Photo

Are 1.5 Roller Rockers Worth Fitting To Standard Spi Engine?

Best Answer brivinci , 13 March 2018 - 06:23 PM

I know. Something I always try (try being the key word here) is hold off on mods for a bit, especially if you just put the car back on the road. Heres and example:

I am currently finishing up a resto on a Daimler Sp250. A car my father has owned since I was a baby. We are VERY excited to say the least. We were talking with some club members and they all said that a 5spd sway and steering swap are a must if you really want to drive the car and enjoy it. That is our plan, to drive it...as much as possible BUT I decided against those mods right now. I want to get behind the wheel of this car and get to know it. If that means its short comings, so be it. That way, when I drop a bucket of cash and time on actually doing these mods, I will REALLY feel the difference. If you do everything all at once, you sometimes don't really get the full value of it. It just becomes the car and not the car with fancy new bits. 

Long story short, get out there and rag that mini out. Put some serious miles under your feet so that when the time comes to improve, you really feel them.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:24 AM

Hi,

I have a pretty much bog standard J-spec SPi which is slowly but surely coming back from the grave via a full restoration. The standard engine is back in and running nicely with the addition of an SC stainless LCB (Lambda in the Y), Fletcher side back, and a K&N filter (in the standard air box).

I'm not really wanting to get too far from standard but 1.5 Roller Rockers (which a few of the usual supplier suspects seem to sell) look to be an ok and straightforward engine mod, even for a standard 1275 SPi setup.

Are they really as easy as the suppliers say they are to fit? Any snafus to look out for during fitting? Do they make a worth while power difference? Would fitting it accelerate engine wear, mines done 65k miles.

Any hints and tips gladly received. Thanks all!

#2 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:01 PM

They are not difficult to install and are common additions because they are in fact "bolt on" performance. How much performance you are getting, I have no idea BUT the idea is that these bolt on rather then having to pull the motor and do a cam. Tuners like John Cooper Garages had these included in their "Si" kits for hat reason. They would replace the head and do rockers as a way of getting a bit more lift on the standard cam. Honestly, I'd say save your pennies for a proper head if you are looking to actually feel a noticeable difference in performance. Money better spent. 

#3 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:40 PM

Thanks fella. The min has been so much of a money pit already the cost of the roller rockers seems not so painful but your thoughts on the head make sense. I'm not really after pushing the power envelope just squeezing a bit more as easily as I can. Changing the head now after its in the bay with all the additional air con config gubbins in the way isn't top of my list ...but i may change my mind. Thanks again!

Edited by Pops_Guild, 13 March 2018 - 05:38 PM.

#4 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:23 PM   Best Answer

I know. Something I always try (try being the key word here) is hold off on mods for a bit, especially if you just put the car back on the road. Heres and example:

I am currently finishing up a resto on a Daimler Sp250. A car my father has owned since I was a baby. We are VERY excited to say the least. We were talking with some club members and they all said that a 5spd sway and steering swap are a must if you really want to drive the car and enjoy it. That is our plan, to drive it...as much as possible BUT I decided against those mods right now. I want to get behind the wheel of this car and get to know it. If that means its short comings, so be it. That way, when I drop a bucket of cash and time on actually doing these mods, I will REALLY feel the difference. If you do everything all at once, you sometimes don't really get the full value of it. It just becomes the car and not the car with fancy new bits. 

Long story short, get out there and rag that mini out. Put some serious miles under your feet so that when the time comes to improve, you really feel them.

#5 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the wise words...makes sense...i was getting bored of throwing money at it anyway 😃

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users