#1 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:51 PM

Hello All,

Thought I'd introduce myself, I recently joined the forum for help and advise as me and my Girlfriend are looking to buy our first Mini.

I've been into cars my whole life and have owned a few cars in my 22 years too. Most notably a new Astra GTC running a full airlift set up which was great for the 5 minutes it actually worked ;-) . We recently moved into our first house together and are now on the hunt for a little project to fill our time. Mini's have been a passion of mine for years and thought now is defiantly to buy one.   

We really want to buy an older mini preferable that needs work (can't imagine it'll be hard to find lol) to resort back to a former glory. Would love to turn around an old Barn find as we have a garage to store it. I know someone that owns a body shop so rust, paint etc can be sorted and I do love a challenge. Although I've owned heavily modified cars in the past we really want to just build one that is period correct but with the driving and handling of a new car. nothing to crazy under the hood. (Maybe the second mini)

Just wondering where people have found there's from. I've been looking at the usual sites but seem to see such massive differences in prices for what I can tell are similar cars. We have around £3k to spend which I know isn't much but as I said we want to restore one from a sorry state there is plenty out there. My only other option is save and buy one that's already been restored for a bit more if I don't find one that takes my fancy.

Any advise is more than welcomed as they're a new venture for us.

thanks all :D

#2 Milton

Milton

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local Club: what no brakes

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:42 PM

You obviously have knowledge and experience of working on cars. My advice would be to firstly decide what you want to achieve. If you want to restore a classic mini to factory spec then buy a mark 1, 2 or 3. If you want to modify and upgrade the engine, gearbox, suspension and alter the body then buy a later mark 4 upwards.

In my opinion it is wrong to modify early minis, keep them original for posterity. Some will say to modify and 59 - 00 mini is wrong, but, if you have to modify then get a later one

#3 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:47 PM

Choose the style you like, Saloon, Estate, Van, pickup and think about what look you are after.
You can modify any of them if the wish takes you; after all it’s your car..... so I don’t agree with the poster above.

FS

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,796 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:35 PM

In my opinion it is wrong to modify early minis, keep them original for posterity. Some will say to modify and 59 - 00 mini is wrong, but, if you have to modify then get a later one

I was their in the early days (1960-70's) and most people modified their Minis back then, a whole industry grew up from modding the Mini.......even little old ladies often swapped the large bus steering wheel for something smaller! Period mods can look great and it can get boring at shows these days to see lines of similar factory spec cars.

Just to prove the point take a look at the Mk1 Performance website:-

http://mk1-performan...k/mk1_index.htm

Popular Motoring Mini Mod Guide from the 1960's:-

http://mk1-performan...i_mod_guide.pdf

#5 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:34 AM

thanks all, I do like the idea of a period correct one with everything new underneath. We shall see it'll depends on what we find out there. If I find one that's already modified then I may. I love modifying cars but do fancy the idea of a nice restoration too. We plan on keeping this mini for our children so will be around for a very long time hopefully!

:mrcool:

#6 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:45 PM

thanks all, I do like the idea of a period correct one with everything new underneath. We shall see it'll depends on what we find out there. If I find one that's already modified then I may. I love modifying cars but do fancy the idea of a nice restoration too. We plan on keeping this mini for our children so will be around for a very long time hopefully!

Hi, just wondering how the mini hunt is going? Did you find what you're looking for?
Chris

#7 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:56 AM

Hi, just wondering how the mini hunt is going? Did you find what you're looking for?
Chris

Hi Chris/All

Mini hunt is still on! We’re close to buying one now(end of month) but I have one in mind too but not sure if he’ll sell yet. If this isn’t a goer then i’ll Be back on the hunt. I have been bidding on fleebay a little bit but lost two of them. I’d rather not buy this way so won’t roll the dice as high as some do without seeing the car.

Ive been attending lots of shows to look at as many as i can see. And of course doing a fair amount of research to find where the common rust issues will be etc. We have however decided on a budget of 3-3.5k for the mini. I’m aiming for a mk4 or a fair solid mk5 for this kind of money. I want to be able to drive it for 12 months minimum before restoring it. Engine and spec isn’t really an issue as i’M going to build the mini I’ve always wanted so this one won’t be stock and i’ll Be changing the engine etc in the future.

I’m popping to a show again this weekend at the British Motor museum for a walk around.

Cheers

#8 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

Hi All,

its finally happening, I should be in one this weekend. I have a few to look at but wanted a bit of advise. Is a 3 hour drive back in one unrealistic considering I'd have never driven the car before? has 12 months mot etc.

also what's everyone's thoughts on Automatic's ?

thanks

#9 Eds.mini.lulu

Eds.mini.lulu

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:04 PM

i would say brave, but alot of people do i'm. do you have breakdown cover?  :lol:

it all depends on the car really, ive never experienced a mini auto so can't comment, i know they can be converted back to manual if you desire. But i believe you need a different block(engine) and a new front subframe , dont hold me on this though i am no expert.  however i know you wll not regret buying a mini they bring alot of joy (and frustration). the good times are great and the bad times......well.....arent great  :lol:

good luck and many happy mini years to follow. 

#10 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:02 AM

Hi, 

12 months MOT doesn't really give you a clue as to whether it will get you home or not!

Breakdown cover is a good investment, if you have to get towed off the motorway it'll cost £££s

Good luck and enjoy your mini experience!

Cheers  :proud:

#11 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:13 AM

Hello,

I'm going to view one tomorrow evening now, approx. 1.5hrs away. will make sure I'm covered on breakdown but its a nice spec 95' sprite 1275 manual :)

who does everyone recommend for insurance ? Is Adrian Flux the most common ? 

thanks

#12 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:56 AM

Update all,

We finally own one ! After looking a so many minis and not finding one we wanted I decided to try one I’d seen at a show previously. This is definitely more of a project and needs a lot of work. Picked him up yesterday and drove it an hour and 40mins home. Probably the most fun I’ve ever had driving ?

Here’s the only picture I have so far (on his first pub run last night) it’s a Mini Mayfair 92’

Lots & lots of stuff to sort ?

Attached Files

#13 Cytruss

Cytruss

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:12 PM

Looks good! :) Congratulations to the mini then  :lol:

#14 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:12 PM

thank you! Unfortunately got to wait until Saturday to put the new exhaust on so no driving it this week! 

plan on rewiring my spots and fixing my headlights tomorrow night though :D finding a lot of cable ties holding things together at the moment so this will also get addressed :shifty:

#15 Cytruss

Cytruss

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:32 PM

Cable ties have andendless use hehe, quick fix for a small problem sometimes  :lol:  planning on "re dressing" my loom in the coming months!

Edited by Cytruss, 03 July 2018 - 07:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users