#1 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:11 PM

Hi folks,

Anyone got experience of these little puddle hoppers? My eldest is learning to drive soon and considering one of the above might be an ideal first car, yes yes I know its not a Mini but sadly I dont think a Mini is an ideal first car anymore.

All helpful comments welcome.

#2 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:16 PM

got a citigo its great little fun car

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:16 PM

My wife has the VW High Up Bluemotion. 75 bhp, heated seats, air con, five door. Lovely little car, quite well specced for its size. Silly fuel economy, natty little Tom Tom type screen giving you loads of info and also a good sat nav. Metallic black.

The engine is only a 3 pot so do not go expecting big acceleration but it will comfortably exceed the national speed limit.

Later this year we will be looking at the GTI to see if that will be worth getting.

#4 surfblue

surfblue

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:54 PM

My wife has the VW High Up Bluemotion. 75 bhp, heated seats, air con, five door. Lovely little car, quite well specced for its size. Silly fuel economy, natty little Tom Tom type screen giving you loads of info and also a good sat nav. Metallic black.

The engine is only a 3 pot so do not go expecting big acceleration but it will comfortably exceed the national speed limit.

Later this year we will be looking at the GTI to see if that will be worth getting.

Silly as in good? What sort of figure?

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:03 PM

Silly as in good? What sort of figure?

Lets put it this way thrashing the nads of it on the M23 i saw over 55mpg. On a more gentle run it was nudging into the low 60's. Bare in mind this is a Bluemotion so supposedly more frugal on fuel.

I think if we tried it would knock on the door of 70mpg.

So all in an average of over 55 with lots of town driving and the odd spirited drive. Not bad for a petrol 3 pot. 

#6 Shep76S

Shep76S

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Local Club: L&SMOC

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:18 PM

I have had a Mii for 5 years and my sister a Citigo for the same length if time. 50mpg is easily achieved, 45 if lots of start stops. Cheaply made with lots of potential rot points. Check front wings and the filler cap area for rust. Some of them eat front discs. New tyres under £50, for me £20 tax and £170 insurance. Its a leave anywhere and not worry car.

#7 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:45 AM

The UP Gti is supposed to be a good laugh to drive.

Can't comment on the insurance cost for a 17 year old though.

#8 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:03 AM

We had a Seat Mii sport (75bhp) 3 door for 3 years and it was used by the kids post driving test. Cheap as chips to run, £20 road fund and insurance was actually cheaper for this model than the basic 60bhp basic model. (Something to do with extra safety features as standard). Great fun and good handling made it feel faster than it was.
Didn’t need anything in the time we had it and got it on a low cost PCP which made sense at the time.

FS

#9 surfblue

surfblue

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

Any idea of insurance prices for 17 / 18 year old male?

#10 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:46 AM

Any idea of insurance prices for 17 / 18 year old male?

Pick a number, double it and then you're still probably no-where near.

It's dependant on so many factors there's no way to guess an average figure.

#11 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:56 AM

Perfect for going to the shops, and collecting the pension.. :teehee:

https://www.darkside...6v-common-rail/

darkside-citigo-tdi-finished-8-.jpg?t=15darkside-citigo-tdi-finished-17-.jpg?t=1citigo-interior-9-.jpg?t=1522249377

#12 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:25 PM

While not on the list, I had a Toyota IQ a few years back. Very similar the these and was a nice little car. All of these 3-cylinder motors perform well enough and have to be absolutely abused to get much below 50mpg. I could get mine into the 60s on a clear run.

#13 surfblue

surfblue

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:38 PM

Looked at the Toyota Aygo, Citroen C1, Pug ? (what ever the tiny Pug is called) Seem less of a 'proper' car than the VW group offerings. Think it will definitely be one of that trio or Polo / Ibiza if we go up a size.

#14 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:58 AM

Whats the price of the C1/108/Aygo etc now though?  I think it's crept up abit and no longer such a decent deal?

My parents bought the original Pug 107, got a higher spec model with Air Con and a Rev counter - brand new it was £6500.

#15 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:40 PM

Looked at the Toyota Aygo, Citroen C1, Pug ? (what ever the tiny Pug is called) Seem less of a 'proper' car than the VW group offerings. Think it will definitely be one of that trio or Polo / Ibiza if we go up a size.

When we bought the IQ we had the same feeling about all of those, even the Aygo! I suspect they've all upped their game now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users