#1 Newtfish

Newtfish

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:35 AM

Hey everyone.

Very quick question. Let's say you see a mini sat on a driveway in your area. You know it's been sat for years and you want it.

How would you approach this? And what would you offer?

Thanks
Danny

#2 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:43 AM

Knock on their door and talk to them.

What you offer is upto you and totally dependant on condition, could be worth jack-all if it's full of holes and the engines already gone.

#3 Milton

Milton

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local Club: what no brakes

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:43 AM

Knock on the door and ask if they want to sell it. If they say yes then ask how much. Always find the straight approach best.

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:42 AM

Three things that I have always done when buying something.

BEFORE you do anything, make the decision about how much you really want it in terms of £-s-d, knowing that you are buying a pig-in-a-poke with no redress from the seller.

BEFORE you talk to the prospective seller, write the £-s-d on the palm of your left hand and don't ignore it.

BEFORE you shake on the deal, know that the seller is the legal owner.

If you get the chance to inspect the item, you can change the £-s-d, but still do those three things.

#5 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:22 PM

Most of the time the cars rotting on driveways have deluded owners that can't admit that they'll never restore it or they think it's worth millions, either way it slowly rots into the weeds.

#6 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:04 PM

I knocked a door of a gentleman who had two rather dilapidated clubman on his drive and he said he was restoring them. Fair enough I didn't want to be pushy. The following month both had been stihlsawed in half and were awaiting the tat man. Go figure

Merv

#7 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

Disagree  with Pete ... a bit! We live in a materialistic society now where a shiny new monstrosity is misguidedly aspired to by most.....

A way of dealing with this that's been very successful for me over the years - my best result being a slightly mossy alfa...£100 - five years and over 100K later sold with a blown turbo for £500 :-) anyway I digress....

1. Scrub yourself and look presentable

2. Wait until sunny daylight hours - never after dark, before 10am or after 7pm - avoid mealtimes  (if signs of kids wait until a weekend - and if possible turn up with your own well behaved offspring in tow - drilled not to say anything contraversial l!!)- people are far more amenable to chatting then...(I turn up on my pushbike invariably looking a bit warm - more shortly...)

3. Respect and fellow feeling are the key - muster every bit of politeness you can and don't ramp the kerb blocking their driveway when you turn up

4. Do NOT lead with "is your car for sale mate?" - a few seconds of complimentary preamble goes a long way...

5. Rapport is everything - think on your feet - if you're presented with a pensioner it's likely they have an attachment to it - spelling out that you want something to restore to it's former glories and that theirs looks an ideal candidate gets you a long way - DON'T come across as if you want a spares donor or stuff it on the grasstrack.....and certainly don't go pointing faults with it....yet...

6. If the "Mrs" is in or initially answers the door then you're looking hopeful - invariably the better sex wants their abode looking presentable - a rusting wreck outside doesn't acheive that....

7. Wait for owner to cite a price - don't offer first unless asked directly - if so offer a realistic amount having looked it over (I've come away with free cars I was perfectly prepared to pay for - and on principle will ask owner in such circumstance what they drink - and later deposit their favourite tipple... that pays dividends too - they may have forgotten spares or documents /  mates in similar positions - or if you're really lucky something else !round the back" or in the garage works really well on rural folk :-) )

8. Take no as maybe, take knockbacks with good grace - but either depart leaving your number or with a throwaway "hope you don't mind me asking again"........- the seed has been planted.....go back in a few months

& 9.. coming back to earlier point - arriving, flushed - on a bike often gets you a drink to prolong the conversation....( a bike the best "hunting tool" too :-)

As an inveterate door knocking womble - even turning on the charm and following the above only achieves initial success of 20%.....but when you get a win ... :-)... unfortunately as mini's are "one of the family"  you have to work really hard to get them!

Do this in my patch and I'll break your legs! ;-)

Edited by wile e coyote, 15 March 2018 - 02:32 PM.

#8 IvorBiota

IvorBiota

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

Check the reg. no. and MOT history on the DVLA vehicle tax check website so you get an idea of its history. Then decide if you still want it

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:44 PM

also if you have an idea of what you want to pay. take cash as it can be a nice aide to get them to part with something they will never actually get around to doing anything with.

I picked up the COX for 80 quid.

#10 Newtfish

Newtfish

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for all the advice and replies people 🙂
Will take all this on board. Good idea about checking the history! Will be walking past it again on my way home from work, so woll get the reg playe then. This is the hardest thing about it, having to see it every day!

Thanks
Danny

#11 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:53 PM

mines like that, sitting on the front and aint moved all year or 4 now, won't sell it less I get 7/8 grand I think, but that's cheap.

#12 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:25 PM

I'm going to go against the grain and suggest popping a hand written note through the door with your interest and telephone number.

I have come across people in the past that don't like to be bothered or put on the spot by someone offering to but their property out of the blue.

This way, they can have time to themselves to consider the idea of selling and call you if they decide to.

#13 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:22 PM

I have bought a few minis by knocking doors and trying my luck.

equaly though I have been met by the pre-mentioned type of person who thinks its worth a fortune/are going to restore it one day. (the car sits there for a further 10 years dying a slow painfull death, before being scrapped in the end once its beyond repair.

as other said, just be polite, don't turn up looking like a pikey/chav/thief/car dealer etc.

#14 Aaron3

Aaron3

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Local Club: Sunmc

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:54 PM

Last year I got my hands on a series 2 Land Rover, I typed up a letter stating interest in the car and any plans for it and ending the letter with contact details. I had the phone call the same evening as posting the letter saying come and collect it for X amount. I find this method less controversial and shows you have taken time to type and print a letter with genuine interest, it also gives time for their mind to ponder without being put on the spot.

#15 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:42 PM

think I'll let mine be scrapped as only a cooper 2000 plate as mates got a copper 500 2001 plate and that will go the same way as his 1663 850cc seven, people think they can get em for 50 quid ya just fall out of love with me and get an Audi or BMW

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users