Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

Advise needed
Putting new front end on,
Front panel
Wings
A panel
Full scuttle panel
Half inner wings
Now the question is in which order at the moment we have cut the scuttle of and lined up the inner wings are cut off just in front of shocker mounts all cleaned up ,subframe as been shot blast zinc coated and powder coated ,in which order and best to line up ,
Thanks in advance
Daz

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:05 AM

Put the front tear drops on and loosely fit front panel.

Doors on?? If not fit them. Now assemble everything until you have a good fit. Don’t forget the bonnet as well. By assemble I mean either pin or clamp in place. Trim, adjust as required until you have decent door and bonnet gaps.

Now depending on how you are going to attach the panels either plug or spot weld prep all of the mounting surfaces will Zinc rich weld through primer.

BUT before all of this what manufacturer or panels are you using?? Magnum you need to strip off ALL of the grey primer. Now replace with Epoxy primer. If Heritage thoroughly check for spider tracks of rust, I normally sand right back and Epoxy prime.

Doing all of this before fitting makes life so much easier.

#3 Daz2018

Daz2018

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

Cheers for reply
I've got heritage full scuttle and rest are magnum panels would you fit inner half wing after to line up or before

#4 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:57 AM

I do it in this order.

Bolt in the subframe using the toeboard mounts and tower mounts

Pin or screw the inner wing repair panels into place. Just a few though so the can be moved if needs be.

Bolt the front panel to the front of the subframe using the teardrop mounts

Clamp on the scuttle

Clamp on the wings and then try the bonnet.

You may find that you will need to move the inner repair panels backwards or forwards  but if you have fixed them using the upper shock mounts, they should be pretty close. If the wing sits nicely to the scuttle end and follows the curve of the inner wing at the front snugly, then you have it about right.

The other thing you may find is that the front panel needs to come forward. You can do this with shims between the front panel and the subframe at the mounting points (teardrops)

This doesn't happen everytime however

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:45 PM

Have you taken the inner wings off at this point in time??? if not then take a few baseline measurements which is what i did on my clubby. Makes life a bit easier. Then remove. Do not rely on the shock mount holes being an ideal indicator. They do help but not ideal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users