9 replies to this topic

#1 MiniJimNI

MiniJimNI

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:01 AM

Hi guys what all do I need for a front subframe rebuild?

I'm not good with a Haynes manual like to keep it simple as a list!

Any help much appreciated as I'm new to all this!

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:27 AM

https://www.minispar...on~.aspx?1~8~66

1, 12, 28, 37, 34, 30, 42, 20, 18

https://www.minispar...ion.aspx?1~8~65

21, 19, 5, 16

Front wheel bearings

Probably more, depends what you're starting with

Edited by alex-95, 07 April 2018 - 08:28 AM.

#3 MiniJimNI

MiniJimNI

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:50 AM

Just have the front sub poly bush kit and fitting kit top arms but they need refurbed

#4 miniireland

miniireland

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:12 AM

im doing this too, i saw your facebook post too, glad you posted it here, doing mine on a budget and buying second hand where i can to refurb, please add photos as you go

#5 MiniJimNI

MiniJimNI

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:25 AM

Will do buddy! Just trying to gather all i have at the minute the next job is to refurb everything

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:44 AM

im doing this too, i saw your facebook post too, glad you posted it here, doing mine on a budget and buying second hand where i can to refurb, please add photos as you go

Good work that you are taking this job on, however, I'm having trouble getting my head around it. You have worn out parts on your front subframe that you're going to remove and replace with different worn out parts that you've bought? 

Am I missing something?

The reason they are usually rebuilt is to replace all the wear parts.

#7 miniireland

miniireland

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:51 AM

Good work that you are taking this job on, however, I'm having trouble getting my head around it. You have worn out parts on your front subframe that you're going to remove and replace with different worn out parts that you've bought? 

Am I missing something?

The reason they are usually rebuilt is to replace all the wear parts.

Converting from wet to dry

Edited by miniireland, 20 April 2018 - 08:52 AM.

#8 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:35 PM

You don't need to buy any 2nd hand parts, just use what you have

The wet top arms are more desirable as opposed to dry for the point that the knuckle position is liked more on the arm. Remove the bump rubber on the arm and buy new shock top arm bolts with the spacers, this takes care of your top arms with a pin and bushes rebuild kit

Check the lower fulcrum pins as they take a bit of hammering over the years and the threads can get a bit corroded due to their position, so invest in 2 new ones. Buy 2 new front cones as well

Apart from some new bushes all round you are done, Front wet frames did not have any pear drop or floor to subframe mounts

Buy a new pair of front Tie Bars if yours are all bent, but invest in a pair of adjustable as they are more hard wearing

The rears, radius arm rebuild kits for 2, and some new bushes and re-use the mounts with new bushes. You may need 2 new support pins, and 2 new cones and again your done.

Setting apart wheel bearings, shoes, brake cylinders, calipers, cylinders and nut and bolts, there is not much expense new. Don't buy cheap brake parts either, they save your life, don't let them kill you

Buy cheap, pay twice !!!

Cheap is not the best option, we have all been hard up, but do things right first time round, if you don't have the money, wait until you do. Sorry if this sounds hard, but I am hoping to save you money all round in doing the job right in the first place and not squandering your money on parts you do not need at all.

#9 miniireland

miniireland

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:28 AM

You don't need to buy any 2nd hand parts, just use what you have

The wet top arms are more desirable as opposed to dry for the point that the knuckle position is liked more on the arm. Remove the bump rubber on the arm and buy new shock top arm bolts with the spacers, this takes care of your top arms with a pin and bushes rebuild kit

Check the lower fulcrum pins as they take a bit of hammering over the years and the threads can get a bit corroded due to their position, so invest in 2 new ones. Buy 2 new front cones as well

Apart from some new bushes all round you are done, Front wet frames did not have any pear drop or floor to subframe mounts

Buy a new pair of front Tie Bars if yours are all bent, but invest in a pair of adjustable as they are more hard wearing

The rears, radius arm rebuild kits for 2, and some new bushes and re-use the mounts with new bushes. You may need 2 new support pins, and 2 new cones and again your done.

Setting apart wheel bearings, shoes, brake cylinders, calipers, cylinders and nut and bolts, there is not much expense new. Don't buy cheap brake parts either, they save your life, don't let them kill you

Buy cheap, pay twice !!!

Cheap is not the best option, we have all been hard up, but do things right first time round, if you don't have the money, wait until you do. Sorry if this sounds hard, but I am hoping to save you money all round in doing the job right in the first place and not squandering your money on parts you do not need at all.

Thanks for the above, and the plan is to build up dry subframe with engine brakes and suspension and drop complete hydro unit out with old engine, new bearings, bushes, nuts and bolts will be used, and the rear, radius arms will be removed and replaced with newly built ones with new components too, good quality bearings, cylinders, shoes, braided hoses, and proper fluid, its a project, so im collecting and building as i go, budget build as in when the budget allows, as opposed to a cheque book build....

#10 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:41 AM

You can, as above use the wet top arms which are a better leverage

But the bolt hole for the bumpstop is 5/16 and needs drilling to 3/8 fit front shocker pins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users