24 replies to this topic

#16 Wim Fournier

Wim Fournier

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:46 PM

Rattle comes from the drop gear in the transfer case. That was reason to sell / you could buy the car.

Edited by Wim Fournier, 20 March 2018 - 04:47 PM.

#17 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:17 PM

no sound recording?

#18 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:19 PM

I can get one, but want to change the oil and needles before running it again to make sure I don't do any damage if the oil has got some fuel in it from running too rich

#19 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:11 PM

Ok done the oil tonight after work and replaced a wheel stud whilst I was at it that landed in the post today, no needles though so haven't run it yet, however I did put it up on axle stands and get underneath it to have a look.

The bracket from the exhaust to the gearbox was flapping around, so that could have been rattling around tho I doubt it would stop when drive was added. Ack with the throttle or the clutch dipped.

Also the rod change seems to have a lot of play, I've taken a video of it

https://youtu.be/YV1fBhtfRmk

Now that noise is really similar to the noise I get when driving only at a far greater frequency. Is this level of free play too much?

#20 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:43 PM

Back to Ethel's suggestion about ignition. Are you running with or without vacuum advance, and what is the timing set at?

I've never run twin HS4s, but AAK needle looks much too weak for comfort.

The AAA recommended by Minispares is very similar to the old '7' profile, which was the factory 'starting point' needle when using twin HS4 carbs.

#21 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:06 PM

Vac advance connected, set at 12deg advance with lumenition ignition. When I set the timing I did it by ear first then checked it with timing gun, when set by ear it'll run 28deg advance at 1200rpm but I'm not comfy running it there, it wasn't pinking at that though.

I set it with the gun at 12 as that's what Alison state as max advance for the dizzy.

#22 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:14 PM

12 degrees static advance at the crank would be about right. 10 degrees would be better as the Aldon yellow should have 12 deg mechanical advance so 10 + (12 x 2) = 34 degrees maximum total mechanical advance at the crank.

12 degrees with a timing gun sounds like you might be running with retarded ignition timing - is that with/without advance can connected?

#23 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:27 PM

Timed with the advance disconnected and blocked. The timing gun is one with the advance knob on the back, the pulley and timing cover only have tdc marked, timing gun set to 12 and tdc marks line up.

The timing isn't retarded as one issue is the car isn't really getting to a decent running temp

#24 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:00 PM

a tale of an annoying rattle i had.

Like you it was only as you came of the power. it sounded like it was coming from the gear box. could not work it out so decision made to pull engine and split it. as i was undoing the rear gear linkage mount found some lose nuts. re tightened every thing and started it up- noise gone. 

#25 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:58 PM

The old alloy remote gearlever set-up can also give really annoying rattle when coming off power...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users