3 replies to this topic

#1 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:50 PM

I've bought a replacement dash for my project as the original seemed in a bit of a sorry state, was poorly wrapped with black vinyl, and underneath that it seemed to have been painted red. Upon removing the bulk of the vinyl, I can see it looks original and actually in good nick, as if the top layer of laminate is red (rather than walnut laminate etc). Would this have been original to any particular model of mini? I assumed all MPI ones were walnut, unless they were turned alloy etc. Oddly the glove box lid and the 3 dial binnacle seem to have been coated with some sort of black matte/rough coating, which spoils the rest.

I don't have a piccy at the moment but will post one up when I can.

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,893 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:16 PM

Last of the Coopers and some se7ens had a body coloured dash. This was usually just a painted walnut dash. Underneath the late cooper sports alloy dashes is a walnut dash, the alloy is merely a cover.

#3 Eds.mini.lulu

Eds.mini.lulu

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:16 PM

i believe the cooper classics or cooper sevens had body coloured dashboard, im sure someone else can confirm, these cars where sold along side the cooper S which had the turned alloy dash etc circa 1996on

#4 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:05 PM

Hmm, interesting. I have a feeling this dash was added when a previous owner wanted to make it into a sports pack look-alike, as it also has the three clock holes drilled (albeit the centre clock is larger). This is a 96 car (97 model year) so too early for the body colour types I suppose, unless it was retrofitted. I was quite impressed at the quality of the main red part underneath the VERY stuck vinyl, once peeled away.

I guess I'll tidy it up, remove all the bits of vinyl and offer it up on the classifieds, rather than take it to the tip. Thanks for the replies chaps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users