9 replies to this topic

#1 Hindy

Hindy

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:49 PM

Bit of a strange question really (Might not be in the right place) 

I had a weird thought the other day.....

would it be possible to lend a local college my mini for them to restore as part of their training, and then get it back all complete. 

#2 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:55 PM

you need to ask them....

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:15 PM

As I mentioned on another thread, the local school are going to rebuild my 850 engine.

The catch is I am doing the teaching and paying for all the parts.

It will be done by a new after-school small club that we are starting with about 6 to 8 members.

#4 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:35 PM

As I mentioned on another thread, the local school are going to rebuild my 850 engine.

The catch is I am doing the teaching and paying for all the parts.

It will be done by a new after-school small club that we are starting with about 6 to 8 members.

what a great thing to do to try and encourage youngsters into engineering or at least do something practial

A friend of mine had his Porsche resprayed by a college an they did a great job - this was more than 25 years ago when you could pick up an old 911 for sensible money

Edited by JDImini, 13 March 2018 - 09:41 PM.

#5 Hindy

Hindy

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:48 AM

I have emailed my local college, so will wait and see what they say. Be good for someone to make use of it as i cant see me having any time spare in the near future. 

#6 Jeep2003

Jeep2003

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:33 PM

There is a trade school by me where high school kids go for the day and learn different things. they have carpentry, masonry, welding, body shop, mechanics, heavy equipment. And in the body and mechanics shop thats all they do is restore peoples cars and work on students cars. There must be something like that in your area. 

#7 YJO

YJO

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:13 PM

Definitely worth asking, and maybe better than a kids evening group which can be 50/50 cheap baby sitting for the parents. I helped out with a group for a number of years which overall was rewarding ,as its scary the number of kids around now who are itching to do things mechanical have no opportunity, amongst other tasks the kids helped maintain a low level historical touring car and were rewarded with being pit crew for a day.

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:21 PM

The way some 'grown ups' criticise the young people these days really upsets me.

I come into contact with a lot of youngsters aged from about 14 to 18. They are students from our local school who have been successful in their application for a Gliding -Scholarship at the gliding club I help run. We take 6 every year for training up to and including flying solo and this is at no cost to them.

They have to compete for a place, but what a super lot of youngsters they really are. Full of fun and interest in flying, they not only learn to fly, but to drive our Land Rovers on the active airfield, launch gliders, keep the flight log as required by law, learn how to service the ground equipment including the Land-Rovers, tractors, winches and trailers. they work on the routine maintenance of the club gliders and also work with members like me on our privately-owned gliders.

I have a share in a vintage training glider, a T21b, and I love to take them for open gliding experience flights in it on warm sunny days.

New we are starting the engine-building club at the same school and there is a lot of enthusiasm for this as well.

#9 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

Interesting idea. I might look into that as well! I have a mini that needs welding but cant afford to have it done yet. Good idea.

I like the idea of helping the kids out as well. Worthwhile projects definitely. Unfortunately, the majority of kids wont learn this stuff with their dads anymore as people dont do their own car repairs / servicing. Same with bikes really, a lot of people take them into the cycle stores to be done.

#10 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:13 PM

It all depends on the school too.
I've seen superb work by people my age. Some youngsters really have a passion, and their passion and determination is worth a lot more than some people who have 30 years of 'experience' who're stuck in their routine and think they know all because they're aged. Like a good wine, you can age good and bad. ;)

But, I also got a friend who's car came back in worse shape than when he brought it there. Then again, the teachers weren't the brightest either in that institution..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users