Photo

Hello! A Little Bit Of Advice Please....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Idleboy08

Idleboy08
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:31 PM

Hello Mini Forum

My name is Geoff and I'm new to the mini forum. I am a proud owner of a '91 mini, which I brought just over 4 years ago. She is affectionally known as Milly and is an important member of our little family. We have been on many adventures together and love blasting around the Yorkshire Dales, which are only 30 mins away from where we live. 

The main purpose for joining the forum is to ask for a little bit of advice. I am just about to change my rear sub-frame. I am pretty good with the spanners, so I'm more than confident I'll be able to do the job. However, before I jack the car up and get stuck in I was hoping somebody on the forum will be able to provide me with a step by step guide to removing the old sub-frame. I'm sure it will be fairly straight-forward but it would be useful to know what sequence and order I need to do things. Any other practice advice would also be very much appreciated.

Attached File  Burnsall_090314_1.jpg   99.11K   0 downloads

Hope you can help

Idleboy08

Edited by Idleboy08, 04 April 2018 - 07:49 PM.

#2 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:46 PM

Welcome to the forum. I suggest one of the first purchases you make is a Haynes manual. It's probably the best bang for your buck you're likely to make. It's all explained in there. They're not very expensive and they'll save you a fortune.

#3 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:53 PM

Hi, what a great looking mini!

Sorry I can't help with the step by step, but if you haven't bought your new sub frame yet, TMF+ membership (for a fiver) gets you 7.5% off at minispares and discounts at other vendors. Well worth it. 

#4 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:55 PM

You need to start by using penetrating oil on the bolts that go into the heel board.

I think they can be accessed from the inside through the companion bin

#5 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:18 PM

Hi, what a great looking mini!

Sorry I can't help with the step by step, but if you haven't bought your new sub frame yet, TMF+ membership (for a fiver) gets you 7.5% off at minispares and discounts at other vendors. Well worth it.

And just as important a subscription supports the forum as well.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:30 PM

There's no particular order necessary. It's worth seeing if the front mounting bolts want to play first. They are prone to seizing and snapping, so if you're not geared up with a welder you might want the services of a local garage. Easier to get there if you haven't disconnected the brake lines and exhaust!

Carlos beat me to it. Though alas, you'll have to cut through the sills to gain decent access to the captive nuts.

#7 TobyM2018

TobyM2018

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:11 PM

Hello. Great to hear that you're having fun using your mini.

Good luck with the repairs and welcome to TMF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users