11 replies to this topic

#1 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:43 PM

Hi guys. So I'm driving down the road in my 1984 1.3 mini, and a horrible noise comes from the driveshafts on turning a corner. Upon inspection i notice some play in the front hubs. I took the driverside drive shaft out and found no issues with it (this was the side that looked to be an issue). Built it all back together and took it for a drive. First corner i came to it sounded as though the driveshaft 'popped' out again. No drive, just a hideous clunking and grabbing noise. I didn't take the joint off, just popped the driveshaft out. Anyone have any similar issues and anyone be know the solution? Pretty sure they're the offset sphere type shafts looking in my haynes manual
Thanks.
Paul.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

which end popped?

diff end? inner part on the driveshft the wrong way round?

#3 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:26 PM

When investigating it, it seemed to be diff end. Hope it's not box/diff problems. Everything went back the same way it cave off. Never had a problem with it before

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,843 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:00 PM

The spider and balls on the inboard CV with stock parts sit quite close to the outer end of the CV itself.

If you've got worn rubbers on the inner of the lower arm or loads of neg Camber, then it's quite easy for the balls of the inboard CV to just pop clear on the CV bell. It will make quite a noise and you'll loose drive. This is much more pronounce on suspension droop, so when cornering, this can occur on the inboard wheel.

#5 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:07 PM

There's no play, droop or too much negative camber on the suspension though. It's been set up properly and I've no issues in 6 weeks of having the car. Would more weight than normal in the car effect it? Could the offset joint be worn?
I'll dive check everything suspension wise though.
Thanks moke

#6 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:39 PM

Had another look. No play on anything but the gearstick doesn't centralize any more. Or sounds as though the gears are 'missing' teeth in all 4 gears. Very strange

#7 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:11 PM

Does it crunch in reverse ?

It has been known for the diff pinion nut to come loose....

It can make all sorts of noises in the 4 forward gears, the tooth angle on the crown wheel and pinion pushes the pinion out, hence the crunching.

In reverse the tooth angle pulls the pinion in and it will drive OK once engauged.

Hopefully its not.

#8 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:52 PM

Sounds feasible. It doesnt 'grab' the gears on forward motion. Pretty certain it does it on reverse ( but I've pushed the car back onto the driveway when test-driving it up and didn't the street). It's that a big job to do?

#9 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:55 PM

Tell you what it sounds like. Remember riding your push bike as a kid, and ur chain would slip and you'd get that quick 'grab-and-relsease' action? It's about like that, but more heart breaking.

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:45 PM

i would say engine mount and popped drive shaft partially engaged but not enough.

#11 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:54 PM

We are all assuming the clutch works fine...Could be drive shaft issue or diff pinion.

Your description of the bike chain jumping and it starting when cornering makes me think its a pot joint giving up.

Make sure you are on a reasonably flat surface, with bonnet up

Jack the front up and support it well on 2 axle stands.

Scotch the back wheels and make sure the handbrake is well on

Start the engine put it in 1st and have a look...both wheels should turn, but might not.

It will be better with 2 people, the 'driver'  can then try a bit of gas and a bit of left foot braking to act as load. You may then be able to diagnose it better.

If its the pot joint spider or balls; the driveshaft on one side might not be turning properly, and the pot will be, having some load should help, you can hopefully make it  make the same sort of noises.

If its a driveshaft not engaging the CV joint splines; the shaft will turn and the wheel will stop under brake load.

The driveshaft is an easy fix, a loose diff pinion is engine out / spit / rebuild scenario.

I have known the pot joint balls / cup to give a reverse only Mini.

Good luck, and please be careful

#12 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:45 PM

Had another look. Jacked it up and tried all gears. I was by myself with no helper but both wheels turned and no noises from anywhere under load or 'idling' in each gear. Drove it later and it didnt reverse either. Gearstick seems wobbly but i think thats just me as it engages gears. Splines at hub end of each driveshaft and pot joints dont look worn.
Im fearing the worst here. Any other ideas? I did try all gears with driver side driveshaft out and the passenger wheel didn't spin in gear and I could change gear without clutch depressed. Could a diff swap be appropriate?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users