18 replies to this topic

#16 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 06:48 PM

There is currently a petition open to ask for this issue of excessively bright headlights to be considered by Parliament.

1,164 signatures so far, needs 10,000 signatures to be taken forward.

Ban or reduce the excessive brightness of LED or HID high intensity car lights

Car head lights are now so bright that it's hard to see driving in the dark because you get blinded by the oncoming cars with high intensity discharge (hid) or led driving lights.

The law needs to be changed to greatly reduce the brightness.

Link: https://petition.par...etitions/204401

#17 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:43 AM

Though some cyclists are the worst offenders with ultra bright led spots aimed straight ahead. 

The other one that boils my ****, the Mark Cavendish effect where you meet 30 cyclists in a pack at night all trying to outdo each other's lights

The worst case I find of cyclists is when they have a powerful LED lamp fixed onto their helmet.......as their head moves around the bright light goes everywhere and also confuses oncoming drivers as to what they are approaching as the dazzling light appears to be floating around high up in the air!

Edited by mab01uk, 02 April 2018 - 09:44 AM.

#18 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:24 PM

In a situation after dark at a T-junction when waiting to pull out, 68% admitted to finding it difficult to tell whether or not some approaching vehicles had their indicators on due to the brightness of the headlights.

This became a problem as far back as the eighties when most manufacturers thought it was a great idea to place the indicator right next to the headlight instead of away from it as on the Mini.

I've noticed more and more drivers using full beam in built up areas with street lights, the law allows you to use sidelights in those conditions.

i must be honest and say regardless of what the law says i really don't think it's a good idea to just use sidelights in built up areas. People nataurally look for light when looking to pull out and if someone half asleep (as we all are at times) it would be very easy to miss a car with just sides on especially if it happened to be caught in a shadow at the time. Less some lights are too bright but often its more a case of being seen than seeing yourself. (same as using dipped beam in rain but not fogs!!!)

This problem was solved on vehicles fitted with dim/dip lighting and was exactly why the system was introduced.  Then the EU told us it wasn't allowed because it wasn't their idea. 

#19 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:14 PM

I have a quality HID kit fitted in my projector headlights in my Landrover and think they are fantastic!

Best mod Ive made to it without a doubt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users