend of 8 years has just told me she has a uncle who sprays cars and lives about 4 miles away... SHE COULD HAVE SAID SOONER!!!! Women....
Gonna contact him and have a chat.
I dunno if this is another one of my stupid questions but for little paint repair (where the bonnet safety hook hits the grill area I’ve been using Halfords rover primula paint. There’s a few bits I want to do but my local Halfords have no rover primula... the ford Daytona yellow looks the same to me would this be close enough for just a few touch ups ??

#11 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:10 AM

To be honest yellow is awkward to match at the best of times. But for touch ups your just going to have to get the best match you ca find

#12 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

I vote for a vinyl roof. It doesn't wrinkle, costs 70£ and has an amazing touch of class! ;)

#13 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:07 PM

Have you got any automotive paint suppliers near you?

Halfords is ok but a proper paint supplier will have everything you need at a better price and will be able to mix cans of paint to match what you have.

If it's for touch-ups, you could have, say a 10th of solid mixed up and get a small tin of fast hardener to go with it. You can then mix up very small quantities at home and touch things in with a small artist brush.

That would be more cost effective than rattle cans if you aren't going to be actually spraying the colour

#14 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:14 PM

My local Bitec will custom mix any colour into a rattle can and it's very good paint, a few coats and it cuts back to a lovely finish . About £13 a can but it goes a fair way. I did a front wing and rear 1/4 repair on a metro and it was barely visible after a cut and polish. I don't think I'd do a whole roof in it, as said, body shop probably wouldn't charge a lot

Merv

#15 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:17 PM

For anyone reading this in years to come
(I often find myself reading posts from the mid 00s to get answers) if youre thinking of wrapping your roof. DONT
I used decent quality Avery professional gloss black wrap which wasnt cheap and dont get me wrong the application wasnt too bad and it is very forgiving in terms of being able to lift/stretch it and reapply several times. the actual finish I personally think was naff... imagine glossy wrapping paper, it just didnt look like a quality finish at all.
It photographed a LOT better than it looked in person... came off easy enough which was good...

Sticking with my yellow patch roof for now until I hear from my girlfriends uncle, fingers crossed he will be my knight in painted armour.

As always thanks everyone for your input! One day Ill have some knowledge of my own to share!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users