#1 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:46 PM

Hi,

Just returned from a weeks half term holiday in France..... and I had forgotten how well maintained their roads are compared to UK. 

motorway and also a/b type roads too (not in Mini)

like driving on a a billiard table smooth  ok.gif .....and oh so quiet.

I found the general standard of driving on motorways and fast roads to be higher too...

Within 20 mins of returning to Dover = horrendous pot holed a roads and idiot drivers... right "up me chuff" so to speak...

Moan over - back to waiting for summer....

Edited by Matt Brighton, 08 April 2018 - 02:47 PM.

#2 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:28 PM

Always found the same! Plus the beer we like is way cheaper over there  :proud: 

Found Belgian motorways to be in a sorry state though this was 4 or 5 years ago ...  

Hated coming back to the m25 after two weeks of French roads  :sneaky: 

#3 cooperdan

cooperdan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:28 PM

Yeh agreed id happily pay there tolls for there roads

#4 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 04:25 PM

Of course the French N roads used to be even better before they got the roundabout bug!

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,407 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:36 PM

In our defence we have more than twice the population density . Even so, the state of our roads is becoming a national embarrassment.

What happened, they were better in the 70's and 80's  when we had worse winters and no money.

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:40 PM

I agree French drivers are much more disciplined about use of motorway lanes than us and return to the inside lanes after overtaking, this means even the 2-lane motorways flow more freely than ours making for much more enjoyable journeys than in the UK. Due to the tolls actually being spent on the roads (no road tax in France!) most motorways also have few roadworks and very good surfaces unlike our potholed roads.

Sanef, the French motorway operator has now extended its Liber-t automatic toll payment service to UK motorists which saved me stopping at the toll booths last time I was in France. :thumbsup:

"To use the service all you need to do is register online and we will send you a small electronic transponder (or tag) that you attach to your windscreen just behind the rear-view mirror. As you approach the barriers, a device by the barrier will read your transponder (or tag), securely extract your unique reference and then automatically open the barrier without you having to stop. You will receive an invoice the following month for your tolls and then around 15 days later we will automatically collect the payment in £ (GBP) from your bank account by direct debit from your UK bank account.

Once you have subscribed you will be sent a small Tag / Transponder and you must attach it to your windscreen."

https://www.saneftol...ow-does-it-work

If you are going by Eurotunnel you can also get a special offer on this:

https://www.saneftol...er-Landing-Page

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:46 PM

What happened, they were better in the 70's and 80's  when we had worse winters and no money.

Things seem to have switched around because back then UK roads were far better than France.......

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:53 PM

I agree French drivers are much more disciplined about use of motorway lanes than us and return to the inside lanes after overtaking, this means even the 2-lane motorways flow more freely than ours making for much more enjoyable journeys than in the UK. Due to the tolls actually being spent on the roads (no road tax in France!) most motorways also have few roadworks and very good surfaces unlike our potholed roads.

no road tax in the UK either.

#9 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:57 PM

the roads are much better in France I go over every August and you can drive for miles without seeing a traffic cue

#10 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:02 PM

no road tax in the UK either.

They don't have Vehicle Tax in France either......

#11 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:38 PM

You get what you pay for. I understand the French do pay far more taxes than we do here in the UK in general.

We want the best roads, best NHS, best this and that all for 12% NI and 10p up to 40p in the pound tax brackets, apparently a full 8% behind the French equivalent.

#12 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:07 AM

They slashed investment at a time when car ownership went through the roof.

Now we're stuck with decades of under-investment and no political will to correct past mistakes.

#13 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

Keep on going through France, dodge the potholes in Belgium (they are truly horrific roads) and keep driving until you get into Germany.  Then you'll find the good roads.

#14 Ivor Badger

Ivor Badger

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:49 PM

Absolutely, even Department roads (local authority) and they don't pay road tax. Their fuel is even cheaper.

Belgian roads, a lot better than ours.

Edited by Ivor Badger, 09 April 2018 - 12:50 PM.

#15 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:08 PM

In this country they would rather spend thousands on artificial speed bumps instead of surfacing the roads.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users