_Ad_

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:15 PM

Hi,

I am attempting to get my Clubman running again after around 4 years of sitting, purely so that I can move house with it shortly prior to a full restoration.

I have found that the clutch pedal when pressed does not return, has no resistance and stays stuck to the floor until manually pulled back into position. The spring on the pedal box is intact. No obvious leaks from the cylinders, and the arm/throw-out nut are freely moving. When the pedal is pressed there is no movement of any components visible. I pulled the slave cylinder off and found that the piston could be easily pushed back, resulting in air being expelled through the cap on the master cylinder.

I have ordered a new cap to prevent any air entering. Is it as simple as bleeding the system, or will I need to replace the slave and/or master cylinder.

Car is a 1977 Mini Clubman, 998 A+ verto clutch (circa 1984 engine). Lockheed tin master cylinder.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Adam

#2 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:27 PM

Replace the rubber hose to the slave it may be plugged internally, and not allowing the return of fluid from the slave?

Doh just reread your post...............no movement of the clutch arm, yes try bleeding it first.

Edited by minimans, 19 March 2018 - 11:29 PM.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:36 PM

the pivot will have seized up give it a Lube. slacken the nut off  bit tap the axle through a smidge and get some spray lube on it and waggle till free. then tighten the nut up again.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:42 PM

the cap has a breather hole in it so nothing wrong with that. also check that the clevis pin is in place.

#5 _Ad_

_Ad_

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:50 PM

the pivot will have seized up give it a Lube. slacken the nut off  bit tap the axle through a smidge and get some spray lube on it and waggle till free. then tighten the nut up again.

Cheers both! I have already freed off the arm to the slave cylinder and the throw-out nut if that is what youre referring to? Ive never had a pedal that just sticks, I cant see bleeding solving it but will give it a go when I can get my dad around to give me a hand.

Edited by _Ad_, 19 March 2018 - 11:57 PM.

#6 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:37 AM

Lube the pedal pivot too so that it moves freely.....I'm betting you'll need a new slave at least.

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:00 AM

Cheers both! I have already freed off the arm to the slave cylinder and the throw-out nut if that is what youre referring to? Ive never had a pedal that just sticks, I cant see bleeding solving it but will give it a go when I can get my dad around to give me a hand.

i said pedal. it is a common issue with laid up cars.

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:00 AM

I'm with Nick, the pedal isn't connected to the master cylinder - it just pushes against the piston via the push rod, so there's nothing to hold it down .

#9 _Ad_

_Ad_

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:34 AM

Cheers all, Ill look at the pedal later on tonight and see if I can spot anything. Just seems odd that when it is pressed it does nothing to the cylinders. Think it could be a combination of things to be honest.

#10 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:32 PM

I'm thinking when you pressed it down the first time the master cylinder got jammed at the top ,,, and that is where it remains.

#11 _Ad_

_Ad_

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:15 PM

Good shout there, I will check the pedal and cylinder after work 👍🏻

#12 _Ad_

_Ad_

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:35 PM

Been to look at it: pedal spring is fine, clevis pin is in place, no visible leaks from the seal of the master cylinder, when the pedal is pressed the push rod moves up and you can hear fluid but no movement of the slave/pin. Pedal still sticks despite greasing all joints.

Master cylinder seized/failing? I cant think of what else it could be.

Thanks!

Edited by _Ad_, 20 March 2018 - 08:24 PM.

#13 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:12 PM

Been to look at it: pedal spring is fine, clevis pin is in place, no visible leaks from the seal of the master cylinder, when the pedal is pushed the piston moves up and you can hear fluid but no movement of the slave/pin. Pedal still sticks despite greasing all joints.

Master cylinder seized/failing? I cant think of what else it could be.

Thanks!

I'd say replace the cylinders and hose one by one so you know where the issue lies

#14 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:31 PM

If you cant see any leaks and all the clevis pins are in place I'd start by removing the metal pipe from the master cylinder, screw in a bleed nipple, carefully bleed the master, lock off the nipple and see if you get a solid pedal. If the masters good you'll only get a little bit of movement at the pedal due to free play in the pedal clevis pin.

#15 _Ad_

_Ad_

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:48 PM

If you cant see any leaks and all the clevis pins are in place I'd start by removing the metal pipe from the master cylinder, screw in a bleed nipple, carefully bleed the master, lock off the nipple and see if you get a solid pedal. If the masters good you'll only get a little bit of movement at the pedal due to free play in the pedal clevis pin.

Clever idea! Will give it a go

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users