18 replies to this topic

#1 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:11 AM

I knew the sill was rusty but i did not know it was this bad. Whilst removing the cat i knocked the rust spot with my hammer ever so slightly and created a bit of a hole.

My MOT is due in April which i know it will fail in its current state. I wasnt preparing to restore the mini yet, that was meant to be the back end of the year. 

What are my options and what is the best solution??

8xGo1TDl.jpg wcE9u4hl.jpg 45i8xqEl.jpg f0d4fnal.jpg

#2 Marco1972

Marco1972

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:09 AM

That needs to come off
It will be far worse underneath rust starts from the inside and works its way out
Chop it off repair whatever needs doing to the inner sill , jacking point and fit the correct fluted outer sill
Lots of examples of this on this forum

Mark

#3 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:10 AM

Options are quite a lot, from a big tin of underseal and crossing your fingers, to a full sill replacement , which is probably going to end up being many many hours of chasing rust. The rear edge doesn't look too clever.

MOT legal fix would be to find solid metal and patch over it with a plate continuously seam welded over any holes. It's not the best option, and no doubt would get frowned upon on here, but would get through MOT. Most of the minis on the road today would've had this kind of repair in the past to keep them going.

Merv

#4 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:26 AM

I think you would be hard pressed to patch it to be honest. Finding some good metal to go back to will take some doing. In reality the only option I can see is to replace the sill.

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,897 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:18 AM

Replacement is the only way to go. Judging by the pictures it’s had some repairs already so better to go for full replacement now. I’m sure there will be some inner sill work as well so be prepared for that.

#6 ings

ings

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:34 AM

looks like oversills. prepare yourself for a lot of rust.

Remove your carpet, remove all the sound insulating stuff and you will find a lot of holes there...

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:07 PM

If you can weld and have the necessary kit, or if you have someone who can do it for you at reasonable hourly rates, your best bet could well be an M-Machine inner and outer sill sub-assembly. That cuts down the time to do the job.

There is almost no chance that it will just be an outer sill. Once you cut the outer off be prepared for the inner to be in bad shape as well.

From the photo it is noticeable that you also need a new door skin. That is not unusual either.

Edited by Cooperman, 21 March 2018 - 01:08 PM.

#8 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:56 PM

If you can weld and have the necessary kit, or if you have someone who can do it for you at reasonable hourly rates, your best bet could well be an M-Machine inner and outer sill sub-assembly. That cuts down the time to do the job.

There is almost no chance that it will just be an outer sill. Once you cut the outer off be prepared for the inner to be in bad shape as well.

From the photo it is noticeable that you also need a new door skin. That is not unusual either.

The issue I have is if i cut it open what else am I going to find, I know no one can say as they havent seen the car. The inner and outer sill would be a good option and I know someone who welds for 10 cans of John Smiths which I think is a good hourly rate. 

I do not have access to a garage so what would you say for timescale, cutting out and welding new in? My biggest concern is opening a can of worms and not being about to get the car moved (in the progress of buying my first house, which unfortunately will not be complete by time MOT is due)

I want to get the this car back on the road, but I dont want to bodge it. At the same time Im worried I wouldnt have the facilities or funds to get it sorted if i do cut it open

#9 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:56 PM

looks like oversills. prepare yourself for a lot of rust.

Remove your carpet, remove all the sound insulating stuff and you will find a lot of holes there...

They are not over sills and surprisingly there is no holes in the floor

#10 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

Options are quite a lot, from a big tin of underseal and crossing your fingers, to a full sill replacement , which is probably going to end up being many many hours of chasing rust. The rear edge doesn't look too clever.

MOT legal fix would be to find solid metal and patch over it with a plate continuously seam welded over any holes. It's not the best option, and no doubt would get frowned upon on here, but would get through MOT. Most of the minis on the road today would've had this kind of repair in the past to keep them going.

Merv

Thank you for giving me an honest answer, the passenger side has had oversill fitted to it, no doubt to get it through an MOT at some point which I knew at the time of purchase. I know i bought quite a bodged car but I fell in love with the Sidewalk edition many years ago

#11 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:01 PM

If you dont have much time space etc for a temporary repair cut the rotten section out and put a piece in off of a cut down oversill. ( you can use the cut down pieces for small repairs as necessary.)
You arent going to know until you open it up. I agree looking at it I think outer sills with repairs to the inner and possibly heel board ends are a minimum you will find realistically.

You can do a sill on a driveway on a dry day in afew hours especially if you do the cutting and prep work ahead of time. The actual welding takes minutes.

Edited by dyshipfakta, 21 March 2018 - 06:03 PM.

#12 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:39 PM

If you dont have much time space etc for a temporary repair cut the rotten section out and put a piece in off of a cut down oversill. ( you can use the cut down pieces for small repairs as necessary.)
You arent going to know until you open it up. I agree looking at it I think outer sills with repairs to the inner and possibly heel board ends are a minimum you will find realistically.

You can do a sill on a driveway on a dry day in afew hours especially if you do the cutting and prep work ahead of time. The actual welding takes minutes.

That might be a good idea, if I had to fit the full over sill after I cut the outer sill out, how bad would this be?

If the sale of the house goes through before the MOT is due so i can get the car there i will do it properly. Unless anyone has a good idea to get the car to another house that isnt going to cost the world?

#13 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

Patch it for now with a plan to save for a proper fix in the future. But before you do this have a good poke about with a screwdriver at common rust spots/mot fail areas. There's no point in doing a patch to take her for an mot and find 10 more holes! Better to accept the rot and restore.

#14 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:34 PM

Patch it for now with a plan to save for a proper fix in the future. But before you do this have a good poke about with a screwdriver at common rust spots/mot fail areas. There's no point in doing a patch to take her for an mot and find 10 more holes! Better to accept the rot and restore.

to be honest this is the route i think i will be going. It only needs to be for the summer and it is going to be dry stored once im in the new house. I know it goes against what most people say and I agree with them but my current situation is pushing me towards the patch route. I know what i will be masking and I havent solved the problem but It will let me get another summer with it before i fully strip it down and sort it out properly

#15 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:58 PM

Unless anyone has a good idea to get the car to another house that isnt going to cost the world?

have you thought about hiring a car transporter trailer? Or tried getting a few quotes from recovery services?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users