7 replies to this topic

#1 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:25 PM

I am hoping that these were not relatives of anyone here. These are the tragic consequences that appear to be caused by following GPS directions and renting a very small car when the locals drive huge pickups. These people were just going back home after visiting the space center.

I am surprised that the pickup driver is not facing any charges.  It is not fun to drive the Mini around here anymore since there is so much traffic, most people are driving huge pickups like zombies and do not see small cars or motorcycles. 

https://www.wftv.com...crash/725971776

#2 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:39 PM

A sad story indeed, but what on earth leads you to believe the pick up driver should be charged with anything? there's not much detail in the news report but it sounds like they tried a U turn right into the path of the truck?

#3 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:21 PM

I am not saying that the driver is guilty of anything. The only reason I am saying that I am surprised of no charges yet, is that most people drive above the speed limit regardless of weather and traffic conditions in this area. Until about ten years ago, people seemed to have more patience and common sense when driving, there were fewer cars on the road, rarely anybody would blow a horn and road rage was "elsewhere".  These days it seems that I need my Focus ST just to keep up with the traffic!  

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,779 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:36 AM

Until about ten years ago, people seemed to have more patience and common sense when driving, there were fewer cars on the road, rarely anybody would blow a horn and road rage was "elsewhere".

Sadly the same thing is happening in many parts of the UK especially in roads and areas in and around busy cities like London, a minor accident or breakdown causes gridlock and even the roads are falling apart and full of pot holes. Probably the reason many drivers now opt for using an SUV 'Monster truck' as everyday transport......

Edited by mab01uk, 05 April 2018 - 06:38 AM.

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:26 AM

I'm sure it's the same as here. If there's even suspicion of an offence charges  need to be made so that evidence is properly gathered. Doesn't make anybody guilty and protects those accused with due process. 

#6 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

Tragic, people just enjoying a holiday, you truly never know the minute.

We are off to Florida in July, the hire car will as always be a large V8 4x4, you do feel safer in something that size.

#7 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:16 PM

Tragic, people just enjoying a holiday, you truly never know the minute.
We are off to Florida in July, the hire car will as always be a large V8 4x4, you do feel safer in something that size.

Good choice, even though a 4x4 might be an over kill. I hope you enjoy your holiday. My advice is to study your route ahead of time before setting off with the GPS. Stay on the right lane and maintain a real good distance from the car ahead. If you miss a turn, just continue to the next exit and plan your reroute, stop at a store or shopping center parking lot if necessary. Do not stop on the road shoulder. Speaking of road shoulder, when there are emergency vehicles on the road shoulder, the cars in the lane next to the shoulder must reduce the speed to 20 MPH below the speed limit, or move over to a lane further away. It's the "move over" law to prevent injuries to emergency responders. 
Lastly, if you are in traffic and you are about to cross a railroad track, make sure there is room for you on the other side before you go across . Its amazing the number of train/car accidents lately that make no sense. It is all common sense and being aware of your surroundings.   

Edited by xrocketengineer, 05 April 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#8 Albannach

Albannach

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:31 PM

Because your GPS says you need to turn round and go the other way, its still sensible to think, before making a hasty decision.
As xrocketengineer commented, everybody is exceeding the speed limits, except in known Speed Trap areas. I flew home yesterday, and hired a car to get from Daytona to Miami. Through no fault of my own, the Hire Car I'd rented was returned very late, which meant i had to drive consistently 15 mph over the limit all the way to MIA. I was being passed every few seconds by other faster drivers on
1-95. Usually little old ladies who could barely see over the dashboard.
Its very easy to spot the UK tourists because of their hesitancy at junctions. One poor family turning into Le Juene Rd at the Airport to return their Rental was involved in a fender bender in front of me. They'd blocked a major junction, with impatient drivers blowing their horns, which rattled them. They then nipped into a Petrol Station just to get off the road, but instead of taking a minute to calm down, they came straight back out and hit an SUV head on. Luckily nobody seemed to be hurt.
Damned shame about the 4 people killed going back to their holiday accomodation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users