18 replies to this topic

#16 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:49 PM

It looks from the pictures that the sill is beyond patching and renewal is the only option. The structural integrity of the vehicle is compromised with this level of corrosion and nothing other than a comprehensive repair is acceptable. Covering over with patches will not help in an emergency if the seat belt anchorage is not completely supported. Costs for a repair such as this are very difficult to quantify as the full extent of the repair cannot be seen until the old sill has been removed, and once removed you are committed to carry on. It appears as you have time constraints, so  either lay the vehicle up until such times as it can be repaired or bite the bullet and get it repaired properly now, remembering that repairs such as this just eat money and if someone offers to do it for a few cans of John Smiths they are probably using the empties for the patches.

This may be not what you wanted to hear but as you are asking for advice from forum members all comments should be considered. 

#17 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:18 AM

This is what classic car ownership is all about.

#18 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:19 PM

I would also say buy a phone mounted endoscope so you can have a look inside the holes of the sills. That will help you to decide if you patch and wait or stop and restore

#19 Marco1972

Marco1972

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:18 PM

Personally I think it’s false economy patching it up
Do it once and do it right you’ll have peace of mind knowing the rust has gone
Most of us have been where you are now ( I know I was ) I contemplated a patch up job but when I opened it up I saw the true extent of the rust and I’m glad I did and I repaired it properly
Just my 10pence worth
End of the day it’s your car good luck with it.

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users