New To Minis

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wonky Matelot

Wonky Matelot
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

Hello everyone. I am based in Portsmouth in the UK, and I am intent on picking a Rover Mini up for my wife; it was her first car and she has fond memories of it and I would like to take her back to her youth in some small way. As a newbie to Minis I have some fairly mundane queries that I hope someone can address; I want to get the purchase right and avoid the usual pratfalls of the inexperienced. I am looking for something built between 1990-2000 (give or take) and a max budget of 10K. So:

1. What are the main differences between a Cooper and the rest of the range? Like for like condition-wise, are they worth the extra money?
2. What are the areas that commonly go wrong that I should look out for prior to purchase? Im thinking rust/mechanical fragility etc.
3. Any tips on the more and less reputable dealers and websites?
4. My how longs a piece of string question, but what can I expect to pay annually in running costs?

Any and all guidance greatfully received!

#2 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:00 PM

Good luck on getting a mini ! Ive just bought my second a 96 SPI cooper. Im new to the mini scene myself but can pass a few tips: Firstly from what ive heard. The newer minis suffer with rust more than the older cars. 

1. From what i understand its mainly just power and engine size. Personally i have a carb mini and now and SPI i prefer the carb mini it feels much more raw and fun to drive

2. Several common rust points, Sills, A panels , Scuttle, Under headlights, Boot floor, lower edges of door skins. https://www.minimani...d_Classic_Minis

3. Never used a website bought my first mini at the London to Brighton mini run, and my second from a friend i knew in person sorry

4. Depends on what goes - rust can be cosmetic or structural. Both can be expensive to fix however one you MUST fix and one you can try live with. Insurance in my experience ( 21 male london) is cheap. Both my cars get good fuel mileage both 998 and 1275 engines. Cant give you figures as i only take them out for fun not a daily driver. Alot of mini daily drivers on here tho! 

With that budget you can buy one no problem. My 998 1986 carb mini was i think 3 or 4k and the 1996 SPI cooper was 6k. Insurance was around £400 and £600 respectively. 

Had my carb mini 1 year as a weekend car and had to spend atleast £500 to keep it going, i had to get it tuned as it would not run. Oil leaks, new pads and new CVs .

Spent probably another £700 on cosmetics like cosmetic rust on door skins, adding a CB radio, changing brake discs, hoses etc, . 

Edited by phillrulz, 25 March 2018 - 07:01 PM.

#3 Wonky Matelot

Wonky Matelot
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

Thanks ever so much for the detailed response. Youve given me plenty to be getting on with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users