#1 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:47 PM

Hi folks

I'm drawing a bit of a blank looking for a well recommended stockist of wheels and tyres that will supply the tyres fitted to the rims and balanced.

minispares and bullmotif, my usual favourites, cannot help as they do not offer this service.

I'm wary of using huddersfield or minisport as they get a bad press (and the sizes I want at MS are all out of stock anyway)

Where else should I look? I'm after 4.5x10 or 5x10 with yokohama A008.

I could go the longer route of asking a local tyre place to fit and balance but then the risk of damaging the rims during fitting is on me, not the supplier...

any thoughts?

many thanks

#2 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:51 PM

They get mixed reviews, but I had a set of 4.5x10 cooper S offset Minilite replicas from John Brown Wheels. Nice wheels, appear to be well finished. Good price, including 008's. Only glitch is one of the stick-on balancing weights fell off, but I did have them stacked in a cold/damp garage for a while.

http://www.johnbrownwheels.com/

#3 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:20 AM

I'd say the risk of damage during fitting is the problem of the wheel shop, not you. 

You could also get the wheels from a mini shop and order the tyres from a tyre shop? They might be more likely to take care of your wheels if they get paid for tyres and fitting rather than just the fitting cost. 

#4 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:46 AM

I got my beautiful  alloy Dunlop  D1"s from JBW and am very pleased with them.

I got tyres swapped off my old rims at local indie tyre shop and the  manager who has been changing tyres all his working life  said he would only accept the job if he did it  himself and he would take great care but....... was worried his machine  might damage them being so small a rim  and would only do the job if I accepted the risk.

As it turned out there was no problem at all but he was very concerned of possible damage being such a small diameter  rim ....as he's a classic car buff himself.

So my advice would be to go to a local well established independent  tyre fitting shop and have a conversation - not the aussie equivalent of Quick Fit (with all due respect to them)

Matt - brighton (uk)

#5 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:08 AM

OP (in the UK) is looking for a full set with tyres, so surely it's easier and cheaper to just order the full set, including fitted tyres from JBW? My 'S' offset minilite (lookalikes) were under £400 with A008's, delivered. Can't really go wrong.

#6 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for your thoughts, JBW look like another good option.

I also appreciate the idea of buying the tyres elsewhere and having them fitted by the vendor. I hadn't really thought of that, but was being lazy looking to have them delivered ready to go.

Thanks all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users