64 replies to this topic

#31 Neuraminidaze

Neuraminidaze

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:43 PM

I'm talking to the real mini company in Oxford at the moment. They do an interest free payment plan so it's looking like a good option. I do have a drive way but I just don't have the time at the moment to dedicate. I'll keep you guys posted about what they say.

Once my mini is up and running, i plan to do the odd jobs here and there so will start collecting the tools bit by bit.

Mr Boycie, reading your story gives me a lot hope. Thanks for sharing.

Have you guys dealt with the real mini company before? Are they good? They've been very helpful and understanding so far.

#32 Neuraminidaze

Neuraminidaze

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:45 PM

Sorry Mr Phillrulz! Just getting the hang of the forum. Never been on a forum before 🤓

Edited by Neuraminidaze, 13 March 2018 - 10:45 PM.

#33 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:23 PM

Before getting carried away with getting a 'cheap' 998 engine, it's an mpi block you need, which go for rather a premium now a days! Swapping an mpi unit isn't impossible for a beginner, just make sure you read up on all the work needed.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

You can get new mpi short blocks from minispares, but if I recall some aren't a straight fit, think I remember seeing the car kitchen on Facebook having a few issues with them.

Edited by Midas Mk1, 13 March 2018 - 11:24 PM.

#34 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:31 PM

Ouch - bad luck OP... have to wonder why the car was affordable - and doubt whether owner would have given it the beans on test drive!!.....but fair play that you're determined to stick with it - my bet is engine may be salvagable - complete rebuild rebore etc obviously - and at over 80k anyway it's best days before full overhaul were behind it ...think the bores and crank will need some fettling as the latter will have taken one hell of a shock load... Gearboxes are pretty robust and even that one could -at most optimistic, be rebuilt into a new / donor case. 

But as to replacement - If its an MPI then you seem to be in luck - prices for 2nd hand units have yet to go stupid.....

To all those reccommending DIY this is a '97 car so an injection beastie - not the easiest for a self confessed newbie....

#35 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:17 AM

Before getting carried away with getting a 'cheap' 998 engine, it's an mpi block you need, which go for rather a premium now a days! Swapping an mpi unit isn't impossible for a beginner, just make sure you read up on all the work needed.

With that twist on things, Id say it becomes significantly less beginner friendly unless swapping like-for-like, so scrap the cheapncheerful idea!

A used MPi engine will be pricey in comparison (last few Ive seen have sold for £600-800+), a crate replacement somewhat more and a rebuild probably somewhere around the same.

Sorry to say that unless you get lucky and source a cheap replacement you may have a significant repair bill.

But nothing is impossible! If you have time just keep your eyes peeled and start preparing, the more work you can do yourself the lower the total bill will be.

Edit:
OP has said the garage has sourced an engine so a moot point anyway.

Edited by Icey, 14 March 2018 - 12:22 AM.

#36 Neuraminidaze

Neuraminidaze

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for your help guys! Much appreciated.

Edited by Neuraminidaze, 14 March 2018 - 01:49 PM.

#37 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:07 PM

I still can't believe you took it home.

6 miles out from the sellers house?? I'd of walked there and got my money back.

100% they knew something was up with it, very rare for such catastrophic damage to just magically happen once you've got 5 minutes away.

Edited by r3k1355, 14 March 2018 - 02:07 PM.

#38 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:49 PM

It is very unlikely that block is FUBAR. Best thing to do is to get it completely stripped down and closely inspected. It may need a crankshaft and a con rod. If the bore is damaged it might need a repair. It will need a re-bore and a set of pistons.
If you want me to take a look PM me. I am near Huntingdon.

#39 TobyM2018

TobyM2018

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:01 PM

Arggg... feel sorry for the OP.

Awesome too see so many people offering to help though. There is always hope!

#40 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

It is very unlikely that block is FUBAR. Best thing to do is to get it completely stripped down and closely inspected. It may need a crankshaft and a con rod. If the bore is damaged it might need a repair. It will need a re-bore and a set of pistons.

This thread is freaky, OP lives less than 5 miles from me, and i work in Swavesey... few miles from you! 

#41 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:53 PM

This thread is freaky, OP lives less than 5 miles from me, and i work in Swavesey... few miles from you! 

My parents live in Swavesey  and I am always up there!  Where do you work?  MG owners Club ;D

#42 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:01 PM

Actually I am in Earith which is even nearer Swavesey.

#43 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:10 PM

My parents live in Swavesey  and I am always up there!  Where do you work?  MG owners Club ;D

Actually I am in Earith which is even nearer Swavesey.

My work is on buckingway business park so right on the traffic jam known as the A14 

#44 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

I know the place well as I recently got some cable guide rollers for a glider winch case hardened at Wallworks. 

If the OP could get his engine to you and if you could bring the engine, less the gearbox, to your work I would be happy to collect it, bring it home and inspect it in my workshop. I guess we need to take this 'off forum' and into PM's if necessary.

#45 Neuraminidaze

Neuraminidaze

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:28 PM

Thanks guys! The car's with the garage at the moment. I'm waiting for an update. The work hasn't started yet so the engine is still in the car. Once I know more, I'll dm you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users