24 replies to this topic

#1 leewaa

leewaa

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:58 PM

So I need the camshaft timing gear to sit up higher but afaik only the crankshaft timing gear is shimable. See the pic below, its not much but I think its not ok like this.. any ideas?
Attached File  1D3461F3-2667-44A9-A541-6D99FEF48789.jpeg   28.99K   6 downloads

Edited by leewaa, 29 March 2018 - 08:01 PM.

#2 leewaa

leewaa

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:00 PM

Sorry the uploader rotated the image... bit limited since im on my phone.

#3 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:08 PM

I know it's probably obvious but have you double checked there is no shims on the crank? I was fitting mine and couldn't see the shims on the crank. 

whats the end float on the cam? have you put a new triangle plate for holding the cam in? and whats the thickness of it, It may be a little thin.

you'd have to skim the difference off on a mill or lathe.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,923 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:13 PM

When checking, 'thrust' the Cam in to the Thrust Plate, ie, push the Cam towards the front of the engine.

If it's ground correctly, when running, it will naturally thrust this way and won't 'sit' any other way.

#5 leewaa

leewaa

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:39 PM

Its a fresh build so no existing shims on the crank, so new cam, new triangle plate. Unfortunately I dont have access to a mil or lathe.

Got my hopes up there, but unfortunately the camshaft is still sitting as far forwad as possible and there’s still a small difference.

I am using the timing cover from retrosport so this could be the cause.

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:41 PM

Its a fresh build so no existing shims on the crank, so new cam, new triangle plate. Unfortunately I dont have access to a mil or lathe.

Got my hopes up there, but unfortunately the camshaft is still sitting as far forwad as possible and there’s still a small difference.

are you using the gasket they supplied?

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:47 PM

have a read http://www.theminifo...ley-shim/page-3

#8 leewaa

leewaa

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:49 PM

I new it would come done to this

are you using the gasket they supplied?

Bingo!

I knew it would come down to the gasket

I had the origanally used the one they supplied but wasn’t happy with my work (first time doing this) so I redid it with less sealant. The gasket is thicker now which explains it, I was actually thinking that the thicker gasket is better but didnt realize the issue untill now.

#9 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:51 PM

Yep, i made the mistake of trying to be clever and use the Rover gasket. DSN provide a thicker gasket.

#10 leewaa

leewaa

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:42 PM

Oh wait a minute

The gasket currently fitted seems thicker than the DSN one from what I can remember. While I was in the garage I thought that the thicker gasket is the issue but actually I need the gasket to be thicker. Either that or a thicker locating plate maybe. Though I will check it all again in the morning to suss some things out.

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:55 PM

yes the gasket thickness effects the cam cog position. remember to torque the nut down on the cog to make sure it is all seated correctly (well it just needs to be tight so everything is where it needs to be).

to be honest i am slightly disappointed that DSN have decided that you need to use a non standard gasket when they could have easily made the cam thrust plate mounting at the correct distance....

#12 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:07 PM

yes the gasket thickness effects the cam cog position. remember to torque the nut down on the cog to make sure it is all seated correctly (well it just needs to be tight so everything is where it needs to be).

to be honest i am slightly disappointed that DSN have decided that you need to use a non standard gasket when they could have easily made the cam thrust plate mounting at the correct distance....

It may have been an oversight when they designed the covers as it would seem that many don't realise how important the gasket thickness is when it comes to timing gear alignments. The easiest fix is to have some thicker gaskets cut, but it does mean that you have to buy your gaskets from them.

I suppose you could use the standard gasket and use shim washers under the thrust plate instead.

#13 leewaa

leewaa

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:07 PM

Yeah makes sense now that I am able to think about it in piece and quiet :D was a long and frustrating day in the garage today. 

The cam thrust plate I have is from Minispares. The gasket from DSN is currently out of stock too...

#14 leewaa

leewaa

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:11 PM

It may have been an oversight when they designed the covers as it would seem that many don't realise how important the gasket thickness is when it comes to timing gear alignments. The easiest fix is to have some thicker gaskets cut, but it does mean that you have to buy your gaskets from them.

I suppose you could use the standard gasket and use shim washers under the thrust plate instead.

Actually I was thinking about some shim washers under the locating plate too however I am not sure if this is ok ?

Its off by approx. 5 thou...

#15 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:50 AM

What is your reasoning for it not to be OK? The triangular plate is steel backed, and retained with three bolts. As long as you use the same thickness washers, it wont make one bit of difference to the function of the plate its self.

You can buy shim washers as small as 5mm ID in 0.1mm increments

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users